OT: Shot Gun Shell Question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Shot Gun Shell Question.

Post by cshold »

Do any shotshell manufacturers today still use the melt crimp?
As I’v been going down the road of building a small .12ga. shotshell
collection, I have really taken noticed to the pride and overall quality
of materials that went into yesteryears shells. Not to mention the great
artwork and detail of the boxes. :)

Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Shot Gun Shell Question.

Post by Washita »

Wow! Now I know I'm gettin' old. Who'da ever thunk somebody would look fondly back on plastic shotshells? Any kind of plastic shotshells? I remember when they first came out. Big improvement over paper--wouldn't swell when wet. Haven't they always been completely made by machines? Not exactly old world hand-made craftsmanship, is it? :roll:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Washita wrote:Wow! Now I know I'm gettin' old. Who'da ever thunk somebody would look fondly back on plastic shotshells? Any kind of plastic shotshells? I remember when they first came out. Big improvement over paper--wouldn't swell when wet. Haven't they always been completely made by machines? Not exactly old world hand-made craftsmanship, is it? :roll:
Thanks for your response Washita, I will take that as an "I don't have an answer to your question" :P
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well that crimp is really a fold crimp with the center spot welded. It has been so long since I bought a factory load and shot it I'll have to go look at what I've got to see how they do it now (and I SELL the darn things every Monday!).

As to the art work. The marketing folks used to have ARTISTS design and make the lithography for the boxes, now it is a graphic artist who produces the art on a computer for printing. Styles have changed as well. Big bold colors became associated with particular brands and stood out on the shelf. Now everything seems very subdued.

Paper shotshells..., now that's a horse of a different color. I used to have a stash that I'd hunt with now and then just so I could smell the cases after firing. At least I wasn't sniffing model glue...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks Hobie,
Hobie, if you want that awesome everything seems right in the world paper shotshell smell,
give these a try. "Federal Gold Medal® Target - Paper, 12 Ga. 2¾" T118"
I bought a flat of these in 71/2's back in Oct. dropped well over 20 tree rats
with them. A couple shot well beyond 40 yrd’s with the old “Damascus :shock: :o " Parker. :wink:
After the 1st. of the year I plan to order another flat of the same. 8)
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

The last box of Winchester 16 gauge I bought had the burned center. They are usually not too good for reloading because the burned center makes a big hole in the middle.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore