Jeep Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Jeep Gun

Post by tomtex »

What would want in a Jeep Gun, that you kept in your Wrangler Jeep ,most of the time?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Jeep Gun

Post by Mescalero »

A Marlin lever, with a scout scope, in .25 Bullberry.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have most times either an 18" barreled H&R 12 gage single shot or my Marlin 94P / .44 mag trapper style carbine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I don't keep it in the Jeep because I work on an Airforce base, but when I head for the hills my 16" Rossi 44Mag levergun goes with me.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Something that would automatically zap the thieves that get into Jeeps...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Springfield 1911A1 locked in the console, and a Sig 238 locked in the glove --- although mine is a hardtop, i still don't keep a rifle in there, --- but if i was just heading to the hills, -- i'd take my "lightweight" Trapper along, (Winchester 1894 .45 Trapper with Ram Line furniture ) -- its ugly enough that it doesn't need a case
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ahh, one I am completely qualified to answer. I carried an AR-7 for years. Mine was one of the good ones, with respect to both feeding and accuracy. Some weren't so. Still, I eventually decided something with a bit more punch would be nice. So I started trying to figure it out.

Well, there in my safe was the answer, in the raw. My very first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 in .410. Hmm, thought I. With but a couple of changes, here would be "THE PERFECT JEEP GUN". So, I commenced to make "THE PERFECT JEEP GUN".

Here's what I did. I cut the barrel back to 18.25 inches (actually my smith did it). I picked up a short LOP synthetic butt stock. I modified the stock bolt by extending it and making it into sort of a butterfly bolt. The butt stock cap screws were removed, and Velcro was applied to both the buttstock and cap. So, now I have a shotgun that breaks down into three pieces. The longest part is about 20". It assembles in about thirty seconds.

With a variety of shot shells, I can handle everything from bunnies to bears (well very small bears :D ). Here's a couple of photos. The show it dissasembled and assembled alongside the AR-7 for comparison.

It now resides in a short soft case that I modified by adding velcro to hold the parts in place.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jeep gun? I've got three of 'em (jeeps) and every one has more holes than a sieve--you know, not holes but about a million ways to get into them pretty fast (for thieves), so..............my guns ride in a section of the Jeep that allows me instant access--always a wheelgun of some sort.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I love that question as my biggest hobby is ATV rideing in the boonies. Truth is, in a jeep or on my quad, we can carry any weapon we own with ease. I have a lot of guns and do a lot of rideing and exploring. We live probley in one of the best areas of the country to explore, shoot and many trails here in sw utah. Here we have both mountains and wide open high desert so depending on where I am going I often pack different type guns. So the type area you are in is going to determine whats best for you that day, especialy, if you have a lot of guns to choose from.
I have picked up several guns since last year that I think I will start packing more this year. One is a rossi puma 92 in ,357. The other I just bought and havent even fired yet, one of those new .44 special 5 1/2" blackhawk ruger flat tops that are like the lipseys.
I have a lot of smiths and several colt saa`s in .44 special and dont want to scratch them up, so this ruger should fill the bill. Dont have a picture of it yet so here is the catalog picture.
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlack ... /5233.html
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

870 Rem 12 gauge. 18" barrell, full length magazine. If it gets stolen, you ain't out a lot of $'s.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Hobie wrote:Something that would automatically zap the thieves that get into Jeeps...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqr3_frh3Q

I'm sure there's a Jeep version.....
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I had my Land Cruiser I had two military rifle racks mounted in it. One carried my 94 Win Trapper 30-30 and the other my 94AE Trapper in .45 Colt. Fit perfect.

Never, never, never, never left them in the vehicle unattended. Nuhuh.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Sixgun wrote:Jeep gun? I've got three of 'em (jeeps) and every one has more holes than a sieve--you know, not holes but about a million ways to get into them pretty fast (for thieves), so..............my guns ride in a section of the Jeep that allows me instant access--always a wheelgun of some sort.----------Sixgun
There must be a device on the market to secure a lever gun or shotgun in a jeep, what do the police use to secure a shotgun in the front cab ?
Last edited by tomtex on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

How would you protect the jeep gun from rust, buy stainless steel or some other coating?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I think I'd go with a stainless Mini-14 with collapable stock with sights. It would stand up to moisture, bumps and bangs, and no optics to potentially get whacked out of whack. A close second choice would be a Stainless Marlin 357 Mag. It'll hold quite a few rounds and still has the protection of stainless and with durable sights. A 16" barrel wouldn't hurt it none either.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

slow2run wrote:How would you protect the jeep gun from rust, buy stainless steel or some other coating?
Er um, well it's like this .... you clean them and wipe them down once in a while. That's how :)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I never leave a gun in my truck...I always bring them back inside....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jeepnik wrote:Ahh, one I am completely qualified to answer. I carried an AR-7 for years. Mine was one of the good ones, with respect to both feeding and accuracy. Some weren't so. Still, I eventually decided something with a bit more punch would be nice. So I started trying to figure it out.

Well, there in my safe was the answer, in the raw. My very first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 in .410. Hmm, thought I. With but a couple of changes, here would be "THE PERFECT JEEP GUN". So, I commenced to make "THE PERFECT JEEP GUN".

Here's what I did. I cut the barrel back to 18.25 inches (actually my smith did it). I picked up a short LOP synthetic butt stock. I modified the stock bolt by extending it and making it into sort of a butterfly bolt. The butt stock cap screws were removed, and Velcro was applied to both the buttstock and cap. So, now I have a shotgun that breaks down into three pieces. The longest part is about 20". It assembles in about thirty seconds.

With a variety of shot shells, I can handle everything from bunnies to bears (well very small bears :D ). Here's a couple of photos. The show it dissasembled and assembled alongside the AR-7 for comparison.

It now resides in a short soft case that I modified by adding velcro to hold the parts in place.

I've got one of those, but have no intention on doing that to it. Perfect shotgun for it though.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 16" Rossi Trapper .44. Also, one of the few uses that *seems* "right" for the new Ranch Hand--whether it actually is or not :) I also would never "leave" in the Jeep, but we know what you mean--I think.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

1894cfan wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Ahh, one I am completely qualified to answer. I carried an AR-7 for years. Mine was one of the good ones, with respect to both feeding and accuracy. Some weren't so. Still, I eventually decided something with a bit more punch would be nice. So I started trying to figure it out.

I've got one of those, but have no intention on doing that to it. Perfect shotgun for it though.
The only irreversable thing was cutting the barrel. Those I can get fairly cheap. So, there's no permanent "changes".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wouldn't be comfortable in most circumstances leaving a gun in a vehicle, but if I did, I'd use a 'long gun' (if all I wanted handy was a handgun, I'd just keep it on my person, where it was safer from mischief and even more 'accesable').

I'd want that long gun to:
  • a) use detachable magazines (so it could be loaded/unloaded instantly)
    b) be inexpensive enough to replace if stolen or damaged
    c) be kind on the ears (assuming I didn't keep hearing protectors with it)
    d) be capable of self-defense use (least likely, but most important, use of ANY gun)
    e) be stainless/synthetic or military-parkerized/greased-hardwood
    f) decent and mil-spec (very durable) metallic sights - aperture type ideally
That rules out most leverguns (sadly), but rules IN such guns as the Ruger Mini-14, SKS, semiauto clones of the AK-47, etc.

Probably the best of the bunch is the lowly SKS, even though it loads with stripper-clip vs. detachable magazine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

I only have $40 in this MN. Used to wear a Bushnell Phantom 2x pistol scope when it rode in my Jeep.

Used to have a CA AR-7 that I kept in my old F-150 back in the 80s.

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Like previously stated, a JEEP is not the most SECURE vehicle around. Also, you didnt state what the purpose of the firearm would be.

Due to the Security Issue, I would limit my choices to my Springfield MILSPEC 1911.

If it were going to be in a woods environment and hunting purposes, a short barreled shotgun would be hard to beat.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Combat Diver wrote:I only have $40 in this MN. Used to wear a Bushnell Phantom 2x pistol scope when it rode in my Jeep.

Used to have a CA AR-7 that I kept in my old F-150 back in the 80s.

CD
I agree, a Chopped & channeled Mosin for a Truck Gun is hard to beat and "easy" to lose... though generally not desirable enough to steal.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I think this remington pump 760 in 30-06 fills the bill. It was dads. He shot his last buck with it at about 86 years old. I inherited it and left it just sit in the back of my safe for about 7 years. I benched it last year and was nicely surprised. Very accurate, light, fast handeling, box mag, whats not to like? I just tried to post a picture of it but it must be too big, but you all know what they look like anyway.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

These two ride around in my YJ, a stainless Super and 44mag Trapper hard chromed w/ Mahovsky's Metalife.

Of course a 1911 of some sort rides shotgun. :D

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I used to carry an Enfield .303 carbine but now as, I worry about people (LE) saying that a rifle is not legal loaded in the vehicle, I carry this pistol as I am authorized to carry a pistol everywhere I go. As you can see it shot well from the 50 yard line.
It is not the critic who counts
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

slow2run wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Jeep gun? I've got three of 'em (jeeps) and every one has more holes than a sieve--you know, not holes but about a million ways to get into them pretty fast (for thieves), so..............my guns ride in a section of the Jeep that allows me instant access--always a wheelgun of some sort.----------Sixgun
There must be a device on the market to secure a lever gun or shotgun in a jeep, what do the police use to secure a shotgun in the front cab ?
They have an electric lock system OR they lock them in a rack system in the trunk. What does the real security for the cops is that the vehicle is a POLICE vehicle. That makes most people pause long enough for the opportunity to pass. Most, not ALL. Their guns are STILL stolen from police vehicles.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

meanc wrote:These two ride around in my YJ, a stainless Super and 44mag Trapper hard chromed w/ Mahovsky's Metalife.

Of course a 1911 of some sort rides shotgun. :D

Must ........................ resist .................................... temptation ! :lol: What a pair of beauties , love the hard chrome treatment
----- Doug
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Had that done after I saw Winchester's version of it. I really like it myself.

For locking them in the Jeep, for the Wrangler anyway, there is a cargo lock top system that can be installed behind the back seat. The top latches inside the compartment so it can't be opened from the cab. So the only access is by opening the rear door.

The cargo area only has about 35" of width in my 94 YJ so the Trapper rides inside its case perfectly. My Mossy 500 Defender w/ Knox Recoil stock fit perfectly as well.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, no fancy locking compartments in my old CJ-8. So, I don't leave the gun in the Jeep unless I'm out "Jeepin". And then, if I leave the Jeep for a bit of a stroll, it either comes with me, or I run a cable lock thru the receiver (they can't do much with the barrel and stock) and hook it to the roll bar. I guess I could run into a thief with the right tools to cut the cable, but then, wasn't there someone who recently had his safe, in his garage, cut open with his own tools?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

My Rossi R357S was my truck gun for several years while on Maui, great for the numerous wild goats I came across while fishing deserted shorelines off 4x4 trails, kept behind the seat of my Nissan 4x4 truck.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Streetstar,

Love the hardchromed look - what does it run to have that done?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Old Savage wrote:Streetstar,

Love the hardchromed look - what does it run to have that done?
Old Savage,

I sent it to Mahovsky's Metalife. Total cost was around $175 including shipping to and from. That was a few years ago so prices may have risen a bit.

Sad to say they no longer do firearms from California.

They used to, as I had two Beretta 92 pistols done in Metalife in 1993 when I was still living in Irvine.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

well, i'm surprised at you fellas.

maybe one of these?
Dillon-Aero-M134D-Gatling.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk

anybody remember a tv show called rat patrol?
always thought that jeep mounted browning was cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"