OT: Redfield lets me down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Redfield lets me down

Post by olyinaz »

So I'm at the range today setting up sights on various evil black rifles and I'm pleased that I'm shooting 1" groups at 50 yards with a zero power EOTech on my AR-15. Not bad for a half-blind old fanny burp (or so it seems to me - I'm easy). Then I mount a new Redfield 2x7 on my AR-10 and commence to shooting 2" groups at 50 yards trying to zero the thing. Huh?? And the zero is shifting all over like a used car lot salesman on the wrong side of town! "OK," I think to myself, "I suck, but I don't suck THAT bad..."

Short of it is I then notice that one of the adjustment knobs has a bit of play and, you guessed it, I got a bad one out of the box - it's going back to Sportsman's Warehouse tomorrow. I hope that they have another because the size/power/looks of this little bugger is exactly right for an AR carbine and I don't want to have to resort to "plan B". This, however, is the second low cost Leupold scope I've purchased in as many years that would not hold a zero. The other was the Leupold 3x9 that they sell at Wally-World (not sure of the model designation). Took that one back and spent a bit more for a Bushnell Elite (absolutely wonderful scope) but I do NOT want to do that with this Redfield because it so perfectly suits my AR. It's very frustrating and I've lost pretty much all respect for lower cost Leupold products. I know that the next one will likely be good and I know that many people are buying these new value priced Redfields and having good luck with them but I didn't, it's the second strike for Leupold with me, and I thought I'd tell you guys about it. Spend your hard earned $$ wisely!!

Regards,
Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Bad Redfield

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear that I hope the replacement works out for you.

Sorry to be off topic but what is your AR10 chambered in?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JReed wrote:Sorry to hear that I hope the replacement works out for you.

Sorry to be off topic but what is your AR10 chambered in?
No worries - it's a middie carbine in 7.62 NATO.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

All ways thought it would be fun to have one in .243 but 7.62X51 would work. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'm definitely going to get a .243 upper for it. Make a fantastic coyote gun.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:All ways thought it would be fun to have one in .243 but 7.62X51 would work. :)
How about .338 Federal (DPMS makes them).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:
JReed wrote:All ways thought it would be fun to have one in .243 but 7.62X51 would work. :)
How about .338 Federal (DPMS makes them).
For elk and moose it would be hard to argue with that choice but I don't hunt anything large so it wouldn't be my bag.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Redfield lets me down

Post by J Miller »

What does "DPMS" stand for?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:What does "DPMS" stand for?

Joe
http://www.dpmsinc.com/
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

J Miller wrote:What does "DPMS" stand for?

Joe
It used to stand for Defense Procurement Management Service. Which doesn't make a lot of sense until you read this and see that they used to help other subs handle defense bids and how to get setup, etc.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Hey Oly,

Your post reminded me to take my .35Rem 336 out again with the same Redfield you posted about above. I was having a hard time getting a consistant group out of this proven lever the day after I put this scope on, but thought I'd give it another day when the wind was down and I was at the range alone. Today I got that chance and sure enough, the gun wouldn't group at all. I played with the adjustment knobs and while the elevation knob clicked correctly, the windage knob was just "Mushy". Since I sent in the warranty card when I got the scope, I'll pull it off and send it to Redfield for repair or replacement. I'll let them know about your problems too in case they haven't received any word on this issue yet.

Hopefully you'll have a satisfactory outcome. If I remember, I'll post the outcome of my experience and re-testing.

All the best,

Stump

PS: Thanks for posting your experience and reminding me to get the 336 back out to check the scope again!!!
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr. recently bought a Remington 700 bull barrel in .223 that he put a new Redfield on right out of the box. It has given him no end of troubles. I was joking with him the other day when he sent me pictures of the target from the range with his camera phone. I asked him if he had taken his shotgun with him as well. I told him when he got home that we would take the 4X12 off my Ruger #1 and let him try that on the .223 and see how it stacks up. At first we were thinking that it might be issues with the rifle it's self because this rifle has a Houge stock that contacts the barrel like a rubber inner tube laying against it and we thought that might be the problem. Now more than ever we need to try a different scope.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Stump Buster wrote:Hey Oly,

Your post reminded me to take my .35Rem 336 out again with the same Redfield you posted about above. I was having a hard time getting a consistant group out of this proven lever the day after I put this scope on, but thought I'd give it another day when the wind was down and I was at the range alone. Today I got that chance and sure enough, the gun wouldn't group at all. I played with the adjustment knobs and while the elevation knob clicked correctly, the windage knob was just "Mushy". Since I sent in the warranty card when I got the scope, I'll pull it off and send it to Redfield for repair or replacement. I'll let them know about your problems too in case they haven't received any word on this issue yet.

Hopefully you'll have a satisfactory outcome. If I remember, I'll post the outcome of my experience and re-testing.

All the best,

Stump

PS: Thanks for posting your experience and reminding me to get the 336 back out to check the scope again!!!

Thank YOU for speaking up as well. The windage knob was screwy on mine as well. The one I got at the store to replace it seems much better (nice and snappy like the elevation knob).

We shall see...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright