Pack Ratitis

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Pack Ratitis

Post by Hobie »

I am convinced that I have a condition I call Pack Ratitis. I've got so much stuff squirreled away I don't know what I've got.

This morning I decided that I needed to get off my duff and find the trigger group pin for my Winchester 120 shotgun and take off the side-saddle. This to make the gun handier and so that I can more quickly install the birding or rifled slug barrels. Now that it is a secondary HD shotgun, the Ithaca M37 Riot Gun is #1, I thought this was a good move. After digging through parts boxes looking for the pin I found a #7 Tyler T grip adapter. I've been trying to buy one without actually ordering from Tyler and had completely forgotten about ever getting this one. Then it finally occurred to me that the pin was in then choke tube box for that shotgun and there it was.

So I installed the Tyler-T on my Colt PP Target .22 LR and removed the side-saddle from the Winchester. I also found a Lyman 66 receiver sight for the Winchester 94 I had forgotten and some other Williams receiver sights. I also found an aluminum follower for the 1894C, a spring kit for a shotgun and a sourdough front sight... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Re: Pack Ratitis

Post by Cimarron »

Yep, a sure case of Pack Ratitis! Sorry to say there is no cure. :lol:
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I believe this to be a common ailment among many of us here. I know my wife says I have it bad.
Ricky

DWWC
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I only went through two of my parts boxes... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie, you are not alone :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

That's another good reason why a guy needs a big garage, a shop, and a big barn !!! You never know when you might need some of that stuff . :)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife has packratitis, squirrels away an amazing amount of kitchen widgets, quilting materials, shoes, other such junk.

I, on the other hand, carefully preserve and store really good stuff that will come in handy some day.

:D :D :D
Last edited by jnyork on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Cimarron wrote:Yep, a sure case of Pack Ratitis! Sorry to say there is no cure. :lol:
Who said anyone was looking for a cure ?lol
while I don't have a Garage I do have a Shop and a Barn And 3 good sized sheds which R all full. when Some one asks if I have such and such I reply "Yea, but U have to find it". I have what My Wife calls My Glory Hole. She says keep it down there away from the House and it will be fine. I would Post a Pic but Someone might turn Me in to Code Enforcement.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Y'all a bunch of amateurs :lol: Just ask my wife
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only cure is to obtain more stuff. When you get enough, you will be healed.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Its amazing how much stuff we can accumulate for our.........lets say hobbies...

my wife wanted a 3 bedroom 2 bath...big kitchen, living, family and dining room...
and 2 car garage...to store our stuff!

i wanted a 4 car garage with a work shop / mancave....
for for my hunting fishing & shooting hobbies...... :D
with an small attached home for a place to sleep, cook, and watch tv....
oyeah......and to store her stuff....

I lost......... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

nothing was broken on my Winchesters so I ordered a bunch of parts anyway.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

El Chivo wrote:nothing was broken on my Winchesters so I ordered a bunch of parts anyway.

+1
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I confess, I have it too but then I came by it honestly. I live on part of the "Old Home Place", (we've been here since 1882) and my grandfather must have had it, my uncle Bob had it and my Dad had it. Every barn, shed, garage and the woods for a hundred yards are full of old stuff. I have even hauled tons and tons (literally) to the scrap yard and you can't see a dent. Now my sons and grandsons have it and use the place to hoard their stuff. There's nothing to do but surrender.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I've seen folks who really like to do that kind of thing are rewarded with the "joy of re-discovery" when they find things that they forgot they had. My wife comes from a long line of "re-discoverers".
NRA life member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:My wife has packratitis, squirrels away an amazing amount of kitchen widgets, quilting materials, shoes, other such junk.
I, on the other hand, carefully preserve and store really good stuff that will come in handy some day.
:D :D :D
Oh that is SO my wife and I!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Actually there is a fairly reliable cure/preventative for this ailment: Move across the country twice in three years time.

Now paying for someone else to pack/move you doesn't count, you have to do all the packing your own self.

It certainly has worked for me. I bet I'm down four of five tons gross weight since 2007!

Of course I've kept only the good, important stuff! :)

Cat
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Problem? What problem? Wether we use our spare parts for ourselves or a buddy, or as a conversation peice they all serve a purpose. One of these days the purpose for my "parts" will be extra money for me. Yeah right. About the time I start going through all that good stuff I'll decide I really can't get rid of nothing. Just because I ain't used it in 15 years don't mean I won't someday.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Maybe you should call those "American Picker" guys from TV.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Catshooter wrote:Actually there is a fairly reliable cure/preventative for this ailment: Move across the country twice in three years time.

Now paying for someone else to pack/move you doesn't count, you have to do all the packing your own self.

It certainly has worked for me. I bet I'm down four of five tons gross weight since 2007!

Of course I've kept only the good, important stuff! :)

Cat
I used to do that. I could fit all my belongings (and I was married) in the back of a pickup truck. Before the kids it all went in the back of a 1973 Datsun pickup. I couldn't fit it all in a single 53' trailer now. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

RKrodle wrote:I believe this to be a common ailment among many of us here. I know my wife says I have it bad.
In spades here. Drives my wife nuts. Oh well, I can think of a LOT worse vices!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

It gets worse. Forget about worrying about little parts and accessories. Wait until you sell on Ebay or online, and have to ship regularly. You save every box and peanut and square of bubble pack because you might need it someday (in fact you will).

I have a wall of flattened cardboard boxes, stacks of cardboard for packing, bags of peanuts, plus several empty boxes I haven't gotten around to breaking down yet.

Another thing that started with me about 10 years ago is, if I find something I like, I get two, in case one breaks then I have a spare.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

'I am convinced that I have a condition I call Pack Ratitis. I've got so much stuff squirreled away I don't know what I've got.'

i have it severely....periodically i sell off stuff, then i find things i forgot i had. then soon i see things i want and dont have and.....it never ends. my lowpoint was when i lived in Idaho, and found a pre-64 winchester under the mattress in the guest room...... i could not remember having bought it or put it there!! was wondering if someone broke in and left it there!! need to join a 12 step program when you start having guns and gear 'black outs' i guess.
cable
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hobie, when you get tired of shepherding those old nasty 35-55 Full Patched bullets, let me know. I think I can find a place out of the weather for them.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

hfcable wrote: found a pre-64 winchester under the mattress in the guest room...... i could not remember having bought it or put it there!! was wondering if someone broke in and left it there!! need to join a 12 step program when you start having guns and gear 'black outs' i guess.
Oh my, a pack rat after my own heart :D About a 1/2 dozen years ago when I was getting ready to move up to my cabin where I now live I was going through stuff I had forgot I even had. Tryin' to downsize to a cabin instead of a house :shock: Well, imagine my shock when I ran into 3 pistols and 1 rifle that I 'thought' I had bought but never could find and just forgot about 'em.

I just take these little setbacks in stride and think of it as a improptu Christmas..... :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson