OT comercial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT comercial

Post by JReed »

For those that havent seen this one it is the new Marine comercial. Turn up you speakers.

http://our.marines.com/cms_content/show ... 169/id/870
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nice visuals, but I'd get more out it if they'd show real Fleet Marines doing real work.

Those drill team guys are like the Budweiser Clydesdales.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

FWiedner wrote:Nice visuals, but I'd get more out it if they'd show real Fleet Marines doing real work.

Those drill team guys are like the Budweiser Clydesdales.

:)

They also serve who drill on Broadway and West 46th St, Independence Square, the Grand Canyon, or Hoover Dam.

Every Marine represents the Corps; these Marines are the public face of the Corps, the best public relations unit the Corps has.

Semper Fi,

Noah
USMC, USMCR '72-'86
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

For lack of a better term, you could call them the ultimate cheerleaders :shock:

The FIRST thing every Marine learns is how to drill. Thats how we get where
we are going without falling all over each other :D

If you ever want to see chest puffing pride, then watch a fleet Marine watching
the silent drill team. They mean allot to us.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

FWiedner
I hear what you are saying but it is still a cool comercial. The people that join after watching it will find out what the fleet is like soon enough :wink: :D. But in the mean time why bore people with what we do every day. All of us know most of our day is spent doing the hurry up and wait game :wink: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote: All of us know most of our day is spent doing the hurry up and wait game :wink: .
Sounds like most of my civie days too! :roll:

That was one COOL commercial!!! 8) 8) 8)
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

FWiedner wrote:Those drill team guys are like the Budweiser Clydesdales. :)
I'm sure that you meant no offense but just to set the record straight.
I spent 3 years in Company A, 8th & I, Washington, DC. Although I wasn't on the SDT (tried out and didn't make it) my drill platoon was in the same company.
Drilling for a living is hard work. Hours and hours per day, every day, and it is gruelling. It takes a little bit of mental discipline when your training schedule is drill, PT, maintain your gear in PERFECT order, constant inspections, and then do it all over again. Barracks duty is not easy.
The two Marine drill companies in Washington perform three, seperate, and very vital functions for the Corps.
First, they are the public face of the Marine Corps. The Friday night parades at the Marine Barracks are famous. There are always politicians and celebs there, but there are also veterans and families of Marines. The Wednesday night parades at the Iwo memorial are beautiful as well. These help to build public goodwill and support for the Corps, which is a vital function.
Second, these Budweiser Clydesdales are the ones who perform the funerals for all the fallen heroes returning from combat who wish to be buried at Arlington, or in the general Washington area. They also do funeral details for veterans of other wars who have passed away and are being buried at Arlington. There are lots of them. We did them all of the time, and that was in peacetime (1979-1981). Not to mention all of the other ceremonies that go on in the area.
Third, these guys are MARINES. They are trained, equipped, and ready to react in case of a terrorist attack, threat to the White House, or any of the many other military installations in the area. That's why the 8th & I Barracks was built in the first place, and believe me, these guys still spend their time on the range and when parade season is over every year they get out in the field to keep their skills sharp.
Those drill team guys are real Marines. Just as much as any other Marine, and their job is just as important.

Dave
Last edited by dz86 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

In addition, these guys have to be PERFECT. Not just good, but PERFECT. I cannot imagine the strain (and corresponding pride) of the expectation of perfection.
I believe it was John Wooden (he of the 10 NCAA men's basketball titles) who said words to the effect, "Pursue perfection and you might achieve greatness."

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

Noah,

What MOS is 2111?

Semper Fi!

Dave
USMC 1978-1984
0311 first hitch
1811 second hitch
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

MOS 2111
Small Arms Repairer/Technician Pvt-GySgt (PMOS)

Had to go look it up. Hope that helps.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

JReed wrote:Hope that helps.
It do!

Thanks.

Dave
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I travelled with the SDT for a couple of weeks back in 1978, just because we happened to be going the same way.

After spending that time in close quarters observing their behavior, listening to them talk about other Marines, and seeing how they are encouraged by their superiors to look down on the Fleet Marine Force in general, I have to say that I was wholly unimpressed by these petty pseudo-elite pampered show-ponies.

They put on a great show, but are nothing but a bunch of pompous, self-impressed, swelled heads.

Just my opinion.

Clydesdales, but not as useful.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

semper fi, a marines a marine weather they are in the barracks or in the field doesnt matter we all went through the same stuff to be one weather parris island or san diego doesnt matter we are all marines
sgt grinche
parris island
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

FWiedner wrote:I travelled with the SDT for a couple of weeks back in 1978, just because we happened to be going the same way.

After spending that time in close quarters observing their behavior, listening to them talk about other Marines, and seeing how they are encouraged by their superiors to look down on the Fleet Marine Force in general, I have to say that I was wholly unimpressed by these petty pseudo-elite pampered show-ponies.

They put on a great show, but are nothing but a bunch of pompous, self-impressed, swelled heads.

Just my opinion.

Clydesdales, but not as useful.

:wink:

Sounds to me like they had some bad leadership back in 1978.
I am sure things are a tad bit different now. To serve at 8th an I is
an honor most Marines never get. To get there you have to be on
top of your game in every aspect. And when it really gets down to it.
Every Marine is a Rifleman. Semper Fi.

USMC 1990-1996
26th MEU SOC
Desert Storm Vet.