OT: Test Fired the H&R Trapdoor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

OT: Test Fired the H&R Trapdoor

Post by Bruce Scott »

I can hardly call it a range report as I only fired five rounds in a hasty visit to the range on my way home after finally getting my hands on some ammo - Win 300 Gr JHP.

With the tang sight fully down I'm hitting 12" high at 25 metres. I fired sitting unsupported and put all shots into 2". I found the recoil hefty but manageable, particularly after adjusting to a more oblique to the target position that put the butt against upper arm flesh rather than boney shoulder.

When I got home I checked the cases and found that all five primers had backed out slightly. I haven't yet measured how far but its enough to catch a thumbnail drawn across the case head. I'm wondering how disturbed I should be about this and likely causes.
Hobie

Re: OT: Test Fired the H&R Trapdoor

Post by Hobie »

Load those with 405 gr. cast at about 1200 fps or a little less (carbine, right?) and I think you'll shoot a lot closer to the sights.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The primers backing out slightly are low pressure signs. The case walls are sticking to the chamber walls enough (as they are supposed to) that the small amount of clearance (headspace) is allowing the primers to back out slightly. On the good side, it means there isnt much thrust against the breech block.

I'd agree, some 400 gr loads at about 1200-1300 fps may shoot closer to the sights. Come to think of it, didnt this gun have a non-factory tang sight? It may require a different tang sight, or a taller front sight to get it sighted in.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

I've got one of these but in an officers model. Ditto on what has been said, do not try to hot rod this action. There are a lot of great trapdoor loadings in most manuals. With the facory tang sight on mine I am able to keep 405g cast bullets in groups of 2" or so at 100 yards. Good luck.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks for your replies. Mine is also the Officers Model, about an 8 lb rifle with 26" barrel.

My main concern was the primer issue which seems not to be an issue anyway. I already have a 405g mold and dies on their way. My plan was to replicate as near as possible the original military load.

I have also ordered a 1879 pattern rear sight and a new tang sight for longer shots. Unfortunately I have to sort this mess out before I mount the new tang sight:

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats on getting her out! :D
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I had an Officer's Model also. One of the few rifles I regret ever selling. Mine did the same thing with the fast 300 grain pills. You need to slow it down and bit, and or go with the 405 as wisely suggested above. Fantastic rifle, fairly light weight, and mine shot great out to 200 yards. Good luck with yours, Tom.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks, Tom. I bought the 300 grainers as they were the only thing available and I had this NEED to shoot her. My dies are on the way and I'm about to start casting some 405 grain bullets. I willl be going slow and will try both black and smokeless.