OT -- Fastest Gunslinger!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

OT -- Fastest Gunslinger!!

Post by alnitak »

This is unbelievable!!

http://www.wimp.com/fastestgunman/
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT -- Fastest Gunslinger!!

Post by SJPrice »

I truly enjoy watching Bob Munden shoot. Never cared for his commentary about himself though.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One of my favorite clips! :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Yeah,...I thought the speed of light comment was over the top. Still, when you hold the world record in all 18 events and have for years, you've got some braggin' rights.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The wife and I went to one of his demonstrations years ago and I can tell you from personal experience his abilities with a Colt SAA are unbelieveable. The one I was most impressed with was his shooting two separate ballons with two blanks from the draw and you hear one report. You wouldn't think it possible, but I've seen it and heard it.
Old Law Dawg
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The two most famous (recently) guys from Butte, Bob Munden and Evel Knevel, two showman of the highest degree. Must be something in the water. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

even when they slow it down and from the side, I still dont see how he does the two shots. amazing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

That is truly impressive. I wish I could see a show of that live. Anyone doing it today?

Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

A lot of fast 'showmanship talk' going on there, but when it comes time to ante up ..... he does it. Black powder blanks on balloons are pretty forgiving, but even then, the fellow is just plain lightning-fast. I've heard that real fast fanning is a bit hard on ones SAA, especially if there are five cartridges in the cylinder putting a lot of impact into the cylinder stops. I wonder how often an overhaul would be needed.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Kirk, don't know how often but Bob is a gunsmith of the first degree in his own right. People send him their guns to be slicked up and I hear he gets a good buck for it. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

SJPrice wrote:I truly enjoy watching Bob Munden shoot. Never cared for his commentary about himself though.
I agree. I'm surprised the size of his head doesn't interfere with his draw.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

been watch ole bob munden for years on the outdoor channel in shooting usa

you can see more clips of him on the outdoorchannel.com
and myoutdoortv.com

he may talk big but he backs it up to....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I have always felt it is much more enjoyable to let others sing your praises when you do good than to tell people how good you are. Just me I guess.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

It ain't braggin' if you can do it. :lol:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Bob seems to have mellowed out his stage talk as he has grown older, judging by more recent videos. Here is a video that I particularly appreciate, where they test his speed and accuracy using accelerometers and high speed footage. As you can see in the footage from the police range, he is not only faster than a rattlesnake, but deadly accurate with his point shooting. Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCl_mYIUBE It appears to me that Bob could draw, fire, and put a bullet into a fellow's spine before the fellow even realized that Bob had drawn.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

SJPrice wrote:I truly enjoy watching Bob Munden shoot. Never cared for his commentary about himself though.
+1

If I wore a gold chain around my neck like his, I'd look like a girl, too.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

KirkD wrote:Bob seems to have mellowed out his stage talk as he has grown older, judging by more recent videos. Here is a video that I particularly appreciate, where they test his speed and accuracy using accelerometers and high speed footage. As you can see in the footage from the police range, he is not only faster than a rattlesnake, but deadly accurate with his point shooting. Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thCl_mYIUBE It appears to me that Bob could draw, fire, and put a bullet into a fellow's spine before the fellow even realized that Bob had drawn.
Amazing!

As you said, he seems to have mellowed with age, though surprisingly, he hasn't slowed down at all! I believe the first video had him at 0.2 seconds for draw and shoot. Did I hear correctly that the accelerometer clocked him at 0.1 seconds?!? He actually looked slower to me in the second video, but I guess looks are deceiving. I was also very impressed with the point shooting. In the first video, with blanks, one could make the case that he didn't have to be as accurate. But in the second at the range...pretty darn good shooting!

Wonder how many times he shot the holster as he perfected his craft? I noticed that the hammer was cocked and his finger was on the trigger before the gun left the leather.
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

fordwannabe wrote:The two most famous (recently) guys from Butte, Bob Munden and Evel Knevel, two showman of the highest degree. Must be something in the water. Tom
There's something in Butte water for sure, but I'm not sure it's anything good.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOW!!! Talk about a time machine. That was the match at which I met "Bad Bob" for the very first time. That was the year that his wife, "Montana Belle" won the Top Lady title at EOT. I also had Bob do my first action job. He took my 3rd Gen .45 Colt and overnite put in one of his trimmed mainsprings and wire trigger/bolt springs... also did a little trigger work. Almost 25 years later it still sits at the same 1-½lb pull! The man's an artist... and has an ego to match. But... if you don't let that get in your way, a really good guy. 'Cause it certainly doesn't get in the way for him! Regardless of how fast he was/is... he was never really a threat to win in cowboy action shooting... which for him was a pleasure, and a very different change than fast draw. Fun guy to sit and talk guns with. But, Becky was more fun! And a true champion in her own right.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I didn't say it was a good thing, just a thing! People from Butte seem to have an attitude because it's the only city in Montana that most of the world has ever heard of( well that's my opinion of why any way, Butte central was our version of a "crosstown rival" when I was in HS they were only 45- 50 miles away so they were the next closest HS ).
When I first got to PA I had a college algebra proffessor talk about his trip to Montana and tell me about his time in Helena(he mispronounced it Helanea), I said to him it's Helena(Helen-Ah) He argued with me over and over what could I know I had never been out west Blah , Blah ,Blah.
I told him" Well when I LIVED THERE we pronounced it Helena but what do I know?"
He called me a dumb so and so and said I hadn't lived out there ect,ect. I pulled out the miniturized diploma from Powell County High School Deer Lodge Montana,the local bank had supplied in our diploma folder and showed him. Dagnabbit I hated taking that class over the next semester.Tom
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Did I hear correctly that the accelerometer clocked him at 0.1 seconds?!? He actually looked slower to me in the second video,
I believe I heard the guy with the instruments say it was about .06 sec; .10 was just his first glance at the trace. Judging by the videos, I'd say he's slowed a bit. His earlier claim was .02 sec, and he did indeed look to be faster then. Remarkable, regardless.