Is this worth the price?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Is this worth the price?

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I have been looking for a revolver in 38-40 to go with an original Win 1873 in same caliber. I have no idea on the worth of Colt pistols. Anyone have an opinion as to whether this Colt is worth the minimum bid price?
ole pizen slinger

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =214219427
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is this worth the price?

Post by Pete44ru »

Nope. A lettered & unmolested Bisley in that condition is only worth about $3500-$4000.

TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Pete44ru wrote:Nope. A lettered & unmolested Bisley in that condition is only worth about $3500-$4000.

I am not the OP, but I don't think I understand, they are asking starting bid of $1999. you said they are not worth that much, but only worth twice that, is this a typo?
Thanks
Terry
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I think it is a yoke.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I wasn't joking, nor did I make a typo - AND (for the trifecta) the seller is NOT asking $1900 for the gun.

It is at auction - meaning it will be sold to the highest bidder - PROVIDED the winning bid is above any reserve price.

The seller has merely started his auction for that gun @ $1900, to save time and sort out some of the tire-kickers.
There is most likely a hidden reserve price, much higher - below which the gun will not be sold.

The gun pictured is easily worth $3500.

If it were pristine, a winning bidder should be looking at spending about $10,000 :shock:

After all - just where (today) would you get another one, exactly like it - for less $$$ ? :roll:

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

The auction shows "No reserve". With three days left and no bids as of now who knows a minimum bid may get it. You never know.
Out of my price range and rough looking but at the Denver Collectors show they seem to be priced higher.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, I wasn't joking, nor did I make a typo - AND (for the trifecta) the seller is NOT asking $1900 for the gun.

It is at auction - meaning it will be sold to the highest bidder - PROVIDED the winning bid is above any reserve price.

The seller has merely started his auction for that gun @ $1900, to save time and sort out some of the tire-kickers.
There is most likely a hidden reserve price, much higher - below which the gun will not be sold.

The gun pictured is easily worth $3500.

If it were pristine, a winning bidder should be looking at spending about $10,000 :shock:

After all - just where (today) would you get another one, exactly like it - for less $$$ ? :roll:

Ok I can see now what you meant, just took me off guard.
And yes I know it was the starting bid.
Terry
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I disagree, Pete. That is a shooter grade Bisley and, IMO, not worth the opener. I paid $1100 for a .44 WCF Bisley in better condition not so many years ago. Like Winchester rifles, some folks tend to assign a high value to any Colt SA, regardless of the overall condition. There is corrosion and pitting throughout that gun and signs of polishing, especially on the cylinder flutes. To sell the gun he needs to drop a thousand from the starting bid. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree I wouldn't pay opening bid. I'd get a new one.

Edited: I don't mean to necessarily buy a Colt. There's USFA's too. Just take a quick look through here. And, this was just one place.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Categ ... ittostate=&
Old Law Dawg
Gary Norsk
Levergunner

Post by Gary Norsk »

Didn't look to bad form the outside but the muzzle and throat of the barrel looks like 5 miles of bad road, not a shooter. Also hammer at full cock looks like the trigger or hammer sear broken. Lots of photos but not much on inspected condition. Gary
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

O-P-S, et al: See what Gary Norsk posted. And take note that the seller did not mention bore condition. Red flag in my opinion.

Too bad that US Firearms does not make a Bisley....
www.usfirearms.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Ok I went over to USFA, I have never herd of them before, I am courious what makes them worth more then say a Ruger vaquaro (or however you spell it :oops: )?
Terry
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

No condition, too much pitting...$1500.00 is too much. I own five, all in different calibers, so I have bought and sold a few Bisleys.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
ole pizen slinger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Thanks for the help, guys. You've given me enough info to make up my mind.
OPS
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.