Barnes 300 Gr .458 SOCOM in the Marlin 1895 SS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Barnes 300 Gr .458 SOCOM in the Marlin 1895 SS

Post by Old Savage »

A friend asked me to test his load of 46.0 Gr of IMR 4198 and a 300 gr TSX FB bullet in my Marlin 1895 SS. Turned out to be a good load for my rifle and also his Ruger #3. You will see on the target that I have numbered the shots and put the velocity next to them. The ones on the left are the first three and went into 7/8". The fourth went just where I saw it as I fired. Good consistent load. When he loaded the first of them it pushed the blue tip into the bullet almost level with the rest of the copper tip if this should make and difference to function in Marlins. One such bullet was #1. The others were seated with a custom seating plug that left the tip intact. Seems to make no difference to the velocity of POI. These shot much higher than the previous loads I had sighted for that were inconsistent and can be seen below - both were sighted at the bottom of the bull.

A pleasant surprise was a carefully fired group from a 10-22 at 100 yds. I had no idea this rifle could shoot this well. Did this with iron sights. The rest are the first 5 I fired to sight in and was not as careful with but I did look at each of the first five after each shot. On the small group I just sat and fired 5 being as careful as I could and not moving my position between shots. Great surprise with this rifle. :)

Last edited by Old Savage on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Barnes 300 Gr TSX FB in the Marlin 1895 SS

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Wow! Looks like a winner. I have a question......is that the blue tipped muzzle-loader bullet? As far as I know they measure @ .451"

Just wondering.......

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Barnes 300 Gr 458 SOCOM in the Marlin 1895 SS

Post by Old Savage »

It is the blue tipped one and I think they are listed at 458. I also loaded the FN for some of my own loads and they were also accurate but I had them to 1750 fps these loads go 2005 to 2053. Tom has a Ruger #3 and a Browning 1885 and is a load designed to be starting for them but you see how it works in the Marlin and it is good out to easily 200 yds.
And, the fact that he squashed the tips in makes it at least a two shooter I am thinking in that it should be of a length to function through the magazine. I will have to measure some of them.

And you see how this group tightens up vs the one below with an erratic load. Same rifle, same guy shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Barnes 300 Gr TSX FB in the Marlin 1895 SS

Post by Old Savage »

Seems I have made an error in naming the bullet used - I believe it is the 300 gr .458 SOCOM made by Barnes.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Barnes 300 Gr .458 SOCOM in the Marlin 1895 SS

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote:A pleasant surprise was a carefully fired group from a 10-22 at 100 yds. I had no idea this rifle could shoot this well.
The Ruger 10/22's can be tack-drivers. Of course tricked-out ones with new bolt, barrel, trigger group, stock, and receiver (but keeping the factory extractor retaining-pin :lol: ) are, but some of the regular off-the-shelf ones can be, too. People use cheaper ammo intended for high-volume plinking, never clean them, and of course then they don't do well, but with just a little work and care and feeding, the 10/22 is sort of the 'AR-15' of the rimfire world, and just as versatile/ugly/accurate/tacky/practical/fun...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

thats some pretty good shooting. It always amazes me what the li'l 22 can do at 100 yards. The 45/70 is pretty good too with the new condor condoms.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looking at the two 45-70 groups I notice that if you take the botton with the RL7 load and its 150 fps velocity variance and "squash" it to the same 3/8" vertical variance as the top group it shows how Tend to shoot over a few shots at those recoil levels. since they have about the same lateral variance and the position of the low and high shots are very close. Something for me to learn there but frankly I am not sure what. :?:

The 10-22 rds I suppose demonstrate the level of care I tend to put into shots of just shooting and being purposely careful with my vision with iron sights. I never have that degree of dispersion of results with scopes which seem to compel more care by highlighting small differences.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BTW bought 2 25 round mags at Fleet Farm for the 10/22, and besides being totally reliable; I put 25 rounds into 3 inches at 50 yards in 4 seconds. Guess the Israeli's knew something huh?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!