I REALLY couldn't help it...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

I REALLY couldn't help it...

Post by Goat »

A friend of mine has developed some severe neck problems from a couple of automobile accidents many years ago. When he mentioned that he was planning to sell a Marlin 1895 with a straight stock I figured I should help him out. Recoil with full house loads is more than he should take anymore so what is a friend to do? I picked it up yesterday so it would "punish" him no more. It is a 1977 model in 95% condition. The metal is almost flawless and the wood just has some handling marks. I thought that I would never "need" another 45/70 but I just had to help my buddy out.
I put a Williams 5D reciever sight on it when I got it home and hope that I can use it well enough to "play" with it a while. I am afraid that the original front sight is too short but when I get to the range I will find out. Anyone tried this sighting combination before? I most likely will mostly shoot cast bullets in this one but do have a load from the former owner with the 300gr Nosler Partition that shoots very well. I know you want pics and I will try to get some taken when the rain quits.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I REALLY couldn't help it...

Post by kimwcook »

I don't know what else a good friend could do. You did what your conscience told you to do and I think it was the right course of action. :D Can't wait for the pics and range report.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations, and good for you for helping out a friend in need! :D
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kimwcook wrote:I don't know what else a good friend could do. You did what your conscience told you to do and I think it was the right course of action. :D Can't wait for the pics and range report.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Goat wrote:A friend of mine has developed some severe neck problems from a couple of automobile accidents many years ago. When he mentioned that he was planning to sell a Marlin 1895 with a straight stock I figured I should help him out. Recoil with full house loads is more than he should take anymore so what is a friend to do? I picked it up yesterday so it would "punish" him no more. It is a 1977 model in 95% condition. The metal is almost flawless and the wood just has some handling marks. I thought that I would never "need" another 45/70 but I just had to help my buddy out. Goat
Are you sure this shouldn't be in the best exaggerations thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember, no good deed goes unpunished! :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, most Marlins will zero a side-mount receiver peep sight, using the issue height front sight.

Whether or not a change of front sight type to a different one, like Ivory Bead/Gold Bead/Patridge/Fiber-Optic is another issue entirely, and YMMV.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have that sight setup on mine and it works fine... glad you helped out your friend...

Grizz