Watch out in Maricopa, CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Watch out in Maricopa, CA

Post by El Chivo »

I went camping this weekend and passed through Maricopa, CA which is right at the junction of the 33 and 166. You have to go through it to get to the Cuyama valley or the southern end of the Carrizo plain, and it's on the easiest way to Taft.

I was driving at about 4 am to arrive before dawn and was pulled over by a policeman who was waiting on the side of the road. I wasn't speeding, but he really wanted to check me out.

He decided to run my plate, and u-turned to follow me. Once he started following me he had a reason to pull me over, a burnt-out license plate light. So he ran my license and registration. But regardless, he made the decision to follow me before he knew about my light.

On the way home, I saw a Maricopa policeman waiting with a radar gun at the bottom of the descent from the Carrizo. He pulled someone over, it looked like he had the radar gun on him for a while.

I stopped at the convenience store there and outside was a big sign put up by a citizen's group, which said "Stop the Maricopa PD's Unfair Radar Tactics" and gave information about how to report and complain.

Maricopa is really just an intersection, but it is a 35 mph zone with a 45 mph zone and then 55 mph outside of it. Very easy to forget about these zones. Plus, the descent from the Carrizo is very steep and very long and it's hard not to have a big head of steam going when you get to Maricopa. And people love to floor it on those country highways.

I lucked out, but others haven't, so if you're heading that way, heads up.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Watch out in Maricopa, CA

Post by Mike D. »

The Kern County SO handled Maricopa until a the City PD was restarted 4 years ago. How many cops does that pi**ant little place have? Are they POST trained or off the street hires? Sounds like something out of rural Kentucky.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the exact same situation exists when driving either North or South through North-Central Florida off the interstate(s).

I disremember the Rte number, but it used to be the main rout N/S from North to Miami before Rte 95 & Rte 75 got built.

There's 4 or 5 very small "towns" - little more than a gas station ( and a police car, of course) - where the speed limit drops about 35mph in 20ft - and the officer is just past the drop sign, waiting.................

One of the adjascent towns, however has a resident (or three) that post a very large warning sign on their front lawns, just ahead of some speed traps.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

got warned off by a car coming the other way flashing the headlights hi-lo hi-lo last summer when I was heading north on 395; I got slowed down just before a big speed trap operation.... so I returned the favor first chance I got.

bother! I do like 90+ mph.

I think that's a good way to help one another out, eh?
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re:

Post by SJPrice »

Grizz wrote:got warned off by a car coming the other way flashing the headlights hi-lo hi-lo last summer when I was heading north on 395; I got slowed down just before a big speed trap operation.... so I returned the favor first chance I got.

bother! I do like 90+ mph.

I think that's a good way to help one another out, eh?
Which will get you a ticket if they see you do it. Don's ask how I know this. It is a sore subject.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

El Chivo wrote: . . . Maricopa is really just an intersection, but it is a 35 mph zone with a 45 mph zone and then 55 mph outside of it. Very easy to forget about these zones . . .

They are called "Revenue Enhancement Zones."

If any of you find yourself going north in US 119 into Punxsutawney, PA, it's the same setup. 45 mph down a steep hill, then 35 at the bottom. The Punxy cops set up a little framework thing with photocells alongside the highway at the bottom of a traffic sign, and the speed is wirelessly
transmitted to the cop in the Crown Vic at the bottom of the hill. In PA, only the State Police may use radar and laser. Municipal PDs must use Vascar, Smooth Operator, or other such timing devices.

And yes, Punxy is the home of the famous groundhog.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

They're called 'Speed Traps' for a reason. Many small communities derive a sizable portion of their operating budget using them.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

El Chivo wrote:I went camping this weekend and passed through Maricopa, CA which is right at the junction of the 33 and 166. You have to go through it to get to the Cuyama valley or the southern end of the Carrizo plain, and it's on the easiest way to Taft.

I was driving at about 4 am to arrive before dawn and was pulled over by a policeman who was waiting on the side of the road. I wasn't speeding, but he really wanted to check me out.

He decided to run my plate, and u-turned to follow me. Once he started following me he had a reason to pull me over, a burnt-out license plate light. So he ran my license and registration. But regardless, he made the decision to follow me before he knew about my light.

On the way home, I saw a Maricopa policeman waiting with a radar gun at the bottom of the descent from the Carrizo. He pulled someone over, it looked like he had the radar gun on him for a while.

I stopped at the convenience store there and outside was a big sign put up by a citizen's group, which said "Stop the Maricopa PD's Unfair Radar Tactics" and gave information about how to report and complain.

Maricopa is really just an intersection, but it is a 35 mph zone with a 45 mph zone and then 55 mph outside of it. Very easy to forget about these zones. Plus, the descent from the Carrizo is very steep and very long and it's hard not to have a big head of steam going when you get to Maricopa. And people love to floor it on those country highways.

I lucked out, but others haven't, so if you're heading that way, heads up.
I've driven that route many times going to Santa Maria, but I've never seen any cops around Maricopa, but it's been over 4 years since I drove that road. Dad was wanting to drive out there this spring, we'll have to keep and eye out. I'm sure they'd love to harass an out of state vehicle. Thanks for the heads up.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Like TX, CA has a law designed to inhibit "speed traps". VEHICLE CODE SECTION 40800-40808.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:Like TX, CA has a law designed to inhibit "speed traps". VEHICLE CODE SECTION 40800-40808.
Interesting...so if one was caught in a speed trap that violated those provisions (I admit, I only scanned the first couple of paragraphs), could you "enlighten" the judge to the proper statute and get it thrown out?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Live Oak, CA was for many years a known "speed trap". Their little operation was shut down after too many citizen complaints and at least one officer reprimanded for heavy handed, over zealous use of his pinch book. He was writing folks tickets for 20 miles over the limit, when they were actually less than 5 miles over the posted 30 MPH on a state maintained hwy that passed through the tiny city. Maricopa could be a candidate for the next speed trap shutdown.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

awp101 wrote:
Griff wrote:Like TX, CA has a law designed to inhibit "speed traps". VEHICLE CODE SECTION 40800-40808.
Interesting...so if one was caught in a speed trap that violated those provisions (I admit, I only scanned the first couple of paragraphs), could you "enlighten" the judge to the proper statute and get it thrown out?
I would think that is your responsibility as a concerned citizen! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What's wrong with obeying the posted speed limit?
NRA Life Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Everyone should follow the posted limits, but when they go from 55 to 30 in less than 150' something is seriously wrong. No "30 MPH zone ahead" signs, no indication of sudden slowdown, zero, zip, nada. Immediately past the 30 sign will be an officer waiting with pen in hand, and a big sh*t eating grin on his mug. :x
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the exact same situation exists when driving either North or South through North-Central Florida off the interstate(s).

I disremember the Rte number, but it used to be the main rout N/S from North to Miami before Rte 95 & Rte 75 got built.

There's 4 or 5 very small "towns" - little more than a gas station ( and a police car, of course) - where the speed limit drops about 35mph in 20ft - and the officer is just past the drop sign, waiting.................

One of the adjascent towns, however has a resident (or three) that post a very large warning sign on their front lawns, just ahead of some speed traps.

I know whereof you speak. It is US Highway 301 a NE-SW road leading from I-10 near Jacksonville to Ocala on I-75. It is the Original Turnpike from back in the 40s or 50s, and leads through THREE towns that actually have billboards up advertizing their speed trap status, Waldo, Lawtey, and Stark (home of the FL prison, their death row, and "Old Sparky", and not a lot else). This old road is a four lane, divided highway but unlike a modern turnpike, passes straight through the towns at 35 or sp MPH, before resuming in steps to 45, 55, or 65. The speed trap is the only income they have and they are right proud of it.
Certified gun nut
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Interesting, I went thru Maricopa a few months back. I had go to Taft (actually the Elk Hills Petroleum Reserve). 119 back to the 5 was shutdown after I went thru, and they were sending you south thru Maricopa to rejoin the 5. I noticed that the "police department" was in a trailer, and wondered what their budget was. I guess they want a real jail. Headed to Taft Wednesday, gonna keep an eye open. Thanks for the heads up.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:They're called 'Speed Traps' for a reason. Many small communities derive a sizable portion of their operating budget using them.
Yep. This way they can generate lots of revenue, so they can go out and buy the Podunk S.W.A.T. team some 'patrol rifles', night-vision gear, Barrett-50's, and an armored vehicle or two. Of course they'll mostly be used to bust some doper growing a few pot plants, who some deputy has a grudge against, but catching real criminals is too scary and dangerous, and just costs the taxpayer money to provide them with court-appointed lawyers... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

This is becoming more common throughout california. County and local governments are starved for cash as we all know. CHP has been ordered to step up notices to appear and the same for county sherrif depts. Its all about revenue, theyre revenue cops nothing more.
g rice
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey! Somebody has to feed, clothe, house, and take care of the medical problems of all these Mexicans sneaking into our country. :wink: ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Sixgun wrote:Hey! Somebody has to feed, clothe, house, and take care of the medical problems of all these Mexicans sneaking into our country. :wink: ------------Sixgun

Yeah, guess we're elected.
g rice
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gary rice wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Hey! Somebody has to feed, clothe, house, and take care of the medical problems of all these Mexicans sneaking into our country. :wink: ------------Sixgun
Yeah, guess we're elected.
Surely you didn't think the Pelosi's were going to step up and volunteer, did ya? They've already given SO much to the State!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Byrnes Mill MO and Gerald MO too

Post by blueroan »

Speed traps are a way of life in semi rural areas. I've got two stories.

I picked up my new 06 Impala at noon Friday before going in for 4-to-12 PM shift. Missouri has owner pay the sales tax in order to get his license plates, but gives you 30 days to do so. It's 1 AM and drizzling as I drive past two speed trap operators talking at the gas station. One pulls up behind me at the stop light, waits until I'm going across 4 lane divided highway and then hits his lights and siren. After I stop at a safe spot, he gets out and heads for me, BUT does a double take when I turn on the dome light and he sees the temporary sticker on the rear windshield. "New car?" "Yeah, got it this morning...no, it's Saturday now; yesterday morning." "You going to get plates soon?" "Nope; I got 30 days...gives me an extra month on renewal and I don't have the $1500 for sales tax for another two or three weeks." He gets good and wet for being an a** h*** and everyone who goes through there regularly and hears the story is rolling on the floor laughing.

Two months ago, the little woman gets busted for 51 in a 45 zone in the next county west. Another noted speed trap. She tries to finess the cop...to no avail. He tells her she's lucky because "fines are higher over in Jefferson county. I'm a part time cop over there also." Guess where...and guess who! It's my pal, 'Buford T. Justice." The fine with court costs was $98.50.

Municipalities like the above are ridiculous...and any one calling himself a cop when he is a full time speed trap operator there is an insult to real law enforcement officers. I can't do much other than watch so I don't become one of their victims...and I don't patronize the merchants there either. I wish they had a chamber of commerce to write a letter to; somehow I see the mayor as putting my name and license plate numbers on a "hit list."
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The fine with court costs was $98.50
I looked up some info on the internet, the first number is the CA base fine and the second is what you actually pay after the county and city get through with you.

1-15 mph $35 ----------------------------- $146
16-25 mph $70----------------------------- $266
26 and over $100 -------------------------- $380

I have heard it was more, like $500----$900.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I really wish EVERYONE would obey the law, even if it was for only a week. Think about it--no fines-no revenue. All of the ones in this country who produce NOTHING (politicians & lawyers) would have their hands full. :wink:

I have a real smart brother-in-law who advocates that every working person in this country have enough money to tide him/her over for a month or two-------then stay home. We would see changes real fast. :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I had so much sick leave and vacation saved that I was able to "drop out" and be paid for nine months before official retirement. That was seven years ago and I have not looked back. :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I'll be a... I ended up going thru Maricopa yesterday. Thanks for the heads up, I slowed down to a nice 30mp as I entered town. And wouldn't you know it there was an officer is in the parking lot behind the city hall/police station (you can't see him coming from either direction until you are almost right in front of him), with the radar gun. I had the driver's side widow down, so I smiled and wave very enthusiastically. I swear I could see him frown in disappointment.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad