OT-I think I'd like to move well away from either coast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-I think I'd like to move well away from either coast

Post by Jason_W »

Present company excluded, of course, but I've had my fill of self righteous lefties from southern New England.

It's ski season here, which puts most locals in a perpetual bad mood :lol:
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You drive, I'll buy the gas brother! :P
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

C. Cash wrote:You drive, I'll buy the gas brother! :P
Are you sure? Gas is crazy expensive and my driving will make your hair grey or fall out alltogether.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I LEFT UP THERE WHEN I WAS 18...AND MOVED TO FLORIDA...
30 YEARS AGO...AND OVER THE YEARS A LOT OF LIBERALS FOLLOWED ME! grrrrr....

MOST OF THE GUYS IN MY GUN CLUB ARE YANKEES.....
AND CONSERVATIVE.....THANK GOD.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I LEFT UP THERE WHEN I WAS 18...AND MOVED TO FLORIDA...
30 YEARS AGO...AND OVER THE YEARS A LOT OF LIBERALS FOLLOWED ME! grrrrr....

MOST OF THE GUYS IN MY GUN CLUB ARE YANKEES.....
AND CONSERVATIVE.....THANK GOD.
I don't care too much for heat and humidity. I want to find some place cold, but doesn't have any ski resorts. That should reduce the population of ---holes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have a better idea--I pay the gas, food, lodging, and will provide the vehicles for anybody who wants to tag along. I'll even bring some good classic rock to listen to. This part of Pa. is getting more invaded everyday.---North central Pa. looks mighty good to me. ----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Stay out of Wyoming!! :( It's colder than the devil here, summer is only 60 days long, the natives are all a bunch of ignorant beerswilling rednecks, there are no cultural opportunities (cello recitals, poetry readings, etc) it's 150 miles to the mall, they are all a bunch of FoxNews-watching republicans and almost everyone packs heat in their vehicles or on their person. Children are expected to learn in school, adults are expected to work and parents are expected to be parents. :shock: Especially stay away if you intend to turn Wyoming into the place you just left!! :evil:

All of the above respectfully submitted without intention of offending anyone, of course. :D
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

jnyork wrote:Stay out of Wyoming!! :( It's colder than the devil here, summer is only 60 days long, the natives are all a bunch of ignorant beerswilling rednecks, there are no cultural opportunities (cello recitals, poetry readings, etc) it's 150 miles to the mall, they are all a bunch of FoxNews-watching republicans and almost everyone packs heat in their vehicles or on their person. Children are expected to learn in school, adults are expected to work and parents are expected to be parents. :shock: Especially stay away if you intend to turn Wyoming into the place you just left!! :evil:

All of the above respectfully submitted without intention of offending anyone, of course. :D
I think I'd miss the trees if I lived in Wyoming.

I wouldn't mind doing the Alaskan interior thing, but I'm not even going to try talking the woman into it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For those wanting a better place to live, I hear they are colonizing Mars next week. I'm thinking we should all go there and put up gates to keep the lefties and commies out.

On the serious side of things, anywhere there is a big city you wanna stay away from. That's where the undesirables coagulate.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Wyomings got trees Jason. Its a big state Wyoming is. Whats it dont have is alot of people.

I'd go in a heartbeat if it was just up to me.
No worries tho for current Wyomingers, I'v no intention of turning anyplace into what I just left, if I ever leave. :lol:
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Jason:
Please elaborate as to what happened recently that got you upset. Did someone going to Killington or Okemo start making anti-American comments? Did someone headed to Burlington make comments on how quaint the native Vermonters are?

I am not sure where people with traditional values can go anymore. It seems that these yuppie dink pukes follow us everywhere and then try to make a small paradise into a hell hole like they came from.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I would love to live in Wyoming for some of the years I have left. Lord willing it may work out someday. I'd like to live there for about seventy-five years, than maybe spend another fifty or so in the good parts of Colorado, and I'd like to spend another sixty or so in Idaho. After that I'd head back to the homestead in Alaska, it should have frozen most everyone else out by then..

after that ..,

Grizz
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

What jnyork said about Wyoming goes for Texas, except it's Hotter than the devil here. We've got plenty of trees in East Texas, and no state income tax. Check out the Brady Campaign report card to find the gun friendliest states. I think I'd like New Mexico.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

bigbore442001 wrote:Jason:
Please elaborate as to what happened recently that got you upset. Did someone going to Killington or Okemo start making anti-American comments? Did someone headed to Burlington make comments on how quaint the native Vermonters are?

I am not sure where people with traditional values can go anymore. It seems that these yuppie dink pukes follow us everywhere and then try to make a small paradise into a hell hole like they came from.
Oh, nothing specific (and it's not a rant against all you down country people).

My fiance works in the service industry around here and the wealthy ski vacationers tend to treat her and the other girls at the store like dirt. She's come home almost in tears on a few occasions. It's one among many things.

Overall it's a gradual shift in the collective consciousness of the area. More and more news papers are getting nasty editorials from people who are offended when they publish photos of people's dead deer. They also buy summer homes next to established shooting ranges and then try every dirty trick in the book to close the range down. So far, the old timers have held off the newbies, but that won't last forever. They are written, of course, by the people who moved here from elsewhere. If only the right people would move here instead. My parents moved from Rhode Island at the end of 70's because they wanted to hunt, fish, keep a garden and all those other things that go with the rural lifestyle. The people who are moving here now seem to want to change the lifestyle to match what they think is right.

I don't want to come off as mister conservative, here. Compared to a lot of people on this forum, I'm very liberal. So I know that when things get too liberal for even me to stand, it's out of control. Like most rural New Englanders, I'll leave you alone if you grant me the same courtesy. People seem less inclined to grant me that.

Maybe this house deal falling through really was a blessing

Rant off. For now
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Hey, at least you have decent gun laws ! Try living in NY.
:cry: Ron
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Jason, dont know much about your employment likes or age. But since you mentioned "fiancee" I guess your probley young. I am retired and have lived in a lot of areas. Most people need to work. I live in cedar city, utah. I would hate to be looking for a good job here though for several reasons. Not being mormon would be the 1st reason.
But for a place to live with your tastes that sound similar to mine, this is very good! Good gun laws, easy to get a permit and a lot of blm land, wilderness and pretty country and compareatively cheap houseing. In fact in some travel and retirement magazines its been top or near it for several years. I live at 6000 feet at the edge of higher mountains that top out at 11,000 ft. We do get winter and snow. However, 50 miles away you are in hot country like zion national park.
Lots of deer, some elk and even goats and antelope. Pretty country with bryce, zion and cedar breaks nat parks all in a hour or so away.
Cowboy, indians, sheephearders and poligamists for local color. Mesquite nevada about 90 miles away. I was raised in wisconsin, worked in the south, west virginna, northern mighigan, oregon, wyoming and mostly california and this aint bad. Most of us have to go where we can make a liveing and retire to better parts. Good luck!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

zack coyote wrote:What jnyork said about Wyoming goes for Texas, except it's Hotter than the devil here. We've got plenty of trees in East Texas, and no state income tax. Check out the Brady Campaign report card to find the gun friendliest states. I think I'd like New Mexico.
I grew up in Texas, and just moved to New Mexico a year ago. It's ok. The hunting is great, but the seasons suck. You have to draw out for everything, and you only get 5 days to hunt most things. Norhern New Mexico is beautiful, but full of liberal hippies. Southern New Mexico is all desert, but it's where you'll find most of your conservative gun people. Let me just put it this way, I'm trying to get back to Texas as fast as I can.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

North Carolina is the same way as far as the influx of excessive popullation. I used to live in the country and the city came 25+ miles to me. Population is going to doulble in the next 20 years. Hang on.
spurgon
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Zack Coyote,
It's New Mexico for me, the south central part of the state , my place is at 7.200 ft
Plenty of hunting ,good country , few people
Good stuff ,Maynard
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I'm a native Texan, but I don't recommend it. Toooooo many crazies from other places have made it undesirable. Unless you go to deep West Texas. The hunting should be excellent if you can afford it, and very few people. 4-5 hours to nearest doctor. i spent some time in 1980 in western Nebraska--that might be ok but it gets cold enough to freeze your car battery.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I like the winters to be cold. Just like my heart :lol:

If I moved some place warm, I would really miss ice fishing.

As I noted earlier, some place cold, but with no ski areas should have a relatively low population density.

I've been wanting to look into Northern Minnesota and North Dakota, but I don't have the means for a trip long enough to really take the area in.

Work could be a problem, but telecommuting is a possibility with my current job. I really, really hate the nature of the job, but if I can do it from home, it might become worth it.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I'm a native Texan, but I don't recommend it. Toooooo many crazies from other places have made it undesirable.
I've lived all my 52 years in Texas but have visited on business from coast to coast. I have to agree; too many non Texans living here now especially in the large cities. I live about 20 miles from Houston and it used to be OK out in the country (and that 20 miles used to be 25 to 30 miles) but, unfortunately; it's like someone left the lid off the sewer because the city roaches are spreading out here now also (I'm not talking about all city people; you good guys know that). I've got several issues with that. First, they move out to the small towns to get away from the city but immediately try to do everything possible to get the small towns to grow into big cities. Get a clue, that's why we live in small towns; we don't want it to be a big city. Secondly, they find out that their commute is now longer so they drive like total DH's to try to make up time; cutting off people, passing in turn lanes and on the shoulder (even though you are already going the speed limit or faster), running lights and stop signs, passing when there is oncoming traffic thereby forcing others off the road etc. etc. The third major issue; the only way most city people know about guns is from movies or what they see on the "news" whereas most country raised were brought up around guns; hell, I think I had my first BB gun when I was 5 or so. I could go on but I think I made my point.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Ever thought about Alaska? Kind of expensive is my understanding, but I don't know how big an issue that may be for you. Work-wise and all.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

open country

Post by brucew44guns »

It took 45 years of hard work, but I finally got myself situated out in the sticks. Sparsely populated, no towns in any direction for 20 miles, and can pee off the front porch, or shoot a rifle, don't matter, with no worries of some city butt head calling me on it. I know guys have to go where jobs are, but get your family out of the mess of cities if you can.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Re: open country

Post by Jason_W »

brucew44guns wrote: but get your family out of the mess of cities if you can.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm no doomsday cultist, but I see the next few decades or so being real turbulent. I don't want to be anywhere near large population centers if the bad times.

I'm willing to sacrifice high wages for a more pastoral setting, but I still have to live. I think my telecommuting idea is worth exploring.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My girlfriend does the telecommute thing, it has worked out well.
I have to remind myself to go & start her Mustang, she never drives it!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

mescalero1 wrote:My girlfriend does the telecommute thing, it has worked out well.
I have to remind myself to go & start her Mustang, she never drives it!
I'd be willing to bet in the near future, telecommuting will take off. With energy costs skyrocketing, it's going to cost more to run an office. Why not let your employees pay for their own utilities?
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Jason, if you can telecommute, do it. Thats what I do. I am way in the boonies, I can shoot in any direction from my house. I have been to the "office" one time in almost 2 years. Most of the employees only know my name, they have never met me. I get up in the morning and start the coffee then go to work in my pajamas. Sometime around 11 or noon I will get dressed. The other benefit to having a home office is my desk sits right next to my gun cabinet :D I can fondle my guns any time of day. Right now there are 2 pistols sitting on my desk. Try that at the office :shock:
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?