OT: Boot Quality

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Harmonica
Levergunner

OT: Boot Quality

Post by Harmonica »

Between the current line of Lucchese boots such as their 1883 line and boots made by Olathe, who makes the better boot?
http://www.lucchese.com/collections.php ... tion1=mens
http://www.shiplerboots.com/6720.html
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Never worn the other brand, not even sure I've even seen them in a store.
The Olathe's however are excellent wearing boots.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Not sure about the other brand but you could never go wrong buying Lucchese. I was just looking at them and will be making my mind up soon on which pair I want.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a pair of Lucchese boots that are as good or better than any I have worn.They are dress boots and take a real spit shine, very comfortable.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Two very different boots. Built for two very different purposes. The Luchesse are the Cadillac of dress boots. I have one pair, the epitome of comfort and good looks. I don't own a pair of Olathe's, but... have shopped them on several ocassions. They've usually been 2nd place to my favorites, Paul Bond. They are excellent boots, but... a bit on the heavy side, which translates into excellent wear characteristics.

Boots are a very personal purchase, I never buy a pair without a fitting.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either brand, but... it really just depends on what you're looking for. For ridin' and work, take the Olathes, for boot scootin' and impressin' the ladies, the Luchesse's! :P

Or, to put it another way, the Olathe's if you're looking to wear spurs, Wrangler and sit astride the steed; the Luchesse's if you're wearin' a tux or 3-piece suit!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Cowboy boots with a tux?!? :shock:

yikes.

:P
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Scott,

You mean you have never worn Boots in a Tux :?: :?
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Harmonica
Levergunner

Post by Harmonica »

Also, speaking of boots, anyone have opinions on Wesco boots? Are they worth the extra money?
http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/imag ... har_sm.gif
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Never heard of that fancy stuff. I wear American made Redwing loggers at work and American made Danners in the woods. Remember, both of these companies import junk boots with their name on it from China.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Sixgun wrote:Never heard of that fancy stuff. I wear American made Redwing loggers at work and American made Danners in the woods. Remember, both of these companies import junk boots with their name on it from China.---------Sixgun
:?: If you're including Olathe in that , you'ld best revamp just a bit. Mercedes Texas is a hell of a long ways from China. :roll:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

For Years all I wore was Tony Lama, always liked them. Then I bought 2 pair of Ariats, however, they are cheap boots in my opinion, the leather started cracking on the foot on both pairs and one cracked on that new fendangled Sole of the boot. I swore them off to never buy them again. I recently purchased a pair of Twisted X and love them. Total comfort and only paid $150, the soles are double stitched on the edges.

http://www.twistedxboots.com/Class/HORSEMAN.HTM

Mine are the rounded toe version, I aint one to wear no hippie boots.
1x2
Levergunner

Post by 1x2 »

I was married in a pair of western boots- forget the brand...

I wear Olathe now; slightly disappointed that they moved their operations out of Kansas. IMO they're good boots, but can't compare them to Lucchese; my brother wears the Lucchese's, but he buys the dress boots from his local Shepler's store. IMO the Lucchese's are too dressy for MY style.

If I was needing a new pair and had the money, I'd have them made and fitted for me by a guy in Montana, but he wants ~ 6 bills for a pair. For that money, Olathe's are fine.

Oh, I also have an awesome pair of Hondos.

1x2
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting post, I have worn Cowboy boots for over 44 years and it's hard to get decent boots in the UK. Everyone over here seems to cater for Line Dancers (spit) so the boots are rubbish and no good for riding! :wink:

I don't ever wear a Tux but if I did my boots would definately be worn with it! 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Sixgun is right on at least one count; Danner does indeed import their GTX line from China, though last time I checked, they still made their premium boots with stitch-down soles here in the USA. I hope they don't move all their production to China, as they will lose me as a customer, and leave me looking for something else, as I have worn Danners for more than two decades. I am difficult to fit. For dress-up, I like Lucchese, the only Western boot brand I have tried that works with my skinny feet.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Don McDowell wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Never heard of that fancy stuff. I wear American made Redwing loggers at work and American made Danners in the woods. Remember, both of these companies import junk boots with their name on it from China.---------Sixgun
:?: If you're including Olathe in that , you'ld best revamp just a bit. Mercedes Texas is a hell of a long ways from China. :roll:
I meant Redwings and Danners---They both make boots here and over China
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well now Griff, I will have to say when I bought my Lucchese boot there were some that did look pretty fancy. My pair are plain brown round toe and have a very close cut around my foot,like a good glove. I don't dance but they do look good with my starched and ironed Levi's on Sunday morning with a jacket and my Colt .45 in a Mernicle high ride holster. My pastor approves also. (Should be a couple of smiley faces here.)
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I second the Lucchese boots. Very comfortable and excellent quality. I'me pretty happy with a pair of Tony Lama boots I just got too.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I'm just tired of the "Made in China" tag that keeps showing up. New pair of Ariat's last fall, $150, open the box and tag says "China". I should have sent them back as they are half shot now. Just ordered a pair of Double H, claim to be "USA", but we'll see. I got P.O.ed at Redwing when they slipped me a pair from "off shore". I've had Justin's shed their sole after 3 months, guess what the tag said? I can't go for the mega buck dress boots, or a custom made. I need something that will stand up to horse p*** , concrete floors, dirt, and stirups, and still look halfway decent with my "dress" Wranglers. Sorry to vent here, but boots have been a sore subject with me lately. Sad day when we can't find an affordable, quality cowboy boot made in the US any more. I do hope the Double H work out.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

The boots I wear at work are German.
Thorogood snipers.

These are waterproof, zippered up the side for easy-on out of the bunk and in the dark, and bloodborne pathogen resistant.

Not bad for "spills", lol.
Like when a Pt. shoots puke out of the endotracheal tube and over the side of the stretcher.

These are also slip-resistant and insulated.
Very light and comfortable.

Here:
http://www.copshoes.com/p-T834-6760.html