OT-General Purpose Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

OT-General Purpose Rifle

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Well kids it looks like Christmas is late !!!! :D LOL ! Ruger is introducing a relatively faithful reproduction of Col Cooper's Scout Rifle.................................

AND I WANT ONE IN THE WORST WAY !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-rebirt ... ideo/7918/

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-General Purpose Rifle

Post by RKrodle »

That's pretty cool!!
Ricky

DWWC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I saw that over on TRF this morning and said to myself; finally Ruger made a bolt gun with sights ...... and it's UGLIER than my Ishapore 7.62 NATO. :lol: :lol:

I want one too. Now, what and or who to sell to get the funds, that is the question.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is neat. I saw Jeff Quin in just a snip of the first video.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I notice they lost the Steyr's integral bipod. I wonder if that's how they cut the cost down to 'just' $1000.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I wonder if that sight rail is removable? I'd use it with the open sights.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I was just looking at the spec sheet:
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteSc ... /6803.html
and the magazine has a more than passing resemblance to an M14 magazine. If it is interchangeable with the M14 mag that would be major cool factor.
I wonder if it's set up for stripper clips?

I think I'm drooling.

Joe
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

If they were to loose the protruding magazine and the muzzle break, they would have me for a customer.
I already have a Lee Enfield jungle carbine so I can afford to wait. :wink:

Jack
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Looks very interesting. Noticed the missing bipod as well. But Harris has one that fits on the front sling mount. I have three issues. First, it's only for righthanded folks. That puts me out of the potential buyers pool. Second, I think all stainless, including the magazine makes sense. Yes, you can keep a blued gun from rusting. But on a rifle meant to "work" a more durable material makes since. And lastly, or maybe most important. They put a darned laminated stock on it. Come on people, if it's meant for hard use, put a synthetic stock on it.

Will I buy one even if it comes in a lefty and with the other changes. Probably not. I've got a very good lefty Model 700 in 30-06. For as good as the .308 is, the 30-06 is that much better. And, I already have a Springfield Scout/Squad. Yes, it's a semi auto (the folks in the video kinda made a bolt gun sound better), but some times you do need to put out some supressing fire. And of course, it's in the magical .308, and has a synthetic stock. I know it's not stainless, but if they ever make one in stainless, I'll trade my existing one in, in a heart beat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jeepnik wrote:... They put a darned laminated stock on it. Come on people, if it's meant for hard use, put a synthetic stock on it.
+1

Thank you.

I agree on the blue but don't know that I agree on the stainless. A good matte all-weather finish would be nice.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry, the scout rifle never struck my fancy.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote:
jeepnik wrote:... They put a darned laminated stock on it. Come on people, if it's meant for hard use, put a synthetic stock on it.
+1

Thank you.

I agree on the blue but don't know that I agree on the stainless. A good matte all-weather finish would be nice.

:)
I should have been a bit more clear. I was thinking of either a matt stainless, or better still, a stainless with some sort of dark, dull coating. Part of my concern was corrosion inside the barrel.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

had one of the styers, was very nice. this looks great. Always thought the jungle carbines would make a great general purpose rifle, if it was in .308
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Saw an ad for this today. Interesting!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Guys, go have a look at michael bane's blog:

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2010/12 ... rifle.html

I hear that there may be something posted over at gunblast too.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Gunsite.htm

As for me, I'd rather have a carbine length AR-10 for that purpose.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They are NOT M14 magazines...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I can't tell from any of the pics, is the mag a single stack? Seems to stick out awful far for a double stack 10rd...

EDIT: Just found in Jeff Quinn's article it's a single stack mag.
Last edited by awp101 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I think that a Marlin levergun in any caliber with a forward mounted scope is a great option. Also, if you really need a bolt gun, http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
This Savage is a great little rifle at about half the price of the Ruger M77/Mini14 fusion.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

SFRanger7GP wrote:.....This Savage is a great little rifle at about half the price of the Ruger M77/Mini14 fusion.
I would avoid their plastic stocks though. They are pretty much useless.
The rest of the gun is very good and they can frequently be found for a good price.

Jack
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It's an Accuracy International magazine.

Considering that's the same magazine that's seen 15+ years service in the British L96 sniper rifle (seeing heavy service overseas) it's a well tested design. Apparenly there was too much variation in M14 magazines manufactured for them to be happy. There's a 5 and 10 round model made.

I want one. :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's interesting, but the single stack mag is ungainly, the Ruger bird cage is ugly and seems like it was put there to protect the threads for a suppressor, the laminated stock looks nice but begs to be swapped out for a proper synthetic, and the rail across the top of the action looks flimsy and one good knock away from a cracked. No, thank you but if I want such a curious new bolt gun I'll build one exactly to my desired specs and start at a lower base price rather than try to fix the flaws in this one.

I've a love/hate relationship with Ruger 77s. I love the looks and function of the Mauser based action and that Ruger still bothers to make a Mannlicher style, but I've always hated their triggers, ugly wood, ungainly bolt, unimpressive reputation for accuracy (on average), and most importantly their above average price. It's just a losing proposition. Savage, Remington, and the Weatherby Vanguard always seem like a better choice in almost every category that I happen to be looking at. Alternately, for less money the Marlin and Mossberg bolt guns are getting rave reviews for their good accuracy and excellent triggers (thank you Savage) and Howa and Tikka are not to be forgotten either. For something nicer I'm usually looking at a new Winchester, Kimber, Browning or Mark V. Where does that leave Ruger? Cold as a canon ball in my view.

Wish it weren't so...

Regards,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The rail is made by XS. Knowing 2/3 of the company personally, it won't be fragile.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

MrMurphy wrote:The rail is made by XS. Knowing 2/3 of the company personally, it won't be fragile.
Good to hear! Is it aluminum or steel?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

SFRanger7GP wrote:I think that a Marlin levergun in any caliber with a forward mounted scope is a great option. Also, if you really need a bolt gun, http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
This Savage is a great little rifle at about half the price of the Ruger M77/Mini14 fusion.

I agree, the Savage Scout based on the Model 10 action is a good rifle, and although Savage's basic plastic stock isn't much to look at they definitely are functional.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

This is the story of my life. I've had this in my head for a while and have been working on one based on a 1903a3. I would like to handle one of these rifles. I think I prefer the stripper clips to a DBM and there is no plastic in the 03. And of course I will have considerably less than a grand invested.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like a short short action bolt. Nothing new there - scout scope, NO attraction at all for me. Looks like just throwing a bunch of terminology at something that has been there all along.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

XS has a rail in prototype stage that will allow conventional scopes (or red dots and magnifiers) to be mounted, as well as scout scopes.

Pics exist. :)

I don't know the material the rail's made out of off hand.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I *WILL* own one of these rifles.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I had one of the Ruger Frontier rifles; that rifle turned me on to forward mounted scopes. Accuracy out of my particular example wasn't bad and would normally do about 1&1/4" for 3 at 100yds off the bench, witnessed on a number of occasions. However, there were other things I didn't like about the Frontier and I eventually sold it to help pay for the Steyr Scout that replaced it.

That background being set, this new Ruger Gunsite Scout interests me, but a few things about it are turn offs in my book:

IMHO, the flash hider is hideous and not particularily necessary. However, it's easily removed and the thread diameter and pitch is a common size for any number of muzzle brakes, other flash hiders, supressors, whatever. My preference would be for Ruger to just leave it off with a cap to protect the threads and let the customer choose what (if anything) to put on there.

They went with Accuracy International magazines?!? Maybe Ruger didn't want to leave us Steyr owners out when it came to $pare$. :twisted: In addition, one of the neat things about a forward mounted scope is the way it frees up the action for one handed "suitcase" carry. Something a lot of us here that carry leverguns around can appreciate, right? With this choice, even the 5-rd magazine sticks down to the level of the bottom of the triggerguard, which ought to make it about like carrying a '95 Winchester one handed. Sure, it can be done, but the required grip doesn't come naturally or feel comfortable for very long. I am most emphatically not enamored with what Ruger did there.

Still, when all is said and done, I'm thinking that I really want to handle one of these rifles. It wouldn't come as any surprise if I end up with one, at least long enough to run it through its' paces awhile.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

You can chalk me up as another non-believer in the scout concept. For an LEO I see some advantages and if someone wanted to stick guns into a bunch of conscript troops with little training it might be fine. But give me a good semi instead and the price you pay for the scout moniker is ridiculous. I've owned, hunted with, shot and handled enough bolt carbines that cost far less to not look twice at the scouts. For less money I'd get a Ruger Hawkeye Compact or Rem M7. But...................

That is one sweet looking gun IMO.

LK
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm a big fan of the scout rifle, I have about five set up that way.
My favorite is my SOCOM 16. Love this thing!

I'd like to get my hands on the new Ruger. I've been thinking I'd like a light short barreled .308 bolt gun.
The only thing I'm not crazy about is the magazine. I wonder how much shorter the fiver rounder would be?
I usually carrry my socom wht the five round mag and a twenty (or two) in pockets or pack.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Well, It's a 50/50 proposition with me.

I would've of gone with a METAL trigger guard, A military style finger adjustable rear sight (read ALA M-1 /M-14 style complete with a stripper clip glide), and if the M-14 mag really wasn't doable ( come on, really?!). Then I would've elected to have a five shot internal magazine (with a simple one round "Bump out"), Like Broackman's custom gun does with the rifles magazines. And a good synthetic stock ALA Savage AccuStock.

But I glad to see their trying. I would also like to see a .223, 7.62X39, 6.8 SPC versions also.

Rifleman 336
Last edited by Rifleman336 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

2ndovc wrote:The only thing I'm not crazy about is the magazine. I wonder how much shorter the fiver rounder would be?.

jb 8)
Post I wrote a couple above yours, the longest paragraph in it. :wink:
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>Noticed the missing bipod as well

I believe the intent with this Gunsite version was to make it as close as possible to Cooper's orginal specs. A bipod was not a part of those.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm thinking of these four guns:
  • the new Ruger
    a Savage 99 in .308
    a Marlin Guide Gun
    'my' Marlin 1894 'Night Scout'
The Savage is nearly identical in potential, although if you really wanted a 'high-capacity' magazine, you'd have to have one custom-made, and a suppressor would require threading the barrel (I think that ALL rifles should come with threaded muzzles and thread-protectors, so you can attach a suppressor, a flash-hider, or just something to better protect the crown than '11 degree recessing').

The Guide Gun is just as 'handy', with more knock-down power, still a reasonable magazine capacity, and if you know the range/trajectory, plenty of power 'out there' for most "General Purpose" uses.

The 'Night Scout' is handy, albeit less powerful, but the sights are in my opinion more useful than a forward-mounted scope that magnifies. I guess the 'night' part is simply the attached light, but again, unless I really need to shoot out past 200 yards I'd just as soon use a 10-shot levergun with a tubular magazine as a 20-shot bolt-action. If I really thought I needed more shots than the levergun offered, I'd want a semiauto anyway.

If I were making a bolt-action "General Purpose Rifle" I would probably use the .308 or similar cartridge, would use a detachable box magazine, but make sure the lowest capacity ones were flush with the stock, and for sights, would probably want a flip-up front sight and NECG aperture-type rear one to mount on the 'Ruger Ring' base, with QD scope rings available in case I wanted to use optics. The NECG isn't as easily adjustable as I'd like though. I do like a 'rail' under the barrel for light/laser use though.

All that being said, I do like Rugers generally... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sorry, cannot work up any enthusiasm for this. What will it do that my Garand will not? Or my AR, for that matter?
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

AJMD429 wrote: unless I really need to shoot out past 200 yards I'd just as soon use a 10-shot levergun with a tubular magazine as a 20-shot bolt-action. If I really thought I needed more shots than the levergun offered, I'd want a semiauto anyway.
As a 'lefty' in love with Marlin 1894's in .44, I couldn't agree more. :mrgreen:
If I were making a bolt-action "General Purpose Rifle" I would probably use the .308 or similar cartridge, would use a detachable box magazine, but make sure the lowest capacity ones were flush with the stock, and for sights, would probably want a flip-up front sight and NECG aperture-type rear one to mount on the 'Ruger Ring' base, with QD scope rings available in case I wanted to use optics.
Yep. Count me in there too :)

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson