OT grumpy mood and the 30/30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT grumpy mood and the 30/30

Post by brno602 »

Was in a sporting goods store the other day and over herd the clerk
telling a guy the 30/30 was no good for hunting out here?
By out here I Mean out west, ya we have open spaces but when the clerk said I need to knock down my deer as I hunt the Mountains and my shot is only 50yrds in the brush a deer willl run too far if hit by a small gun?
Okay I lost it had to say something, Small gun! my .250 savage will drop a deer just as fast as my .300wby.
Now about that 30/30 will you let me take one shot at you with that Marlin at 250yrds?
That put him in his place plus I was about to comment on the fat boy's at least, 250lbs watching too many video games girth., Ya I was grumpy!

Okay my rant is over Ya I own guns that can kill a charging Rino but do I really need them?
Okay I want my .375 with me if I ever face a charging Grizz? what are the odds?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT grumpy mood and the 30/30

Post by Blaine »

What the hell is wrong with 250? :P Bite me, Stick Man :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I once had a guy tell me that a 30-30 would bounce off a deer and not kill it.
It sure was great watching his reaction after my Hunting Partner showed him the deer he killed with his
30-30 Marlin 336 with open sights at 100 yds with handloads. He just stood there with that look on his face.
After that he has never had anything bad to say about the old dirty thirty. Got to love it. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

brno602,
I understand where you are coming from. Some arm chair wannabees have no experience other than what they get from reading magazines or watching Youtube videos. Sometimes you just gotta put 'em in their place.

Blaine,
Not a thing is wrong with 250. Right now I'd give my eye teeth (if I still had them) to be there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Blaine, I don't think They were talkin CCs . U were talkin bout the Bike? lol
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pwl44m wrote:@ Blaine, I don't think They were talkin CCs . U were talkin bout the Bike? lol
:lol: Ok, I had that one coming :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

brno602 wrote:Okay I want my .375 with me if I ever face a charging Grizz? what are the odds?
Well, of all the folks here on the forum, I think Grizz is one of the nicest, so I really doubt he'd ever try to harm you... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A good one from the good Doc.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I once talked to a young man who was showing me his Rossi 357 MAGNUM lever action. He switched to the MAGNUM after having a .30-30 bullet bouce off a hog that he shot from less than 20 yards away. He told me he unloaded the Winchester .30-30 onto the side of the hog and they didnt break skin.
His 357 MAGNUM levergun just flattened them.
People get lost in the stories they make up for themselves. Usually just makes me smile and nod.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

dr walker wrote:I once talked to a young man who was showing me his Rossi 357 MAGNUM lever action. He switched to the MAGNUM after having a .30-30 bullet bouce off a hog that he shot from less than 20 yards away. He told me he unloaded the Winchester .30-30 onto the side of the hog and they didnt break skin.
People get lost in the stories they make up for themselves. Usually just makes me smile and nod.
I sold a buddy a 20ga DeerSlayer....he demanded his money back because he claimed the 20ga slugs bounced off the deer's ribs..... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

People are ingnernt. This is of no consequence until they try and spread it like a bad cold.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sarge wrote:People are ingnernt. This is of no consequence until they try and spread it like a bad cold.
Which usually happens when they start breeding. :roll:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ignorance is curable... stupidity is terminal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yes. a 7mm STW is the minimum caliber for antelopes and coyotes. For deer? You really should consider a .300 Lazzeroni Warbird or Remington Ultra Mag. Sometimes they are more than 50 yards away, y'know? :lol: :lol: :lol: (incidentally, i do love the performance of my .300 Weatherby bolt rifle--- but its not my first choice for whitetail)
----- Doug
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Was it Wholesale or Bass Pro? I wonder has anyone offered this young jedii the chance to test his theories? I had the same experiance trying to buy a pair of boots last fall at Canadian Campers, the war story I got from my store clerk, assured me these boots where so great I would levitate over the Rockies. I was fortunate to escape with just his business card.

He had killed almost every big game animal in Canada, well he had been with a friend who killed a sheep, actually he went hunting with a friend who jumped off a cliff, to his death, to escape his stories!!! HaHaha! I'm kidding!

On a serious note; Brno you need to take your fellow levergunner's in Calgary for a coffee!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:For deer? You really should consider a .300 Lazzeroni Warbird or Remington Ultra Mag. Sometimes they are more than 50 yards away, y'know? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had the pleasure of sharing a hunting camp with just such a guy several years back. I had to endure 2 days of listening to this guy regale me with his hunting prowess and how much of a "unethical" hunter I was due to my choice of a .30-30 Winchester.

At the conclusion of the weekend opener:
Winchester mdl 94 rifle in .30-30 - spoke 3 times, 3 dead deer;
Warbird - shot twice and no dead deer.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. I believe it was a long trip home for him... And the last season he hunted with us.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have taken a few deer with a 30-30 and a few with a .270. I didn't know that I was doing something that couldn't be done. Woe is me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Back in the 80s I bought a Win mod 88 in 243. The next morning I headed out Deer Hunting. I found a nice young forked horn buck and dropped Him with one shot. Couldn't find a Game Warden to validate the tag so ended up dropping by the Sherrifs Dept to have it validated. The Deputy asked what Gun was used, when I told Him, He said "why R U using a Pop Gun" Go figger.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have a 300RUM and a 30-30. Cant say the deer I killed with the 300 were any deader than the ones I have killed with a 30-30. But then I wont shoot one over 200yds away.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It's just as crazy over here, 22 mag is no longer reguarded as a fox round :roll:

I'm just waiting untill a 20mm cannon is reguarded as the best deer round :lol:

Stupid fools :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Was clanging the 12" gong at 200 yards with my 38 special and 45 auto ( contender carbine barrels) and a guys walks up and ask what i'm shooting, so i tell him, and he looks at me quizzically and asks will they even go that far? Its really too bad stupid isnt painful at times!!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I agree with the guys who ask these ballistics wizards, "if the 30-30 (or fill in your favorite cartridge) is so bad, how about you stand out at 200 yards and let me shoot a few rounds at you?
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Yeah, the .30-30 with 170 gr bullets at 2200+ FPS coming out of a old and backwards levergun is too weak to kill a chipmunk. But with a 7.62 X39mm AK with a 123gr bullet doing 2,300 fps is perfect grizzly medicine. So I've been told. :shock: :lol:

You offer to make them stand at 200 yards and hit them, imagine the surprise and pain on their face when they get hit at 1000 yards by a careless hunter that didn't think the .30-30 could hurt anyone at that distance!!! Not aimed ofcourse, but potentialy deadly results just the same.

Rifleman 336
Last edited by Rifleman336 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never bite off more than you can chew.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

J Miller wrote:brno602,
I understand where you are coming from. Some arm chair wannabees have no experience other than what they get from reading magazines or watching Youtube videos. Sometimes you just gotta put 'em in their place.
Joe
I'm not an experienced hunter (grew up in the ghetto of So. Los Angeles and knew no hunting types for the first 55 years.), and I read a lot, but, I know when to keep my mouth shut! :lol: Yep, the "gun store gurus" are everywhere (I did get into fishing and know a bit about that, and the whoppers and advice by these "experts" really screwed up some newbies). Since I've moved to Oregon, I think I'll try to get some venison next season (that is if my .44 Puma with 265 grain Ranchdog lead over mid loads of WC820 is enough!) if I can find a local to hunt with, but I doubt if I'll trust one of the "counter hunters" at the local gun store...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

BlaineG wrote:What the hell is wrong with 250? :P Bite me, Stick Man :lol:
Nothing wrong with you,you are the same build as my brother just a big guy. But this guy was funny and huffed and puffed walking in the store,I doubt he could put a leg over that bike.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

mikld, if that load doesn't kill a deer at 200 yards when you put the bullet into the vitals, then I'll go find you an 88 mm mortar to get the job done. Yes, deer are individuals like humans and some just do not fall dead right there no matter what you hit them with, but a good hit in the boilerroom from a good .44 will get the job done.
I used to know a fellow who used a 7mm Rem Mag here in Texas for our little deer. I once asked him if he ate the deer he shot, and he said that the hams and part of the backstrap were all he ever got as the rest was too damaged to eat. I asked where he shot and he said that he put the first round somewhere in the chest if he could and just kept shooting until the deer went down. I never would accept his invitations to go hunting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

I have to blame a lot of the gun rags for the misinformation. Those writers need to get paid, so they have to sing the praises of the latest .338 Superdooperplanetsmashermag in order for the manufacturers to sell more guns. Its even better when they take their critter at 1000+ yards! Every once in a while I read an article that involves a traditional lever-gun and the authors act surprised when they have good results! :o
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Rifleman336 wrote:Yeah, the .30-30 with 170 gr bullets at 2200+ FPS coming out of a old and backwards levergun is too weak to kill a chipmunk. But with a 7.62 X39mm AK with a 123gr bullet doing 2,300 fps is perfect grizzly medicine. So I've been told. :shock: :lol:

You offer to make them stand at 200 yards and hit them, imagine the surprise and pain on their face when they get hit at 1000 yards by a careless hunter that didn't think the .30-30 could hurt anyone at that distance!!! Not aimed ofcourse, but potentialy deadly results just the same.

Rifleman 336

Makes me think of the scene on LONESOME DOVE where Gus puts his horse down and ends up taking out the guy doing his chicken dance!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

horsesoldier03 wrote:
Rifleman336 wrote:Yeah, the .30-30 with 170 gr bullets at 2200+ FPS coming out of a old and backwards levergun is too weak to kill a chipmunk. But with a 7.62 X39mm AK with a 123gr bullet doing 2,300 fps is perfect grizzly medicine. So I've been told. :shock: :lol:

Rifleman 336

Makes me think of the scene on LONESOME DOVE where Gus puts his horse down and ends up taking out the guy doing his chicken dance!
That was a great scene, the look on the "chicken dancer's" face was pretty near perfect.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BlaineG wrote:
dr walker wrote:I once talked to a young man who was showing me his Rossi 357 MAGNUM lever action. He switched to the MAGNUM after having a .30-30 bullet bouce off a hog that he shot from less than 20 yards away. He told me he unloaded the Winchester .30-30 onto the side of the hog and they didnt break skin.
I sold a buddy a 20ga DeerSlayer....he demanded his money back because he claimed the 20ga slugs bounced off the deer's ribs..... :roll:
The 20 ga. is ranked as about the perfect shotgun ga. for slugs. :roll: