250 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

250 Savage

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

What can you all tell me about the 250 Savage? Thinking of getting one to play and possibly hunt with.

:D

Thanks in advance, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 250 Savage

Post by TedH »

Buy it, and then you can tell us about it. :wink:
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Deadly accrate and a real killer on deer and smaller game.

My Grandfather had this Model 70 that he used to take to WY every year for antelope. According to my Dad he would
take them 200-300 yds plus with ease. Shoots little bitty groups.
He was a big fan of the .25 calibers, he had the .257 Roberts mate to this one but it was stolen.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Had one years ago. Loved it. Killed a lot of deer with it and not many untracked after being hit. It was an old one (F model) that had the 1 in 14 twist and wouldn't stabilize the 100 grain bullet so I just bought 87 grainers which it would put into incredibly small groups. Maybe .50 inch. I could look up the loads since I still have records from back then. Mid 60s I guess. Oh yeah, it was a 99 Savage which I am hoping is what you have since we are talking lever guns here. Traded it away for an early 94 in 32 Special which still had 18 rounds left in the box of shells which came with it and some money to boot. It came back home after some years and I let my 3rd ex-wife use it for several years after that. Don't remember what I ever did with it. I'll have to look that up too.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

I love my 99 takedown. I have taken three deer with it. Two of the deer required a second shot with my handload containing a 100 grain Hornady interlock. I hit one small mule deer buck on the point of the shoulder but the bullet didn't enter the chest, it just stayed in the shoulder and made a mess. I had a similar problem with a blacktail although that bullet did enter the chest cavity. Another muley was hit behind the shoulder and the bullet performed very well destroying the heart and lodging just on the inside of the hide on the far side. My opinion is that the 100 grain interlock bullet is too light to reliably break bone, but performs well with the classic broadside lung/heart shot. I plan to try the partition someday, but the number of leverguns in my safe have me always finding a new favorite to hunt with.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I got one. It seems to shoot well. It has less recoil than the same gun in .308 Winchester (and it should). I like it.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Its the original high velocity, short mag cartridge :D
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

It's the first duel purpose cartridge too, Good for Verman and Deer,
Now don't hang me guy's I have a 99 but want to find a Ruger light 77 in .250 the ones with the black forend tip and short barrel :oops:
But I like the old stuff that at one time was the greatest like the 7x57, .375H&H and 300 Savage and you can count in the 30/06 and 270 too and we cant forget the 30/30.
It was way ahead of it's time for a Factory cal the .257 was around and is a bit better but the 6.5x55 is much better than a .257 on bigger game than Deer.
I have never taken anything bigger than a Deer with the .250, are Deer are big though. I like it I like the history behind it( Newton cal).
When I was a kid I read Shot's at Whitetales and I needed a 250 Savage after that book :lol:
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Its the original high velocity, short mag cartridge :D
That is true!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Hobie wrote:I got one. It seems to shoot well. It has less recoil than the same gun in .308 Winchester (and it should). I like it.

Very nice! 99 you have.
Okay I love the Cal and 99's.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I also have a 99 Savage in 250-3000. It is a takedown version and it shoots just as well as any other rifle in my safe and better than most as well.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I have a .250 in my Savage 99, and hunt Antelope with it.

Very accurate!!!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Aw yes the 250-3000 Savage.
Isn’t that the one that the .243 Winchester left in the dust?
Yeah I’m bad :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tom, The .250 I owned/shot/hunted, was a full-length stocked, tang safety Ruger Model 77 RSI boltgun.

After I used it for a fer years, some silly collector offered me $1K for it, so I swapped for the green & bought a couple of leverguns for my annual Maine deer hunt pilgrimages.

Every deer I shot with it pretty much dropped where shot, or stepped off only a few yards - much less than the sometimes 100+ yard traipse I get with a more powerful chambering like an -06.

I was looking for a .250 Savage 99 last Summer - but caved when I ran across a pristine 1953-DOM .300 Model 99-EG at D&L in Warwick. :mrgreen:

I'd advise you to get one (any one), and don't look back - as long as you don't expect it to be a magnum.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never see the 250 Savage or 257 Roberts over here :(

The 25-06 had a run in popularity a few years ago. I have allways said the 250 and the 257 would be perfect for Britain, been sayin' it for years.

Who was that famous American explorer that used the 250 Savage on his expeditions around the Gobi????

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I say we never see them over here but check out this baby!!

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100614142717034

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

casastahle wrote:Aw yes the 250-3000 Savage.
Isn’t that the one that the .243 Winchester left in the dust?
Yeah I’m bad :wink:
What's a .243? I have a .250 and 6mm never herd of the .243 :?
Ah just giving you a hard time lol
I have seen a few Deer shot with it (243) but the 6mm Rem is a Moose rifle.
All I remember in the mid 70's is my Brother took a Moose with his 6mm Wile hunting for Deer I was like 10 and helped butcher the Beast.
The .243 and 6 are way behind the history of the .250 are they better no deer can tell.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have had two - Remington 700 and Model 99 EG, both very accurate rifles with almost no recoil, easy to load for. If you get one I think you will love it. What rifle are you thinking of?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 99 is a traditional pre 1900 lever action that can use modern hunting loads. The only drawback i can see to the 250 is cost and availabilty as compared to the same gun chambered in .243WCF. If you look past that, the 250 is an excellent deer/antelope cartridge. Alot of elk have dropped to it also.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Old Savage wrote: What rifle are you thinking of?
Definitely a bolt gun (shudder) :lol:

I want to build it for my wife and I'm thinking the custom route. Ultra Light Arms or Rifles Inc. I want it to be under 6 lbs scoped. I've had her shoot a 99 in 250 Savage and she HATED the rifle, (which I lusted over). But remarked that there was little recoil, (which she liked immensely). I also figure on getting the little ones shooting it too.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I have two, a Remington Model 7 with the laminated Mannlicher stock from the custom shop that I bought used and a 1920s German guild double rifle. The Model 7 is a tack driver. The DR I've never been able to shoot well, but that is in large part because of the iron sights only, which I cannot see to shoot anymore. I'd like to get a scope mounted on the DR, but the cost of claw mounts (c.$1,000) has given me considerable pause. I can't see putting some sort of half-baked alternative on the rifle, given that it's survived without being bubbaed for so long.

Great cartridge. Kills deer like they've been struck by lightning. No recoil. Easy to carry gun.

I'd love to have one in a Model 99, but I found a Model 99R in .300 a few years ago that was priced right and bought that instead.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A friend had one built on a Model 7 action for his wife. She loves it and killed a caribou with it a couple of years ago. A perfect combo there in my opinion.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Old Savage wrote:A friend had one built on a Model 7 action for his wife. She loves it and killed a caribou with it a couple of years ago. A perfect combo there in my opinion.
That's right! The Remington Model 7......I forgot that it's smaller. The hunt is on! :D

Thanks, Tom

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A Remington in .250

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displ ... =8824514.0

A .250 Ruger M77RSI mannlicher-stock (6lbs, bareback)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/908529504/Gu ... LICHER.htm

Another .250 Ruger 77, a sporter

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 327479#PIC