Hornady 348 good for Elk?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Hornady 348 good for Elk?

Post by TMair »

Again I am defering to the lerned on this forum!
I have read that this bullet does not have a strong enough jacket for good penitration on Elk like breaking shoulders, have any of you used this for hunting Elk, and how did it work for you?
I have considered using either a Hawk 250, or a Barnes 250, are the Jackets on the Hawks strong enough for Elk?
Thanks for your help
Terry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hornady 348 good for Elk?

Post by vancelw »

Well, Ive never shot an elk and don't know anything about the Hawk bullets, but I can't imagine that a .348 Winchester would not do a proper job on and elk. I hunted mule deer this year with my B71 using Barnes 220 gr bullets. Did the job very well. Dropped a buck at 250 yards like a sack of potatoes and went all the way through him. I would certainly not hesitate to shoot an elk with it. Get it in the right place and I think you would have more than enough penetration to hit some important machinery or plumbing.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If you cant kill a elk with a 200 hdy its cause you missed him, Ive got 30"+ penetration when it stays in them (bullet weighed 186 grs) usually its a thru&thru, dont shoot them in the shoulders your wasting good meat. Hdy works on moose to. If your hunting DG I would load the Kodiak 250 gr. bullet or a beartooth HCGC 250. I havent any experience with hawk or barnes. danny
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I can't speak of taking elk with 200gr Hornady but I will say the Hawk bullet does have a soft jacket and will expand rapidly and wide. It will also shed some weight. This is not to say the bullet won't kill something, but if you are comparing it to other bullets like the Hornday you will likely get less penetration from the Hawk. I also agree with Danny about lung shots. The elk is one animal where I like the behind-the-shoulder shot. It is easier to get an exit hole and more blood on the ground if tracking is necessary. Also, an elk has a lot of blood at high pressure. Take out the lungs and they can't keep going. If you just take one, even with broken bones they can go very far.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The Hornady bullet is plenty tough enough for elk. The correct Hawk bullet (visit their website) will perform well on elk as well. Hey, a well placed Remington Cor-Lokt 170 grain 30-30 Winchester bullet will knock down any elk walking the forest.

Use either bullet, get close, hit it right, and you will make meat.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Thanks guys, I would have thought the Hornady would be just fine, but was wondering if there was something I did not know, or had not herd about.
Thanks again
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Thanks guys, I would have thought the Hornady would be just fine, but was wondering if there was something I did not know, or had not herd about.
Thanks again
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

86er wrote: If you just take one, even with broken bones they can go very far.
I shot an Elk once with a Hornady 300 gr spire point from a 375 H&H Mag once, dang hit it in the steaks, it broke the pelvis, crossed through to the shoulder, tumbled down to the elbow, spun it around 180 degrees, but did not knock it down, dang thing turned around and tried to go up hill, took a second shot to put it down, when I recovered the bullet it had shed the jacket, and lost probably 2/3s of its mass, never thought to weigh it, yes Elk are tough, so you can well imagine my wanting to make sure about Hornady's 348 bullets!
Terry
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Big bull elk verses tough 200 grain Hornady .348 SP bullet leaving the muzzle at 2,500 fps through the boiler room - my money's on the bullet. :D

I have shot these bullets through tough "medium" that I won't identify - and they have always proven to be plenty tough.

To feed my M71, I've got a stash of Hornady SP Bullets, and a stash of Barnes X Bullets, and am now trying to work up a decent stash of Hawk Bullets. All three of which are great bullets designed exclusively for only one cartridge - the great 348 Winchester.

Have fun and make meat.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My hunting partner has had erratic results on deer with the Hornady bullet in .348.

But Idiot hit on something which the .348 bullets have in their advantage. A 30 caliber bullet, or a .35 caliber bullet etc has to be designed for a wide range of velocities, plus a wide range of game, so you get bullets which are designed to be "acceptable" around a myriad of cartridges and velocities...The .348 and .321 diameter bullets are designed for a specific cartridge. IF the engineers did their homework and didn't just copy their other standard bullet designs....and that's a big IF...they have the capability of being more tailored to the cartridge and it's velocity ranges.

IOW: A 165gr .30 cal bullet has to perform "acceptably" in every cartridge from the .300 Savage to the .300WSM. Not a good situation from a design standpoint. The .348 and .321 don't have that variable.

Ed