refinishing a Win post 64 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

refinishing a Win post 64 94

Post by gordylew »

I'm cleaning up a friends old Winchester 94 made in 1974. his gun had been neglected for a while. I coated the frame with break free. when I began removing the fine layer of rust I found the finish wipe away as well leaving the goldish silver base color that I,ve seen on several guns from this era. will this frame take a cold blue finish such as B/C blue paste? has any one had any luck refinishing the frames on this era guns?
I still have a half of can on Dura coat parkerized color that I thought about using.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It will not take blue again and be blue. I will be a pretty plum color. You can look at the bluing on parts of the inside to see the purple - often on the rails. There was a thin plating that was blued, and when that fine rust was removed, so was the plating. Topical finishes stick fine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

I have one from 1972 that case colored nicely.

You could try cold blue to get an "antique" finish.

You could try coloring it with a propane torch.

Take care,

Tom
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Post 64 receivers can be rust blued. It's slow, but it's an option...
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: refinishing a Win post 64 94

Post by WyrTwister »

gordylew wrote:I'm cleaning up a friends old Winchester 94 made in 1974. his gun had been neglected for a while. I coated the frame with break free. when I began removing the fine layer of rust I found the finish wipe away as well leaving the goldish silver base color that I,ve seen on several guns from this era. will this frame take a cold blue finish such as B/C blue paste? has any one had any luck refinishing the frames on this era guns?
I still have a half of can on Dura coat parkerized color that I thought about using.

Try the Brownells Pxpho-Blue cold blue . Best I have tried .

But if it is like my cousin's M94 , the receiver does not come out the same color as the barrel .

Do not know what they made the receiver out of , but it is not the same steel as the barrel .

One time , I heard they were powdered metel that is fired to high temperature ( sintered ) ?

God bless
Wyr
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Tom, Can you explain the method of case coloring you used. Did you use oil and what color did you heat the metal to get the right case color? Thanks