307 trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

307 trapper

Post by Huntermb »

Hey just got a call from a buddy of mine who has apparantly picked up a 307 model 94 that has been cut down to a trapper configuration. that seems to me like it's going to be too loud and a huge muzzle blast and that it will take away from this great cartridge, what's your thoughts on it or has anyone seen this done before?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 307 trapper

Post by Old Savage »

probably true but depends I guess how much 30 caliber power you want out of a Trapper.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, just figure he's shooting a 308 Winchester class round out of a 16" barrel. He just might need welding goggles :shock: to keep from going flash blind. Oh and tell him not to forget the ear protection .... IT WILL BE VERY LOUD.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got a .308 bolt pistol with a 12" barrel. Haven't fired it in years.

The issue that needs the most 'management' is following through with the recoil after firing. In my gun's case it is exhibited as muzzle lift.

I guess it's loud... I honestly never paid much attention because I was focused on what I was shooting at.

It's not a gun you want to get too close to yer noggin while lining up the sights.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I have an Automag in 30 Carbine, ear splitting loud, but in the evening low light it is a hoot to shoot!
Terry
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I have shot yotes at near dark with both the .222 and .308 both with 18.5'' barrels and the flash was bad, I used both BLC2 and 748 but that is through a 10x scope.
The best part was the look on my trusty hounds face ya you got him kinda look. Then he would go on about how you cant trust a dog with pointy ears?
I never had that problem with my long guns even the .300s mag's and that is at least 40 kills near dark. I have set cow patty's on fire though twice! :oops:
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You'd have to play around with handloads the same way you would with a 308 Contender or Encore. With traditional slow burning rifle powders, it would blow a pretty good fireball.
Last edited by JB on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Numrich still had new 20 barrels last time I checked. I would put it back to factory length.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

BenT wrote:Numrich still had new 20 barrels last time I checked. I would put it back to factory length.
I should mention that to him, pick up a barrel and a magazine tube and he'd be good to go.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Certainly there'll be more blast than with a longer barrel, but I've got a 16" .308 carbine and it's nothing like some magnums out of a 20" barrel or .30 carbine out of a pistol etc., so don't overestimate the issue.

I suspect he could also pick his powders carefully and hand load up some that would flash less.

It'll be a hard hitting, flat shooting carbine and that's not to be dismissed out of hand!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

brno - use faster powders if that is your purpose.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I certainly would shoot it before I went to the expense of rebarreling. My .30 Carbine Blackhawk does have a flash that is noticeable through the scope but I got used to it fairly quickly. Honestly, all of my centerfires are loud, but I never notice any noise when taking a shot while hunting. All other times, I wear hearing protection. Even with the .30 Carbine noise isn't an issue with proper hearing protection.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

H4895 my choice.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!