LeverGun range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

LeverGun range report

Post by MikeS. »

Finally had a decent weather day on MY weekend. So I went to the range after a short stop at my local fun store for some male bonding and a box of .44 special. Also needed a bit of help getting some Houge grips to fit my M29.

I decided today after shooting it again I don't really like .44 magnum out of a handgun. Even with the Houge grips. I just might put this M29 up for sale. The 1st two pictures will be from the new to me Marlin 1894SS. I DO like .44 magnum from a lever gun :) All shots were from 50 yards.

The 2nd 2 pics are from my Rossi '92 .357 magnum. It has some feeding issues, I'll probably wind up talking to Nate about it.

I also shot .38 and .44 special out of each to see how they functioned. The Marlin did great but the Rossi gave me some issues. It didn't always pick-up the next shell and it didn't like the SWC I was shooting. Now the SWC was barely semi, almost a full WC.

I also had a chance to shoot my Taurus .22lr revolver. This is the thing I bought and all it would do is jam. It went back to Taurus and they did some work on it. Including replacing the cylinder. It didn't jam today even after 100 rounds. Still don't like it though.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good on ya MS.
Why don't you like the 22 now it works ok?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Man you had a camera when shooting and only managed to get pictures of your targets. NICE GROUPS but we need gun pics here! :D
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Nath wrote:Good on ya MS.
Why don't you like the 22 now it works ok?
Trigger action is horrible. Double action is very stiff and I have to totally move my grip to manually cock it.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

horsesoldier03 wrote:Man you had a camera when shooting and only managed to get pictures of your targets. NICE GROUPS but we need gun pics here! :D
I have already posted pics on these 2 levers and the M29 but just to show ya what a nice guy I am, here ya go :D

Happy now?
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice shooting, nice guns. I like the 44 SPL. - my favorite. Not a great fan of the 44 Mag in a handgun either. Had a couple 29s and got rid of them. I do still keep a Ruger SBH.

Like that rifle you have.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Thanks OS.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good deal. What loads were ya usin'? Thanks for NOT takin' those photos of yer guns out in the daylight; not sure my sunglasses woulda been dark enough! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Griff, the .44 was Magtech 230grn? JSP The .357 was a HodgePodge of reloads a cousin had done for me 9+ years ago. Just some old ammo I want to use up.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Oh yeah, those SS guns are bright.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Jefferson county, WV.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

8) cool! 8)
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: LeverGun range report

Post by WyrTwister »

MikeS. wrote:Finally had a decent weather day on MY weekend. So I went to the range after a short stop at my local fun store for some male bonding and a box of .44 special. Also needed a bit of help getting some Houge grips to fit my M29.

I decided today after shooting it again I don't really like .44 magnum out of a handgun. Even with the Houge grips. I just might put this M29 up for sale. The 1st two pictures will be from the new to me Marlin 1894SS. I DO like .44 magnum from a lever gun :) All shots were from 50 yards.

The 2nd 2 pics are from my Rossi '92 .357 magnum. It has some feeding issues, I'll probably wind up talking to Nate about it.

I also shot .38 and .44 special out of each to see how they functioned. The Marlin did great but the Rossi gave me some issues. It didn't always pick-up the next shell and it didn't like the SWC I was shooting. Now the SWC was barely semi, almost a full WC.

I also had a chance to shoot my Taurus .22lr revolver. This is the thing I bought and all it would do is jam. It went back to Taurus and they did some work on it. Including replacing the cylinder. It didn't jam today even after 100 rounds. Still don't like it though.

I have a M29 in blue & 8-3/8" barrel . Also a M25 .45 LC that looks like its twin .

Finest two guns I have ever seen or shot .

The thing with the .44 Mag is to reload . You can do almost anything you want , from powder puff loads to full house loads that almost make your eyes bleed .

The longer barrel is definatly best for full power loads .

Try the steel rams at 200 meters . That is fun . :-)

But if you decide to sell it , please PM me . I might be interested ???

God bless
Wyr
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Dead bad guys any way you cut it.

Thanks for the report, Mike. Good shooting!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .