OT-Celebrated J M Browning's Achievement Today!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Celebrated J M Browning's Achievement Today!

Post by COSteve »

I couldn't pass up a good deal on a NIB Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 45acp pistol today so I've finally rejoined the 1911 ranks after a 40 year hiatus. I've been a Glock and revolver guy for a long time but what with the 100th anniversary of the 1911 coming next month, I decided it was time to get in the game.

I'm not a fan of the tricked out versions, just a plain old parkerized 1911 A1 (with white dot sights in deference to my 64 yr old eyes) is what I wanted and what I found. I also got a deal on 3 spare mags so I'm GTG with a total of 5ea 7rd puppies. I'm happy as a clam with it and hope to wring it out shortly. The battery in the camera is dead so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to post some pics.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Celebrated J M Browning's Achievement Today!

Post by JerryB »

Glad to here it. That is just like a Winchester 94 30-30, every home should have one.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Congradulations on your new purchase. I have one of the Springfield Lightweight GI Milspec 4 inch guns. I own several 1911's and it's about my favorite for CCW. Mine has the tiny milspec sights, but I can see this particular set just fine, and I love the no snag qualities of that rounded front sight on mine.

I did change a few things to get it just right for me. I swaped out the mainspring housing and all of the guts in it too, for an Ed Brown Arched mainspring housing, new mainspring, etc. I did not like the lock built into the Springfield housing so I eliminated it.

Being left handed I also installed a Wilson Ambi Safety, and some real nice Wilson checkered wood slabs. That's about it, it's a fine shooting gun, and a great CCW gun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

COSteve: made in the USofA or another "quality import"?....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

COSteve, that's great, I think I need one too.
Just wondering where at the base of the rocky mountains do you live?
Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats Steve! It's my favorite auto-loader... wait, it's my only autoloader pistol! With 3 (gov't issue, Gold Cup & CC) and one on the way... I think I'm set with 'em!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I like that model quite a lot Steve and owned one very much like it 25 years ago when Springfield was just getting back into 1911s. They have another model today called the Range Officer that looks very good to me as well.

Congrats!

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I looked at it but it has too many features not found in an original 1911-A1 for my tastes such as a melted Bo-Mar rear sight, beavertail grip safety, lightweight hammer, lightweight adjustable trigger, and flat main spring housing. For many it might be a good choice but for me, I like the traditional look of the Mil-Spec model. Also, I've found that the arched mainspring housing gives me a more natural aim.

Springfield Range Officer:

Springfield Ml-Spec:

Steve
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Steve: you are tempting me way too much! I turn 65 this March and if the calendar dates are correct, the US Army adopted the M1911 in March 1911. Just may need to buy me something for my birthday. And those those are best kind of gifts -- To Me; from Me -- you get exactly what you want.

I prefer the M1991 grip, but have no problems witht he 1911A1 grip. Do not care much for all of the tricked out .45's and all the accessories for it. From what I read, Colt is manufactuirng a M1911 to GI specifications this year only. Might need to look into it and hopefully it will not have any billboard sized commemorative stamps on it.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yep, I hear that a few companies are releasing 100 yr commemorative models but I'm not into those as they have all the extra markings and a premium price for something I'd rather not have. I'm usually most interested in the money being spent on internal quality and not external 'goodies'. Not saying that they don't look good, just saying they're not my cup o tea.
Steve
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

JerryB wrote:Glad to here it. That is just like a Winchester 94 30-30, every home should have one.
YES 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote:Glad to here it. That is just like a Winchester 94 30-30, every home should have one.
Yep. Took me over 30 years of gun-buying to get to the .30-30, and then it was 'only' a Marlin, but the 1911 niche was filled around 1976; traded back and forth since then, but always had a 1911 of some sort around.

I like those practical, but attractive, grip panels... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

COSteve wrote:...I'm almost disappointed after hearing all the stories of finicky 1911s. NOT!! :lol:
A properly "loose" GI 1911 cannot be any more "finicky" than an AK can be "finicky". It is mechanically impossible.

I really (really, really) want to build a CCO to replace my G19...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

If it will feed those "hot tub" hollowpoints, you indeed have a fine pistol. I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the all the 1911's are assembled in Ill. The ones with marked Genesco Ill, have the frame made in the USA. The others marked Brazil are indeed made there. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rodeo kid wrote:If it will feed those "hot tub" hollowpoints, you indeed have a fine pistol. I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the all the 1911's are assembled in Ill. The ones with marked Genesco Ill, have the frame made in the USA. The others marked Brazil are indeed made there. God Bless.
Yes, I'm surprised that it fed them too. I read the same thing and as my frame says Genesco, Ill it looks like I got a USA made one.
Steve
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Very nice bottom feeder, sir!

I, too, am a fan the "loose" mil spec variety 1911. I have a late 80's vintage Mil Spec Springer and it will eat everything you feed it.

That is the beauty of the mil spec 1911, especially the Springfield Armory models which I am partial to. That pistol is designed to run flawlessly and save your life, not look like a race car or a super model.

This is mine....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Well that's great to hear. I was hoping that this would be the case but one never knows until you try it. I all my firearms to be 'shooters' rather than 'lookers'. In fact that is the single rule I have with my firearms; it shoots well or it's gone. Nary a safe queen in the lot for me. As I said, I'm pleased with this new addition.

BTW, I've been giving it a dose of dry cycling (no mag) and dry firing to smooth things out and I'm feeling it smooth out just fine. I'm a happy camper!! :D
Steve
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

TMair wrote:COSteve, that's great, I think I need one too.
There are wants and there are needs and an M1911A1 is definitely a need. Specifically, an untinkered 1930 - 1950 era Colt / Remington / etc.

But that's just IMO :-)
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Good choice COSteve, I'm glad your Springfield is running smooth. I am also trying to decide which 1911 to buy to celebrate the 100 years. I'm like you, except older by a couple, and have not owned a 1911 since the early 1970's. How did you decide on the Springfield? Did you look at the new Remington? I almost bought a Kimber a week or two ago, but it had toooooo many bells and whistles. Your comments may have helped me make up my mind. Hope you enjoy your new 1911 for may years to come.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my RIA mil spec. I find that the mil spec 1911s are less finicky since they were meant to feed and function under adverse conditions. I hope you never have reason to be disappointed in your 1911. You might also consider getting one of the conversion kits for .22lr so that you can enjoy more time practicing with it at lower cost. My Ciener conversion kit works great and is accurate.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Meeteetse wrote:Good choice COSteve, I'm glad your Springfield is running smooth. I am also trying to decide which 1911 to buy to celebrate the 100 years. I'm like you, except older by a couple, and have not owned a 1911 since the early 1970's. How did you decide on the Springfield? Did you look at the new Remington? I almost bought a Kimber a week or two ago, but it had toooooo many bells and whistles. Your comments may have helped me make up my mind. Hope you enjoy your new 1911 for may years to come.
I looked at every brand of 1911 from Norincos to Les Baers as well as talked to some old hands I know who've been shooting and competing with 1911s for forever. I became convinced that I wanted a forged frame and slide for long life durability. That knocked out the budget competition. I also didn't want the loaded up features and I wanted a pistol that would shoot reliably right out of the box so that knocked the Kimbers. The high priced spread took care of itself from price alone so I felt that the Springfield Mil-Spec fit the bill for my wants just fine.
Steve
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

COSteve wrote: I wanted a pistol that would shoot reliably right out of the box so that knocked the Kimbers.
I don't think my Kimber has ever choked on a round, and all I did was take it out of the box and shoot it. Everyone I know who owns one loves it but they don't even make a "Government Model" that I know of - not their niche at all.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

olyinaz wrote:
COSteve wrote: I wanted a pistol that would shoot reliably right out of the box so that knocked the Kimbers.
I don't think my Kimber has ever choked on a round, and all I did was take it out of the box and shoot it. Everyone I know who owns one loves it but they don't even make a "Government Model" that I know of - not their niche at all.
I'm glad your Kimber is running well for you but in truth, Kimbers are known for having a higher percentage of operating issues when new than many 1911s. In fairness, most are resolved with a trip back to the factory for some tuning but it's clear that they spend more on the look on the outside than the fine finish on the inside.
Steve