The end?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

The end?

Post by Malamute »

I saw a post on another forum from a guys grandson using his login name, the guy had passed away, and left instructons and a list of forums and passwords for his grandson to notify folks he had passed. I thought that was a nice gesture. Anybody have plans in place for such an eventuality? It would be sad if one of our regular guys just dropped off the face of the earth and nobody knew what happened.

The post title read "RIP Ironbar"
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: The end?

Post by J Miller »

I haven't done that yet, but I have given it a lot of thought. Pretty much a self made good buy note with instructions, forums and email addresses.

Yeah, it's a good thing to do.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was driving back from Florida today I was thinking about posting a notice on my blog that I would have to redate to keep it from automatically publishing. If I die, then with nobody to maintain the blog it would publish. Miss me, go to the blog and get the news, check the obits and there you go. It is sure to be in the paper what with the parades and such as people celebrate my departure...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Here's the post that made me think of it,

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... 9&t=574491
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Quite the thought. This is really the only forum anymore that I'm active on. I've belonged to many, but I always seem to lose interest as the snide remarks and holier than thou attitudes turn me off. I've never been a part of a forum like this one. It'd be a shame to lose anyone, but from here especially. You're all like family.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

this is my main forum. the others will hear of it probably from those here. my brother will be sure to post if I go first. I would do the same for him. In addition, I have a list of things in my will that my brother is to destroy without out reading or opening. among them, my laptops, phone, journals and a lockbox of items I have kept over the years. In the will is also a letter of personal friends, their contact info and what he is suppose to say to each, or in some cases, a letter he is to deliver to them. I have also, each year, made a recording to my family and friends with my final thoughts and words to them. I make a habit of not letting a grudge go unresolved. I am prepared to go to my creator should it happen unexpectedly
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For me, it would pretty much just be this site, so I guess I'm just not all that 'well-traveled' on the internet. :oops:
Hobie wrote:I was driving back from Florida today I was thinking about posting a notice on my blog that I would have to redate to keep it from automatically publishing. If I die, then with nobody to maintain the blog it would publish. Miss me, go to the blog and get the news, check the obits and there you go. It is sure to be in the paper what with the parades and such as people celebrate my departure...
But if you forget someday to redate it, we'll all get some big funeral planned, only to find out later you're pulling a Tom Sawyer and attending your own funeral alive. That would never do...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:this is my main forum. the others will hear of it probably from those here. my brother will be sure to post if I go first. I would do the same for him. In addition, I have a list of things in my will that my brother is to destroy without out reading or opening. among them, my laptops, phone, journals and a lockbox of items I have kept over the years. In the will is also a letter of personal friends, their contact info and what he is suppose to say to each, or in some cases, a letter he is to deliver to them. I have also, each year, made a recording to my family and friends with my final thoughts and words to them. I make a habit of not letting a grudge go unresolved. I am prepared to go to my creator should it happen unexpectedly
Well thought out Mike, as always. I need to do the same. If I go, I'm sure Y2K will let you know.

Mike, your last line reminds me of a quote in the movie "Gods and Generals" from the actor playing "Stonewall" Jackson. Something along the lines "ours is to always be ready" (to meet our maker). Words to live by...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Me, just look for the house with the line of guys with
one eye on Lady J & the other eye on the gun safe. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

If you don't hear from me just figure "He's hyena poop somewhere in Africa!"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

JIM T

I'm sure we will hear the praises of your arrival at the throne through the rejoicing of the angels, but just in case we don't I will remember your post here always. Made me laugh. blessings sir.

mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not a bad idea :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Long ago when I first started making a few friends online I told my wife to visit my sites if I kick off sudden-like and let 'em know I'm gone.

I had a good friend that I corresponded with for many years suddenly die and had to find out during an extensive search until I found his death notice. What a bummer. :cry: :cry:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Why would you care? Are your former internet buddies gonna try to contact you on dead.com?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

2X22 wrote:I had a good friend that I corresponded with for many years suddenly die and had to find out during an extensive search until I found his death notice. What a bummer.
That's one good reason.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

mouthpiece wrote:Why would you care? Are your former internet buddies gonna try to contact you on dead.com?
Courtesy and consideration.

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Planning on taking the .348WCF with me. Will continue to post from the HAPPY HUNTING GROUNDS.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

mouthpiece wrote:Why would you care? Are your former internet buddies gonna try to contact you on dead.com?
agreed. if i were on my death bed the internet would be the last thing on my mind.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

You'll never catch me whining about my car broke down, my dog died, my wife left me, my girlfriend is pregnant!! That's the kind of thing I share with my friends, family, or neighbors if I need to...not some forum on the internet.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:
+1. I just pray that you do't read about in the paper first... you know... some bit about some slaphappy trucker gone postal! Not that's likely... you guys keep me grounded.

But then... there's always some yahoo over on the SASS Wire posting some stupid interpretation of one of their rules... or questioning their validity, or the need for... MORE! Usually guaranteed to make me double up on the BP meds!

But, a grand idea... guess I'll have to get the son some instructions... he's good at following 'em, just not at thinkin' outside the box.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I always wanted to spend my last days floating on an iceberg, so I guess you have to get the news of my departure from Al Gore when he reports that I drowned when my floating home melted.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Good idea, but some of the guys here are going to be going to thier local FFL for pickup.
mouthpiece
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mouthpiece »

Malamute wrote:
My guess is that after I die, I am absolved from all temporal obligations of etiquette. If I'm mistaken, what else must I do after death to be polite to those whom I have left behind?