Rossi's NEW .22 Model 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Rossi's NEW .22 Model 92

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi's NEW .22 Model 92

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Hmmm, side loading gate. Interesting. Can't really see it in the photos though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hurry, be the first on your block to own one of these beauties. Post detailed range report and product analysis for the rest of us!! :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If that loading gate is stiff, could be bad ju-ju on the bullets.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The muzzle end of the magazine tube looks like other 22s, opens to load/unload?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Any idea of street price?
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Wonder what the price will be?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It is a side loading tubular magazine. The loading slot is on the side of the mag tube not on the bottom.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Could be a great rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Uh-Oh, I feel it coming on: I'll bet they're going to sell me one of these.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

My only hope is that it's not dumbed down and poorly finished or made with plastic parts like so many other .22s.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Let's not fool ourselves and get our hopes too high. Remember how unsuccessful the Taurus reproductions of the Winchester 62/63 and Colt Lightning were? You can't give those away now.

It's tube fed.
It has the "Taurus" Safety.
It may say "Rossi" & look like a Winchester 92, but it's a Taurus.

I hope I am wrong, for those of you that buy one.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I see the "convenient side loading", but if you read the whole sentence, I think you'll see it reads, "The newest "El Jefe" .22lr Round Barrel is both light and fast-handling with a convenient side loading gate, closed tubular magazine and handsome Brazilian hardwood stock."

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words:
I'd have to hold one in my hands, but... that knurled knob on the end of the magazine tube tells me it's a conventional .22 tube fed, yet loads thru the side of the magazine, not the bottom... so the gun can be laid on it's side, instead of the it's sights and loaded. Might just have to own of these.

Look forward to hearin' what Nate sez! 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:My only hope is that it's not dumbed down and poorly finished or made with plastic parts like so many other .22s.

Oly
Oly, you can see in the pics the safety widget on the bolt, and it's got the Taurus key lock in the hammer. So, dumbed down it is.
jdad wrote:Let's not fool ourselves and get our hopes too high. Remember how unsuccessful the Taurus reproductions of the Winchester 62/63 and Colt Lightning were? You can't give those away now.

It's tube fed.
It has the "Taurus" Safety.
It may say "Rossi" & look like a Winchester 92, but it's a Taurus.
Yep, what jdad said.
Griff wrote:I see the "convenient side loading", but if you read the whole sentence, I think you'll see it reads, "The newest "El Jefe" .22lr Round Barrel is both light and fast-handling with a convenient side loading gate, closed tubular magazine and handsome Brazilian hardwood stock."

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words:
I'd have to hold one in my hands, but... that knurled knob on the end of the magazine tube tells me it's a conventional .22 tube fed, yet loads thru the side of the magazine, not the bottom... so the gun can be laid on it's side, instead of the it's sights and loaded. Might just have to own of these.

Look forward to hearin' what Nate sez! 8)I hope I am wrong, for those of you that buy one.
Griff,
This might just be picking nits, but I've never ever laid any tube fed .22 on it's sights when loading it. Matter of fact I've never laid one down at all. I hold it upright at an angle with the muzzle pointing away from me as I load the dinky little rounds in the tube slot.
Laying one down while loading it would be as awkward as anything I can think of. You need gravity to help the rounds slide down to the bottom of the tube.

I want to see one too, however I suspect I'll see one of them about like I did the other Taurus .22s. Only in pictures. Nothing ever seems to show up here in central IL.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Me either, Joe, but... I've certainly seen it done! Whether the feed slot is on the bottom or side, I just don't see a loading gate like you'd see on a bigger caliber levergun (HRA's excepted).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:Me either, Joe, but... I've certainly seen it done! Whether the feed slot is on the bottom or side, I just don't see a loading gate like you'd see on a bigger caliber levergun (HRA's excepted).
Griff,
No, I don't see a loading gate on the side of the receiver either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like it does have that offensive receiver-mounted safety they seem to love. Other than that, it looks like a winner!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

When you replace the StupidSafety with one of Steve's peep sights, I would think you'd have a pretty nice little rig. That's my thought right now, anyway. Want to see one before I buy, but they have me interested! :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:My only hope is that it's not dumbed down and poorly finished or made with plastic parts like so many other .22s.
THAT'S for sure...!

I don't care about the tube-loading, or even the 'safety' gizmo, but I really hate it when they use cheap-looking plastic parts.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Griff wrote:I see the "convenient side loading", but if you read the whole sentence, I think you'll see it reads, "The newest "El Jefe" .22lr Round Barrel is both light and fast-handling with a convenient side loading gate, closed tubular magazine and handsome Brazilian hardwood stock."
When I read "side loading" and "closed tubular magazine" I think that precludes a cutout. I don't see a cutout on the tube in front of the forearm. If it has a cutout, I can't see how it's a closed tube. Perhaps the photos are from a prototype using a removable inner tube magazine from another style of gun?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.