Wire pull case lube

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Wire pull case lube

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I picked up a quart ($5.98) of Ideal Clear Glide wire pull lubricant, #31-388, at Lowes to use as a case lube when resizing. I realize it has been discussed here but I couldn't find anything using search so I thought I would start a new topic as I had a couple of questions. I was thinking about pouring a little in a small open container and using a swab like a Q-Tip to apply it to the neck of the case then I remembered the stamp pad method and wonder if any of you have applied it this way. Has anyone dilluted it? It seems pretty thick and looks like it could be thinned by adding some warm water and that might reduce the possibility of getting lube dents as well as making it easier to clean off. My plan is to size and expand then clean the cases in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner with a little Dawn dish detergent.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wire pull case lube

Post by pwl44m »

My goodness, a quart should last a lifetime for that unless U get into a production mode. Curious to hear how The Harbor Freight cleaner works.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Well I wouldn't want to run out in the middle of the night. I bought one of the small HF ultrasonic transducers years ago and it worked fine but was too small to put carburetor parts in so I bought their large one a couple of months ago on sale. It has a heater will hold more brass than I'll likely ever clean in one lot. The small cleaner will do 30 or more rifle cases. They do a great job of cleaning the primer pockets and I tumble the cases first.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

As I've only used that lube for it's intended purposes I can't speak to how well it will work for brass. I would think it would work well, it's a fairly high pressure lubricant.

The lube will dry out if left exposed to the air. It will also wash off completley with just water because the lube itself is just water that has been altered at the molecular level. So Dawn will do it just fine. You can also thin it with a litte water.

Cat
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"water that has been altered at the molecular level" Wow, is that like heavy water? :lol:
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Why not just buy some spray-on case lube? I spread out about a hundred cases on an old 5 gallon bucket lid, spritz them and then just start loading. What's so tough about that? You can catch Midway's on sale for about 3 bucks and it will do several thousand.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

:D I was talking to someone the other day about this.... I've been using the same 2-oz tin of Imperial Size die lube for over ten years now.
Slow is just slow.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I just use Hornady's Unique case lube for heavy forming, it's nothing more exotic than leather dressing, can be used on boots. When I want to lube quicky I use Hornady's One Shot spray. I used to make my own for jacketed bullet swaging by mixing anhydrous lanolin and mineral oil 1:1, I was ideal for case sizing, but too big a hassle to mix (but it made my hands soft).

Tried the ultrasonic case cleaners, but found them too slow, with no practical advantage to dry polishing in a vibratory tumbler. Removing the little bit of carbon in case interiors has no effect on accuracy, but drying the cases before loading is a pain that isn't productive. I can buy two Lyman Turbo Twin tumblers for what one ultrasonic cleaner costs. The water and cleaner bath may be good for back powder cases though.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is good to know about alternatives just in case... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My old shop teacher taught me to use STP oil treatment on a new ink pad.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I used that stuff by the gallon when lubing underground HV cable as it entered the duct in pulling operations. It comes in 5 gallon plastic buckets and it takes 10 gallons when installing long runs of 3 1000MCM aluminum cables in a 6" duct. I never once considered it for case lube, though. Maybe I'll go to the yard and grab a bucket of it and see how it works. I know that it sure cleans your hands very well. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

When I lube cases I put them in a plastic pail and set it somewhere they will get a little warm, about body temperature. I then dribble a small amount of lube inside the pail and stir them with my hand like I was washing dried beans. It leaves a thin film with no bubbles or lint and it covers the neck, shoulder and body without getting any inside. I can do several hundred rifle cases at a time, even more pistol cases.

If you don't finish loading them all in one session cover the pail so dust doesn't settle on them before you get around to finishing.