ot- anealing brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

ot- anealing brass

Post by Rusty »

I have some 9.3X74R I need to blow out to make 3" .410 brass shells.
I read that I need to aneal the brass to make it easier to blow out. I'm thinking about 10 seconds in a molten lead pot should do it. What say ye?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ot- anealing brass

Post by Tycer »

That's it. Looking forward to range reports.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That'll do it .. and that would be the max time...then drop them in water...Before you dip you want to be sure to dip the area to be annealed in any kind of oil to insure the lead doesn't solder to the case. The zone to be annealed can be controlled fairly precisely if the UNPRIMED case is held in pliers so the base is flush with the top edge of the pliers... with the pliers resting on the rim of the pot...the level of the melt adjusted to the correct depth to apply to the needed zone. Keep the water well away from the pot..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I thought using pliers was a no-no when annealing brass in a molten lead pot?? I thought you were suppose to hold it with your fingers, and when the brass was too hot to hold it was annealed?? And when you used pliers you were taking a big chance of also annealing the web-which you are not suppose to do?? Especially long brass like the OP is talking about?? Tom.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

On a big case I hold the case by the rim and heat the area to be annealed with the torch. When the case is too hot to handle I drop it in the bucket of water. Works a treat PLUS I don't have water drops coming near molten lead.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

HEAD0001 I’ve read that advice too, but it was always when using a torch.. I doubt there’s many fingers that can stand being close enough to the melt long enough for a case to have time to anneal..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Best way Ive found is to use a propane torch, in a dark corner. Hold the case with fingers as a safety measure(except short little ones like 45 LC, heat to a dull red while rotating the case and drop immediately into a container of cold water. Forget any"cherryred", when you hit that especially in normal lighting, youve overheated the cases already. 45-70 sized cases should run at about 100 in 20 min. 45 colt, youve got to use pliers or single your fingers. Takes abit longer with the short caaes and pliers. Acetylene torches can be used also, but use a "soft" flame, and turn the cases as you heat them. Faster with the acetylene, as the flame is consideably hotter.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I do it pretty much the same as rogn with the propane and water. It's easy.
Old Law Dawg