Went to the range...learned a lesson

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Went to the range...learned a lesson

Post by TMair »

Yesterday I had a change to go to the shooting range to shoot my Browning 1886 carbine, I had hand loads 400 Gr. jacked flat point, at Max load, man are those things brutal, I have a broose on my shoulde, and I am not un-used to recoil, I had a 375 H&H mag, I have a 416 Rem Mag, I hunt ducks with a 10 Ga. but this was way past all that, so the lesson I learned was Don't shoot those reloads, there is nothing I will be hunting that needs that kind of power.

Now a question for those of you who hunt Elk with your 45-70s what is your favorite load, not nessisarily load data, but what gr bullets, and how clost to max, or far away from it do you like?

Thanks
Terry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Went to the range...learned a lesson

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I stopped using anything heavier than a 350gr slug in ANY .45-70, over 10 years ago - and not over 300gr in the lighter versions , like a Handi, a Trapdoor Carbine, or Ruger #3 Carbine.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I once loaded up 40 rounds for my 45-70 of 405 grain cast bullets loaded to the max (around 2,000 fps). After taking about 5 shots, I pulled the bullets of the rest and reloaded them to sane levels.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Terry,
The gun you use is the same gun my son uses when we hunt elk each year. The load we both use (I use an original 1886 ExLwt--sometimes other old Winchesters) for the 45-70 is my own cast NEI 375 gr. gas check bullet in front of 40 gr. of RL-7 for 1700. So far he has shot two with this load. The first went about 40 yards and the one this past season dropped like a ton of rocks. I was right next to him. It pretty much "line of sight" to 150 yards.-------Sixgun

dates wrong--should be 11-10

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

KirkD wrote:I once loaded up 40 rounds for my 45-70 of 405 grain cast bullets loaded to the max (around 2,000 fps). After taking about 5 shots, I pulled the bullets of the rest and reloaded them to sane levels.
That is how fast mine where supposed to go according to the reloading manuel, I did not take the crony to check, fortunatly I only loaded 20, I have 4 left, and I will probably shoot them just because...well...because I'm an idiot I guess, but not big enough of an idiot to shoot them from the bench.
Last night I loaded some 350Gr hollow points, and NOT to max levels, so I will have to see how they shoot...after my shoulder becomes less tender :oops:
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Sixgun wrote:Terry,
The gun you use is the same gun my son uses when we hunt elk each year. The load we both use (I use an original 1886 ExLwt--sometimes other old Winchesters) for the 45-70 is my own cast NEI 375 gr. gas check bullet in front of 40 gr. of RL-7 for 1700. So far he has shot two with this load. The first went about 40 yards and the one this past season dropped like a ton of rocks. I was right next to him. It pretty much "line of sight" to 150 yards.-------Sixgun

dates wrong--should be 11-10

Nice photos, and thanks for the information!!
How does he like his tang sight? I was going to put a tang sight on mine but decided to go with a Wilson receiver sight, I like wraping my thimb around the wrist of the stock.
Terry
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I once shot some similar loads from a Buffalo Classic I had at the time. A 400gr speer bullet, loaded to just a tad over 2000fps. I was shooting at steel plates placed on a hillside, at the local range, that were 250yds out.

The best part was listening to that 400gr slug smack the steel after the 30cal guys got through. Ping :) ping :) ping :) BLAAANG :o ! There were a few heads turning when those slugs smacked steel

Oh yea, it did smart at the shoulder too. That steel butplate was not real friendly.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I also had two 400 gr. factory loads with me, those felt real comfotable :mrgreen: and I had my little Rossi 44 Mag. which felt like a 22 after shooting those reloads :o
Terry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My "GP" load is 22gr 2400 over a Lyman 457122 HP "Gould" bullet at (IIRC) 1400fps or so. I see no need to exceed that except for special circumstances.

In that case I have a 425gr Gas Check bullet that I haven't messed with much, but would probably do nicely loaded to absurd levels... but I wouldn't fire more than necessary to have a confident Zero and Kill.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My Browning carbine is now a .45-90 and the recoil is a bit much when shooting from the bench. I did the same with my original ELWTD .45-90 last time and my shoulder actually had two bloody spots from shooting MAX loads of 300 grain bullets at nearly 2500 FPS. That load was 52/4198/300 Barnes. The little '86 only weighs 7 3/4 lbs and has a steel shotgun butt plate. I did post some of my loads tested on AmmoGuide. The 250 Barnes TSX is all you need for mule deer, but when going after elk I use the old 350 Hornady RN. 58 grs N-133 will push the 350 out the tube at 2150 FPS.

I like RL7 and XMR2015 for the .45-70. There are a lot of good loads published for every possible powder and bullet weight you desire.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

TMair wrote: Now a question for those of you who hunt Elk with your 45-70s what is your favorite load, not nessisarily load data, but what gr bullets, and how clost to max, or far away from it do you like?

Thanks
Terry

I always get a kick out of those that forget the 45-70 has made its living since 1873 chunkin a 400 gr bullet at 13-1400 fps. If a person uses the original design bullets whether the 400 or the 500 gr versions at the original ballistics, there isn't a critter on this or most any other continent that can hold one inside with a broadside hit.
The ol bugger just flat works as it was originally designed and built and it always will. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Terry.
As far as the sighting system goes for your rifle, the best choice for you would be a solid receiver sight.

We use tang sights because, well, we're weirdo's. :D We like the way they did it in the old days. For me, a tang sight is quicker to pick up on a target vs. a receiver sight.

Tang sights are more easily knocked out of commission. So what I'm saying is if you are not framiliar with all of the aspects of a tang sight , (including staying conscience of the sight while hunting) a receiver sight would be the way to go! :D ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, a tang sight seems to be right where my hand wants to be.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Stuff a newspaper down your jacket (adjust the thickness) next time.

I never shoot heavy loads (not so much these days) other than standing or sitting with a vertical back etc, ya gotta go with it,,,, or roll with it,,,,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We loaded some up for a friend at about 1875 fps with the 400. 6' 5", 270 lbs, he took a beating with bruises in not many rounds. Another friend who is 5' 10" and 145 lbs shot them all up - he gives with recoil like the front fork on a dirt bike. That crescent butt plate can be an issue for some. That is what is on this rifle. I have loads that do the same velocity in my Marlin 1895SS with a 350 - no problem. I think a shotgun butt or the like on the 86 would be a big help. The traditional loads those rifles were made for are a much lower power/velocity level.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Don McDowell wrote: I always get a kick out of those that forget the 45-70 has made its living since 1873 chunkin a 400 gr bullet at 13-1400 fps. If a person uses the original design bullets whether the 400 or the 500 gr versions at the original ballistics, there isn't a critter on this or most any other continent that can hold one inside with a broadside hit.
The ol bugger just flat works as it was originally designed and built and it always will. :)
Don is bang-on right. I agree 100%. I've shot and hunted with the 45-70 for about 20 years now. At first, I would load my cartridges up a bit on the steamy side, but eventually realized there was no point ...... they would plow right through a 200 pound Whitetail deer even at 1,000 fps. My largest was a 300+ pound Whitetail buck. Same story .... the bullet went right through and blasted an 8" hole in the river ice about 3" thick. I was out at the range one day doing some 200 yard shooting at traditional velocities with a 405 grain bullet. My first sighter shot was a bit low. It plowed an 6-foot long furrow in the rock-hard baked clay ground, bounced up and went sideways right through a 2x8 plank, and then buried itself in the berm behind the target. When a fellow loads his 45-70 to traditional BP ballistics, with BP or smokeless, the 45-70 becomes a very enjoyable gun to shoot .... and all my 45-70s, except the very first one which was a modern Marlin 1895, have/had steel buttplates. The 45-70 loaded to sane levels is just a joy to shoot and you are never underpowered, at least not here in North America.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Old Savage wrote:We loaded some up for a friend at about 1875 fps with the 400. 6' 5", 270 lbs, he took a beating with bruises in not many rounds. Another friend who is 5' 10" and 145 lbs shot them all up - he gives with recoil like the front fork on a dirt bike. That crescent butt plate can be an issue for some. That is what is on this rifle. I have loads that do the same velocity in my Marlin 1895SS with a 350 - no problem. I think a shotgun butt or the like on the 86 would be a big help. The traditional loads those rifles were made for are a much lower power/velocity level.
That is my problem, I am not 6'5", but I do weigh 250 lbs and I don't move sitting at the bench, the truth is the loads wernt all that bad from standing where I could roll with the recoil, but dang it you gotta site them in, I will be reducing the load, but I think I am still going to use the 400 gr. bullet, I mean that is the point of the 45-70 right :D
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

KirkD wrote:
Don McDowell wrote: I always get a kick out of those that forget the 45-70 has made its living since 1873 chunkin a 400 gr bullet at 13-1400 fps. If a person uses the original design bullets whether the 400 or the 500 gr versions at the original ballistics, there isn't a critter on this or most any other continent that can hold one inside with a broadside hit.
Don is bang-on right. I agree 100%. I've shot and hunted with the 45-70 for about 20 years now. At first, I would load my cartridges up a bit on the steamy side, but eventually realized there was no point ...... they would plow right through a 200 pound Whitetail deer even at 1,000 fps. My largest was a 300+ pound Whitetail buck. Same story .... the bullet went right through and blasted an 8" hole in the river ice about 3" thick. I was out at the range one day doing some 200 yard shooting at traditional velocities with a 405 grain bullet. My first sighter shot was a bit low. It plowed an 6-foot long furrow in the rock-hard baked clay ground, bounced up and went sideways right through a 2x8 plank, and then buried itself in the berm behind the target. When a fellow loads his 45-70 to traditional BP ballistics, with BP or smokeless, the 45-70 becomes a very enjoyable gun to shoot .... and all my 45-70s, except the very first one which was a modern Marlin 1895, have/had steel buttplates. The 45-70 loaded to sane levels is just a joy to shoot and you are never underpowered, at least not here in North America.
What can I say, in this day and age we are taught from a young age that there is no substitute for speed, of course I am learning the folly of that way of thinking.
Terry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of the most accurate loads in my Marlin 45-70 loadings is 25 gr of 2400 with a 400 Speer. I think the new 2400 kicks the velocity up some though and may have to be reduced a couple of grains but it is a pleasant load to shoot and in the lower range discussed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Savage wrote:One of the most accurate loads in my Marlin 45-70 loadings is 25 gr of 2400 with a 400 Speer. I think the new 2400 kicks the velocity up some though and may have to be reduced a couple of grains but it is a pleasant load to shoot and in the lower range discussed.
I love 2400...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

325 grain & 400 grain at 1450 & 1300 respectfully outta my Browning 1886 rifle. I know I've shot it, after 20 or so rounds... but up to that, no biggie. Even tho' my Sharps is almost 2-½ lbs heavier, has a shotgun butt and usually eats 350 grain pills at almost 1700 fps, they hammer my shoulder about the same... yet, I can shoot the Sharps all day due to that shotgun butt.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I use 53 grs 3031 with a 400 gr Barnes for a carry load in the mountains. Never chrono'd them, but they reportedly do about 1850 fps. I don't find them unpleasant to shoot, but I don't shoot many of them. Usually seem to shoot 300 gr loads for plinking, but shoot some various cheaper 400's at the same velocity for practice. Havent killed anything but a deer with that load, I usually hunt with a scoped bolt gun.

When shooting off a bench, most seem to lean into the gun, which is the problem, not that you're shooting from a bench. If you get your rest up high enough that your back is straight up, it isnt so bad.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

I love power, but I just won't shoot anything that could cause me to develop a flinch. It just isn't worth it.

It is good to learn new things.
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mal - wasn't that a Keith load?

Also, turn more sideways to the gun. Learned that watching an old guy sight in his 458 Model 70.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Yes Fred, Keiths book was where I first heard of it. I've been shooting that load since the early 80's. They have a bit of recoil, but I've made 3 shots on a rolling rock with them. They arent hard to shoot or control.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?