First Post: Cimarron 1892 in .45 LC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bapak2ja
Levergunner

First Post: Cimarron 1892 in .45 LC?

Post by bapak2ja »

First post on the forum. :D I have a chance to buy a safe queen Cimarron 1892 in .45 LC for $550. It is four years old with less than 200 rounds through it. Three questions:

1. Is this rifle worth the price?
2. Is the .45LC readily available?
3. Would I be wiser to wait for a good deal on .44 magnum or .357?

Thanks for you input.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Re: First Post: Cimarron 1892 in .45 LC?

Post by Nate C. »

1. Buy it!
2. More or less!
3. Might as well buy it now. Odds are you will end up with one of each if you hang around here very long.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

buy it...thats a steal....of a bargin
new they are around 900+
45 LC is easy to find....through the internet....Bass pro...and better gun shops...etc
reload...its much cheaper
you are not going to find a better deal.....so dont wait...
and when you buy that you will get this decease call leveritis
and want the 44 & 357 too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

What they said :D :D :D

A warm welcome to you as well, you will enjoy it here :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

bapak2ja@mac.com wrote:First post on the forum. :D I have a chance to buy a safe queen Cimarron 1892 in .45 LC for $550. It is four years old with less than 200 rounds through it. Three questions:

1. Is this rifle worth the price?
2. Is the .45LC readily available?
3. Would I be wiser to wait for a good deal on .44 magnum or .357?

Thanks for you input.

I gave around $ 425 for my .45 LC & .357 Mag Rossi M92 clones . I love them .

Ammo availability , have no idea , I have never bought any factory .45 LC and have not bought .357 Mag ammo in 20 - 30 years . I reload with home cast bullets .

.44 Mag or .357 Mag ? Or .45 LC ? Depends onwhat you want to do with the rifle .

God bless
Wyr
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

357 is a lot cheaper and more available it you don't reload - I would say think of your purpose. I got the 45 Colt because that particular rifle was a great example. Last test put 2 rounds 5/8" apart at 50 yds but mine needs bullets that are on the large side.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's a very good price, no doubt about it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

If you don't want it.....I'll buy it.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Good price but make sure the magazine tube is tight. Cimarron has had problems with the quality of their 92s. Make sure you check it out fully.
"That'll Be The Day"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

rangerider7 wrote:Good price but make sure the magazine tube is tight. Cimarron has had problems with the quality of their 92s. Make sure you check it out fully.
Yep, and make sure to check it for feeding issues. Cycle it fast and cycle slowly and make sure the ammo feeds without issues.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nate C. wrote:1. Buy it!
2. More or less!
3. Might as well buy it now. Odds are you will end up with one of each if you hang around here very long.
+1 on all three of those...

RIHMFIRE wrote:buy it...thats a steal....of a bargin
new they are around 900+
Yep.

Even if the gun was found to have some broken part or something an unethical seller 'hid', there's not much couldn't be fixed cheaply enough to make that STILL a good deal.

.45 LC is probably the single BEST caliber for a levergun, heavy cast/subsonic bullets can be used cheaply and quietly and a companion revolver in .45 LC can be 'loaded for bear' or plinking. .44 Mag and .357 Mag are good too, though. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Price is reasonably low. However, Cimarron is only an importer. IIRC, They imported from 2 manufacturers, Armi San Marco and Armi Sport/Chiappi. Not sure exactly when they switched... but maybe Nate Kiowa Jones will chime in. Both have their issues, same as Rossi. If you're buying FTF shoot it. That'll tell you far, far more than anything else.

IMO, 45Colt is more versatile than 44Mag. And in a modern '92 can approach the 44s ballistics, for the reloader. Which you NEED to do to get the most outta the 44.

It also has one other important advanntage, in that like other leverguns the '92 is COL and bullet shape sensitive... but, unlike the .357 & .44 magnum versions it doesn'ty have to attempt to feed the much shorter "Special" versions.

Image and Welcome to THE Forum! And don't fergit to post pictures of yer new gun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

Thanks for all the advice!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nothing to add over what's already been said except another "welcome to the fire!" :D
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

Bummer. It sold before I could get back to the owner. :cry:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

On gun deals you snooze you lose. Keep looking and you'll find something out there. Welcome to the forum.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This is the way it should work:

A: You see a gun you want.
B: You buy said gun.
C: You post with pics bragging about your new gun.
D: We all ooh and ah over it and congratulate you on your new acquisition, then we tell you we want a range report also with pics.

That's how it should work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Never owned a Chiappa though I have a Chiappa Mares Leg Takedown in .44 Mag on order.
For that kind of money (over $1500) there shouldn't be any issues & it should look good enough to kiss, hug & become "intimate" :wink: with.
Will jury rig a removable/folding prosthetic stock extender that will fit on the useless stump of a Mare's Leg stock should I desire to fire the gun.
Like the idea of a rifle where you can stash both halves + my stock extender INCONSPICUOUSLY in a business sized briefcase or hikers/fishing pack & have a rifle "around" during the hunting off-season without the whole world having to know about it & listening to their stupid questions & comments (Why yah gotta gun for?").
I also own Rossi 92 16" carbines in .357 Mag & 44 Mag as well as a Rossi 92 20" .454 Casull as well as a Ruger 96/44 & a Browning BLR Takedown in .308 Win.
Love those lever guns.......each & every one.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

If you should chance to be seen in the US by the wrong people with a stock extender in place to render it a shoulder-fired weapon, you may face severe penalties of the incarceration & financial variety.

Besides the which, if ATF starts to see enough of this, they'll kill off the whole non-Class III mare's leg "pistol" concept for the rest of us.

Denis
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

DPris wrote:If you should chance to be seen in the US by the wrong people with a stock extender in place to render it a shoulder-fired weapon, you may face severe penalties of the incarceration & financial variety.

Besides the which, if ATF starts to see enough of this, they'll kill off the whole non-Class III mare's leg "pistol" concept for the rest of us.

Denis
The Mare's Leg "extender" hasn't happened yet & won't.
Philadelphia lawyer I ain't so I just wanted to throw that idea "out there" to see what kind of feedback ensued.
I'm surprised BATFE hasn't already nixed the "non NFA3 pistol" concept.
Thought A/G Holder & ilk would be all over that one like a kitty cat in a dog kennel by now.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

I got distracted and neglected this forum far two long. I did not get the Cimarron. As indicated in an earlier post, I experienced the "snooze and lose" syndrome.

I purchased an 1894C Marlin in .357mag. I have not had a chance to take out for deer but I have had a good time learning to shoot at local ranges.

I had such a good time with it I started looking for a marlin 39A Mountie to go with it. Found what I thought was a great buy from a guy in Indianapolis. Since I was still uncertain about it, I asked folks on marlinowners.com for advice on the model and price. While I was online, another marlinowner.com member posted the link to the one I ask considering. By the end of the day, a marlinowner.com member had it locked up. No class over there.

Having learned my lesson, I kept searching for another Mountie; but all offered on the internet were almost twice the price of the one that got away. I am stubborn old cuss at times, so I just decided I was not going to spend that much for something I could have had for half that price. Still, I wanted a .22 that would handle all sizes of .22 (except the magnums) like the Mountie.

Further research led me to the Winchester 9422. Great reviews were consistent online. The best recommendations pointed to getting one pre-1976, without the stock checkering. Consistent opinion was that the changes made inside the receiver to accommodate the cross bolt safety weakened the design. So I continued to watch the various gun fora until I found a nice 9422 near South Bend, Indiana. I did not ask questions about it on other fora this time.

Since I was in Mindanao when I found it, I waited until I was only a week away from returning to Hoosier land to contact the seller. We set it up so my wife and I stopped by the seller's place on the drive from ORD to FWA. Seller was a great guy. Rifle was exactly as described. Clean, well maintained, 98% bluing, no significant scratches on the wood. Beautiful rifle! It was a done deal!

The following morning, last Wednesday, my brother, a military lifer who could shoot the eyes out of a chipmunk from 50 yds, and I took it to the range to check it out. I learned several things.

First, age has caught up with my brother. For the first time in our lives I actually out shot him!

Second, the 9422 is a sweet and accurate rifle! It sot where it was pointed—even with the cheap Remington Golden bulk ammo. The action was smooth beyond belief! I was used to the factory action on my Marlin 1894C. I often wondered what folks meant when they said an action was "gritty," but I had nothing with which to compare my Marlin. So I thought it was fine. Now, I know better.

Third, I need to get that Marlin action smoothed out. Now that I have used the 9422, that Marlin just won't cut it anymore! Time to hit the gunsmith books and the internet sites to discover what needs to be done to slick up the action.

Fourth, even a slick 9422 needs a firm hand on the lever when loading the next round. I had three FTEs. Each was easily removed, no problem; but I was concerned about why it happened. Brother advised me to "be assertive" with the lever action. Once I concentrated on a firm hand on the lever, it worked perfectly. Great rifle!

Here are some photo of the new, to me, 9422.
DSC00307_zpscbc5cd13.jpg
IMG_20140829_125608.jpg
IMG_20140829_125626.jpg
IMG_20140829_125646.jpg
IMG_20140829_125940.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Outstanding!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of good info on her and MarlinOwners about slicking up leverguns.

Just go slow - no rush, and material filed off is hard to put back on.

Don't miss the articles here - off the 'Main Page - http://leverguns.com/' (which we often bypass to go straight to the forum):
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bapak2ja,

Glad you got yourself a good .22 rifle.

A little FYI:
The 9422's were NEVER modified for a cross bolt safety, or any safety of any kind. They retained the original half cock safety action from introduction till they were discontinued in 2005. Where this CB safety misinformation came from I have no idea.

The checkering is a love it or not thing, it didn't affect the quality of the rifle. But I don't like it either.

The Win 9422 can develop ejection problems if the bolt gets dirty and crudded up around the ejector and extractors. The extractors hold the case till the ejector boots it out. If they get dirty enough they can't grip the rim, you'll have a bit of trouble. I disassemble mine every time I'm finished shooting it. I make sure the bolt and the inside of the action is clean.

Marlin 39s were modified for the CB safety, but NOT the Win 9422.

As for getting your Marlin 357 smoothed up to match the 9422, forget it. You're comparing apples to bananas. The Marlin will smooth itself out in due time. Taking it apart and cleaning and removing any burrs you find is really all it needs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Welcome back & you have a fine looking Winchester!!

ollogger
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome back, you made a good choice, I've had three 9422s two in .22 WRM and one .22 LR which I still have, I used to have a Mountie but never really got on with it, I found the 9422 to be a better rifle all round, I can cycle mine slow, fast or upside down and it works fine, it is early 70s production and I picked it up real cheap due to its neglected condition.
As Joe said, keep 'em clean. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

9422, excellent choice sir. The bullet lube gets everywhere and fouls the extractor. Also lube and powder residue can make the chamber sticky.
The bolt assembly comes put easy and a good wash with WD40 on a clean rag does wonders.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

J Miller wrote:bapak2ja,

Glad you got yourself a good .22 rifle.

A little FYI:
The 9422's were NEVER modified for a cross bolt safety, or any safety of any kind. They retained the original half cock safety action from introduction till they were discontinued in 2005. Where this CB safety misinformation came from I have no idea.

Just my erroneous assumption. Thanks for the clarification!

The checkering is a love it or not thing, it didn't affect the quality of the rifle. But I don't like it either.

The Win 9422 can develop ejection problems if the bolt gets dirty and crudded up around the ejector and extractors. The extractors hold the case till the ejector boots it out. If they get dirty enough they can't grip the rim, you'll have a bit of trouble. I disassemble mine every time I'm finished shooting it. I make sure the bolt and the inside of the action is clean.

Again, thanks. I will pay attention to this in future.

Marlin 39s were modified for the CB safety, but NOT the Win 9422.

As for getting your Marlin 357 smoothed up to match the 9422, forget it. You're comparing apples to bananas. The Marlin will smooth itself out in due time. Taking it apart and cleaning and removing any burrs you find is really all it needs.

Appreciate the input!

Joe
bapak2ja
Levergunner

Post by bapak2ja »

Nath wrote:9422, excellent choice sir. The bullet lube gets everywhere and fouls the extractor. Also lube and powder residue can make the chamber sticky.
The bolt assembly comes put easy and a good wash with WD40 on a clean rag does wonders.

N.
Good to know!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote:Welcome back & you have a fine looking Winchester!!
ollogger
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!