New Win92's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

New Win92's?

Post by chadbr »

Hello All,

I haven't had much time to shoot or hang around here lately. I see Winchester is making 94's again - and was surprised to see they're making 92's also.

Anyone have any experience with the new ones? Are they actually on the market now? The prices seem a little steep... but given the prices of commodities and if the quality is good, I can see how they would want to price them to stay in business.

If there's another thread on these already - point me to it - I couldn't find one with search.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Chad
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Win92's?

Post by DPris »

The 92 has been made in Japan by Miroku under Winchester branding for several years. Quality is high.
The 94s are also made in the same plant.

Both now have rebounding hammers, sliding tang safeties, and angle ejection.
Denis
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Chad they haven't hit the dealers shelves yet.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Denis,

I don't believe the 92's have angle ejection unless the newest crop has. I own two of recent production, and neither is angle eject. The 94's, however, definitely do.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Red,
Oops, you're right, of course.
Mind was wandering. :)

The 94s have the angle eject, the 92s do not.
Denis
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Miroku Win mod 92 in .44 mag, 20' round barrel, rifle butt, (short rifle?) Mine is from about 2005 or 2006. It has the tang safety and the rebounding hammer. I have never had a misfire or a failure to feed. I reload jacketed and cast ( RNFP and SWC design ). The rifle is beautiful in fit and finish. If you want one and price doesn't bother you I say buy it.
Karl
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had one of the 92 deluxe TD's about a year ago. Mine may not have been made as an AE, but it shot the brass 30 feet away from me down the line. Fit & finish was excellent, but I hated hunting for brass.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Looking at the picture and reading the descriptions on the 92 and 86 there is no mention or indication of either model being ae'ld. The 86 is coming drilled and tapped for reciever sights.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

92 & 86 are NOT angle eject, my error. My mind was elsewhere. :)
94 IS angle eject.
Denis
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Well - looking forward to hearing a hands on review from anyone here... Maybe I'll have to do it :)

Chad
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I'd like to get my hands on this little jewel! :D

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534167
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

That's a beauty, Grizzly!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

I sure hope they send some of those 86's downunder I need a 45/70. Just as a fun gun, and to drop the odd big boar.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

I'm kind of confused by FN/Winchester's marketing techniques. I remember not too awfully long ago that a USRAC 94 went for right around $200 at the local K-mart. I have to wonder why they decided to make "every-man's rifle" into a collectors grade model with a $1300 MSRP. Meanwhile Mossberg is moving a ton of $350 model 464s...
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That's my thinking too Scharms. I wouldn't even mind spending that much for a brand new 94 IF it could be had in the calibers and configurations of my choosing and IF it didn't come with AE, tang safety/rebounding hammer. Being US made would make it even more desirable..... In other words: a real pre 64 styled 1894. Winchester touts their Model 70 as being "pre 64" styled and uses that point to sell them. Too bad they didn't use that rationale with their levers too!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If they made a true 94 pre-safety, angle eject, non rebunding hammer, saddle ring carbine in a variety of modern and old calibers; 356, 338 marlin 450 marlin, 25-35-38-55, i could almost swallow an asking price close to a grand. Otherwise , i don't see it as a big seller.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I'd like to get my hands on this little jewel! :D

Griz, that is a nice Trapper/short rifle.

New Model 70's have a three position safety and so they're lawyerized. Now, don't get me wrong, I think a hammer safety notch works more than adequately as a safety, but people who get complacent or don't use it cause AD's and therein lies the rub. IE...cross bolt safeties and tang safeties. :cry:
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kimwcook wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:I'd like to get my hands on this little jewel! :D

Griz, that is a nice Trapper/short rifle.

New Model 70's have a three position safety and so they're lawyerized. Now, don't get me wrong, I think a hammer safety notch works more than adequately as a safety, but people who get complacent or don't use it cause AD's and therein lies the rub. IE...cross bolt safeties and tang safeties. :cry:
kimwcook,

The problem is, those who don't use the safeties on a bolt gun, won't use them on a lever gun either. Especially since the rebounding hammer won't fire unless you have your finger pulling back on the trigger. It's gotta hammer block hooked directly to the trigger.

The rebounding hammer is bad enough, but workable. The safeties are redundant to the extreme. Ugly too.

Somebody used this as a sig line: "Life is too short to live with an ugly gun." Or something like that. Don't remember who used it but it's my opinion of that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

AE 92s or 86s would sell like dog turds at a church social....
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

tman wrote:If they made a true 94 pre-safety, angle eject, non rebunding hammer, saddle ring carbine in a variety of modern and old calibers; 356, 338 marlin 450 marlin, 25-35-38-55, i could almost swallow an asking price close to a grand. Otherwise , i don't see it as a big seller.
Ment to say NON angle eject. I hate angle eject :evil:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Shhhhhhhhhhh, Buck! Don't give 'em any ideas! If they haven't screwed it up by now, they'll keep at it til they do! :o
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Turnbull's got them, retrofitted with traditional hammers and innards. I got the 92 takedown deluxe in 44-40. They stripped it and colored the wood in the original winchester stain too. Cost was only $500 more than best net pricing that I found.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 10-1-1.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... -40015.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... -40013.jpg
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Nice work. I'm thinking there has to be a market for a drop in replacement for the hammers... shouldn't be too hard to manufacture (says the software guy...)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a guy lined up to make the hammer struts for mdl 94s to convert the rebounding hammer to a non-rebounding... the only part needed, replacing the hammer isn't needed. Went by with sample to order 50, and shop had closed... oh well, it ain't a hard part to make, but... beyond my means. The mdl 94 & 92 rebounders use the same strut... so, ergo the 94 strut from an above 4,580,000 mdl 94 should work in a rebounding '92.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!