Range Report/Wine tasting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Range Report/Wine tasting

Post by Old Savage »

Well, the purpose of the trip was to shoot the three 150 gr 308 E Tips a buddy had given me to see how they shoot through my late model Model 88. I found that they shot a bit high with the cross hairs at the bottom of the black bull but the accuracy is acceptable. I did not get the opportunity to chronograph them with them time I had. In comparison the Federal 150 gr with the TSX bullet tended to shoot low with the first shots as I noted in a previous report. In both cases the 1st shot was with a cleaned barrel.

My friend's early 88 will shoot the E Tips accurately but put the TSX all over the place. And of course the reason we are up to this is the requirement for leadless bullets in the condor zones. Seem you just have to try the various loads in your rifle as they are more variable from our experience than the normal type hunting bullets.

Then on the way home I decided to try to find the local winery that the gal at the golf course had told me about, Leona Valley Winery. There I was greeted by the lovely Raina who was just opening up. $10 for a tasting of seven of their wines. Under the influence of the tasting and the hospitality of the charming Raina I left with a $35 bottle of port which I thought was their most distinctive and that I was sure my wife would enjoy.

and of course the rolling countryside of Leona Valley, Ca.

I am interested in any reports of testing on any of the condor compliant bullets.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Range Report/Wine tasting

Post by brno602 »

Old Savage wrote:Well, the purpose of the trip was to shoot the three 150 gr 308 E Tips a buddy had given me to see how they shoot through my late model Model 88. I found that they shot a bit high with the cross hairs at the bottom of the black bull but the accuracy is acceptable. I did not get the opportunity to chronograph them with them time I had. In comparison the Federal 150 gr with the TSX bullet tended to shoot low with the first shots as I noted in a previous report. In both cases the 1st shot was with a cleaned barrel.

My friend's early 88 will shoot the E Tips accurately but put the TSX all over the place. And of course the reason we are up to this is the requirement for leadless bullets in the condor zones. Seem you just have to try the various loads in your rifle as they are more variable from our experience than the normal type hunting bullets.

Then on the way home I decided to try to find the local winery that the gal at the golf course had told me about, Leona Valley Winery. There I was greeted by the lovely Raina who was just opening up. $10 for a tasting of seven of their wines. Under the influence of the tasting and the hospitality of the charming Raina I left with a $35 bottle of porter which I thought was their most distinctive and that I was sure my wife would enjoy.

and of course the rolling countryside of Leona Valley, Ca.

I am interested in any reports of testing on any of the condor compliant bullets.
Who cares about the bullets :D What about the wine and the gal.
Okay the wife is not home :lol:so I feel dirty saying that but the wife only likes sweat wine and some Port she got me drinking it too.
I like my CR or Scotch no ice or water.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You'll be calling in there regular I guess from now on!

Don't know about lead free but I think any of my bullets would deal with them condors :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath I think they are in a different price range than I like and with the condors - what are they good for - absolutely nothing except they have stimulated the production of some better bullets but it depends on the application how they do in a particular rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'd much rather be served wine by nice looking gals than preparing to operate a snow shovel and trying to remember where i left my tire chains :cry:

Jolly good show.

Not an '88, but i recently came into possesion of a Model 100 i may range test soon. A former stepmother (my dad married a handful of times - :oops: ) of mine had a nervous breakdown and her family entrusted me with the rifle. Under the circumstances, its not mine until someone tells me it is, but i remember my dad using it on a few hunting trips, so as long as i take judicious care, i feel that entitles me to a range trip when it thaws out here :D
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Never fired a 100 but I understand some can be very accurate. I have never even seen a very good example.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Fred, I guess you said something about guns or whatnot, but you really bring out the fine smiles with the ladies! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I don't have pics but I have tested some condor loads, most accurate was 30-30 (32.0 gr H 4895). I have used this hunting for 2 years now and have only scared a coyote with it. But it goes where you put it.

This year I've also tested 35 Rem with the 200 grain bullet, despite all the naysayers I didn't blow myself up. Space is tight in that case with all that bullet but there is still room for 30 grains H4895. A sedate velocity and it won't expand, even at the muzzle, but it's a big pointy solid and should hurt whatever wants to hurt me.

Sometimes I might feel like a 5-6 pound rifle, that would be my 1894c. I made up condor loads for it with 12.5 grains of IMR4227 which also works best for several other bullets. It was the most accurate and since the bullet is only 140 grains, should have a decent velocity. Good thing about this bullet is it will expand, out to 300 yards or so if I remember correctly. Too close and the petals will fold back and make only a small hole, but with good penetration. These Barnes bullets seem to have a narrow range of effectiveness, but I understand they are very effective within that range.

I also shot the Federal factory loads for .243, and these were pretty accurate. The rifle is a little hard to handle at distance, it's superlight with a short barrel. So it tends to fishtail and my group at 200 yards was probably about 12". I believe the rifle can do better but it might have to be locked down somehow. No issues with expansion out to 300 yards or so.

I plan to take each one out this spring but will probably hunt with the .243; it's light enough to carry anywhere and everywhere. It's funny what difference a few pounds can make. Last year I was all over some ridges I used to only stare at in the distance.
Last edited by El Chivo on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Chi, ridges we do have! From our experience that 85 gr 243 bullet is good from 50 yds to 275 which was the range of the hits last year on deer. Charles will likely be hunting with a Rem Model 600 308 for pig and deer this year using the E Tips - we both used the TSX 243 this year in factory loads. And with the 243, it has been accurate in 4 rifles, not so with the 308 which has varied quite a bit among the three rifles we have tried it in.

rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Old Savage, it looks like you can't go anywhere without taking a picture of a good looking woman. Must be disease. :D :D God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Rodeo, sometimes it is just a target rich environment. :D

SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

Beautiful wine country. My wife and I plan to buy an RV and see the US when I retire again. We know more about South America than we do the USA. I love Argentinean and Chilean wines but know nothing about the great wines produced here in the USA.

On condor compliant bullets: I have been shooting the Barnes TSX in 30-06, 308, 7x57 Rimmed and 300 win mag. I love that bullet. It has sub-MOA accuracy and no animal has taken another step after being hit by one. I am loading some in 405 and 45-70 so I'll let you know how they shoot in those calibers. I want to use my Win 1895 in 405 for a water buffalo at the end of the month but my Shiloh Sharps keeps talking to me.
oldguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldguy »

"take the long way home"
supertramp. '79
oldguy.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

SF - quite interested in how those 45/70s perform.