25-20 load testing. 1/2 gr makes a BIG difference

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

25-20 load testing. 1/2 gr makes a BIG difference

Post by jdad »

I bought an early (1895) Model 1892, chambered in 25-20 a few months ago and finally put some loads together. Sorry guys, but I HATE RELOADING.....I love to shoot, so I just do it when necessary and just before a silhouette match. This is probably why I shoot so much rimfire. :D I try to use 2400 for all my pistol calibers. I don't want to have a ton of different powders around and it meters real well. I don't cast because that's as painfully time consuming as reloading :D , so I bought some 85gr Meister hard cast bullets.

Anyways, I went through some late 1930's to early 1940's Lyman books and got a good idea of where to start. I put 3 loads (7 rounds each) together 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5 grains of 2400. It was a nice overcast 50 degree day and no rain. I set up 3 targets, at 50 yds, set sand bags up, and went to it. I shot 1 round each, as fouling shots, to "season" the clean bore.

These were all 6 shot groups. 10 minutes rest between each group. The tang sight was actually just about in the right spot, to keep the POI about 2" higher than the POA.

The 5.5g printed about 4".
The 6.0g printed about 2".
The 6.5g printed about 8"

2", at 50 yds, will be "minute of ram" good enough at 100m. I have a week to reload 50 rounds before it's first match. :roll:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 25-20 load testing. 1/2 gr makes a BIG difference

Post by kimwcook »

I don't mind reloading, if I have the time. Right now I don't have a garage nor a shop. So I drag my stuff out on the kitchen table which is a pain. Wind was using a '92 in 25-20 for levergun silhouette, but was finding even with a good hit it didn't always knock the silhouette over. I've got to get some loads developed for my 32-20 so I can use it the next time I shoot silhouettes up Tonasket way with Wind. It always amazes me the little nuances that make a big difference when reloading.
Old Law Dawg
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there jdad -- Actually your 25-20 will work great on pistol caliber targets. Kimwcook is kindly overlooking the fact that I told everyone to bring pistol caliber rifles to a rifle caliber match!! My 25-20 worked well but did ring most of the rams. My rifle is only 100 years old, but still going strong. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm not too worried about the rams falling, with an 85gr bullet. I knocked them down using 40 grain 22mag's without any problems, as long as I hit them near the butt.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

jdad wrote:as long as I hit them near the butt.
That's what one of my aunt's used to say when she was deer hunting. :D
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I use 12.5 grs 2400 in my .25-20s with 60 grain pills and 11 grs with 75s. I have never run any lead through my '92s or Model 25 Remington. I also have a supply of vintage Remington 60 gr OPEs to use up, and a half dozen boxes of Peters, Remington, and Winchester HV cartridges, all with the 60 gr hollow points. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yep, in those small cases it doesn't take much powder to make a big difference. That's like changing two or three grains in yer '06.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I too, have noticed big differences in small changes of powder with the 25-20. You ought to chronograph your 2400 loads as I have noticed that variations can vary as much as 150-175 fps depending on how you hold the rifle (powder forward or backward) when charges are below 7.5 grains.

Mike D.---those are smokin' loads 11 grains of 4227 with an 86 gr. Remington were giving me 1800+ and about 3 loadings per case--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good range report. Looks like you found out what she likes! :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The 2400 I have been using is now over 25 yrs old, but, like the Timex, is still ticking. I have yet to discard a case and some have been loaded 10 times. MV is a consistent 2100 FPS and apparently easy on brass, in fact it's the only powder I have used. What once was 8 lbs is now a small plastic container, maybe 4 oz. When it's used up I'll have to go to "plan B", whatever that is.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I just went out and checked my records and besides the 2400 I have loaded IMR 4198 on occasion. 13 grains gives less velocity, right around 1800+, but is a very accurate load, especially with the 75 gr Speer. ONLY cannelured bullets are used; you need a good crimp when filling tubular magazines.