OT - 'Neakin' in & out of CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

OT - 'Neakin' in & out of CA

Post by Griff »

Sad to say, but I missed not bein' able to visit any of our CA Levergun brothers. Had to be in Camp Roberts this am & gotta be in Lost Wages by 5am tomorrow! Man, if any of you Army types ever served there, either you better hurry back to visit, or don't. Sadly dilapidated is an understatement! :( While the majority of the WWII era barracks are still standing, a few have collapsed, and all are posted "unsafe". I figure that if you knocked down any cobwebs in 'em, the rest would collapse as well. Ever since the "cease fire" in Korea ('53?), it's been closed, turned over to the State, taken back & reopened several times. I don't know where in that cycle it is now, & don't care really.

But, man what a contrast to other facilities. :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT - 'Neakin' in & out of CA

Post by Blaine »

Is that an adjunct to NTC?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

BlaineG wrote:Is that an adjunct to NTC?
I don't know if it is....however, NTC brings back MANY memories :D ( 6 rotations in 3 years, 2 of which were for 45 days !)

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

I was stationed at Ft. Ord, between Monterey and Salinas, 79-82. Camp roberts was down the Highway 101, and was mostly used by the Guard and Reserve. Most of their training was at Ft. Hunter-Ligget, which was further South. We sent tanks and SP Artillery by rail to the NTC for firing exercises. The 105mm towed artillery the 7th ID had could be fired with limitations at Ft. Ord.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As in "Naval Training Center"? No, remember I'se former Navy, we have our own abbreviations! :P It's about 100 miles S of Ft Ord.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
As in "Naval Training Center"? No, remember I'se former Navy, we have our own abbreviations! :P It's about 100 miles S of Ft Ord.
As in National Training Center. Desert Warfare training area. About an hour or so out of Barstow...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Camp Roberts is still being used intermittently. I know my dad spent time up there on reserve drills up through the 80s.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

markinalpine wrote:
I was stationed at Ft. Ord, between Monterey and Salinas, 79-82. Camp roberts was down the Highway 101, and was mostly used by the Guard and Reserve. Most of their training was at Ft. Hunter-Ligget, which was further South. We sent tanks and SP Artillery by rail to the NTC for firing exercises. The 105mm towed artillery the 7th ID had could be fired with limitations at Ft. Ord.
Fort Ord, then Fort Hunter-Liggett THEN Camp Roberts yet further south. I was stationed at the Presidio de Monterey, Fort Ord, and then Fort Hunter-Liggett and had to ship vehicles through Camp Roberts (they had a railhead I believe), in the 1973-1977 period. You could go through lots of weather changes in one day traveling from one to the other!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Actually, Camp Roberts(or "Bob" as we call it) is still very much in use by the Cal. Army Nat'l Guard. I have trained there probably over a hundred times in my twenty five year plus career in the Cal. Army Nat'l Guard. While I can't go into detail because of national security reasons, it is a very active CalGuard base. The sad state of repair is very bad in some buildings, but in others it is not so bad by Army standards. Of course I would never stay in the barracks on my own accord, but it is better than sleeping in the rain and snow during the winter.

And no, it is not anywhere near the NTC(Ft. Irwin), which I have also been to dozens of times. It is a couple hundred miles north of the NTC near Paso Robles. The upside is there is some pretty good piggy hunting on the base and I understand that they have opened a draw for Tule Elk hunting there.

An interesting sidenote to this: The whole area that comprises Camp Roberts and Ft. Hunter-Ligget used to belong to the newspaper magnet/recluse Randolf Hearst. He used the Hunter-Ligget land as his private hunting preserve and imported Tule Elk to the land. The Officer's club on Ligget is his old hunting lodge. It is where I broke in my first Stetson. He gave the land to the Army with the proviso that they could never sell the land.

Lots of good memories of "Bob" and "Ligget"

John Wheeler
First Sergeant
HHT, 1-18th Cavalry