What is everyones opinion on the Magnum Research BFR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shodan
Levergunner

What is everyones opinion on the Magnum Research BFR

Post by Shodan »

I am looking around at some magnum revolvers in hopes to be picking one up here soon, and wanted to know what everyone though about the Magnum Research BFR revolver.... I am considering the .454 casull and .475 Linebaugh
Hobie

Re: What is everyones opinion on the Magnum Research BFR

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG used to have one. He should speak up shortly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had one in 45-70. I wish I had never traded it off. IMO, it's put together nearly as well as a Freedom Arms. I'd really like to get another.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The examples i have handled are as slick as a FA (can't speak for the internals or how they shoot though) -- I always thought the huge cylinder to handle the 45/70 looked a bit funny to me, but the workmanship is top notch

My excitement for one would depend on how far out of reach a FA was though. If they were within a 3 or 400 bucks difference, i might keep saving my lunchmoney for the FA. If they were quite a bit cheaper, i'd be all over one in .45 or possibly .44Mag
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FA's run $1700, up; BFR's $900 + , and IMHO the quality between the two has about the same ration, too - although the BFR's is certainly not shoddy by any means.

I seem to disremember that Ruger's Pine Tree Castings make the frames for BFR, but could easily be wrong.

I don't care for the looks of the long-cylindered BFR's, but DO like the shorter ones - which I believe the .454's are.
IMO, the short cylindered model is better handling and easier to find a holster for.
I'm not sure if the BFR Linebaugh chamberings use a short or long cylinder.

Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

To my understanding, both the .454 and .475 use the "short" cylinder in the BFR, but only opposed to the "long" cylinder; which is housing rounds like the .45-70.

Does anyone know anymore about the Magnum research's performance center revolvers? first hand? I read all the stats that the company states on their website about the tolerances and other things. the performance lvl revolvers run about $400 more, but are still about 700 to a $1000 less than the FA revolvers.

and what do you all think about the chamberings of .454 casull and .475 linebaugh? I have shot the casull, and am working on finding someone with the linebaugh to set up a shoot. But i would be using the revolver for both hunting and for carry in the field. I am out in the backwoods a lot, and far from other people in grizzly areas. I like the larger diameter of the .475.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I've fired the 45-70 version; surprisingly "manageable", I can see why they have the moniker "BFR" and it doesn't stand for "Biggest, Finest Revolver" either.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

The 454 is upper limit that i can hit anything with. If i lived in Alaska or Africa , i'd get a 44 magnum, load it with 300 grain hardcast and hope for the best, cause i shoot it better than a 454. Since i don't live in either place, the .357 magnum with Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast is all i'll ever need for defence against the big stuff. i might even choose it over the 44 magnum, only cause i can hit with it out to 50 yards.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

damienph wrote:I've fired the 45-70 version; surprisingly "manageable", I can see why they have the moniker "BFR" and it doesn't stand for "Biggest, Finest Revolver" either.
I've fired some of Grizz's 525gr 45-70s that clocked about 1350? and they were not that bad. I fired a couple of Garrett's 420 +P rounds, and they stung a bit, but were manageable. My normal 45-70 fodder is 405s with 42.5 H4198....that's 1700 in the cowboy, 1600 in the guide gun and about 1450 in the 10" BFR, and they are not painful at all....just about plinkers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you do buy a used example, make certain it has a JT prefix in the serial number. They are very nice revolvers. 1886.
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

tman wrote:The 454 is upper limit that i can hit anything with. If i lived in Alaska or Africa , i'd get a 44 magnum, load it with 300 grain hardcast and hope for the best, cause i shoot it better than a 454. Since i don't live in either place, the .357 magnum with Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast is all i'll ever need for defence against the big stuff. i might even choose it over the 44 magnum, only cause i can hit with it out to 50 yards.
where would you classify the .475 linebaugh at? any experience with that caliber?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Sorry, never shot one :oops:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Its all about your dollar situation.
Trying to save a buck and dont plan on selling it(BFR)
Can afford it and want an investment that will retain its dollar(Freedom Arms)
Either way, like the 7" .475
Good luck!
raven5
Levergunner

Post by raven5 »

I bought a .475 BFR a little over a year ago. All I can say is it's really nice. It's put together better than my Blackhawk Hunters. It's not quite Freedom Arms level, but really, what is.

The bark isn't that bad. Haven't shot any full-house loads, only the Hornady factory ones, but to be honest, it didn't feel any 'worse' than shooting my 5.5" Redhawk with heavy .45 Colt loads. Recoil was very manageable. My girlfriend shot a revolver the first time when she fired it and she didn't have any problems.

I haven't really done any serious accuracy testing with it, but I can hit offhand with it pretty easy.

I picked up mine NIB for $600 so I got a screaming deal.

I'd still like to own a FA, but have to save my lunch money for that one.
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

A buddy of mine has one in 45-70, which I have fired a bit. I found it much more pleasant to shoot than the 454. As far a big bears go, make mine a BFRifle! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have 2 BFR's, both 45-70. They're my favorite of the guns I own. The only problem I have is using the 10-inch for fast-draw. Fanning a .45-70 is a bit of a challenge as well. :D

Seriously, the GF's and CF's are made by Pine Tree. In the early years, Ruger made some of the internals as well. Not sure about now, although I know many Ruger parts will fit. When MRI sold to Kahr arms, I was disappointed that the BFR division wasn't sold to Ruger. What a good fit that would have been.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

damienph wrote:I can see why they have the moniker "BFR" and it doesn't stand for "Biggest, Finest Revolver" either.

My sentiments EXACTLY :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Shodan
Levergunner

Post by Shodan »

raven5 wrote:I bought a .475 BFR a little over a year ago. All I can say is it's really nice. It's put together better than my Blackhawk Hunters. It's not quite Freedom Arms level, but really, what is.

The bark isn't that bad. Haven't shot any full-house loads, only the Hornady factory ones, but to be honest, it didn't feel any 'worse' than shooting my 5.5" Redhawk with heavy .45 Colt loads. Recoil was very manageable. My girlfriend shot a revolver the first time when she fired it and she didn't have any problems.

I haven't really done any serious accuracy testing with it, but I can hit offhand with it pretty easy.

I picked up mine NIB for $600 so I got a screaming deal.

I'd still like to own a FA, but have to save my lunch money for that one.
Thanks for the info. I am starting to like the option of going with the BFR in .475 linebaugh... the FA is definitely a top dog contender, but i am sure i will be purchasing more big bore revolvers in the future. And good job on the deal! I am hopin to find a real screamin deal myself, so I am willing to wait a little until it comes along.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've long wondered what a .45-70 revolver carbine would be like to fire. The cylinder gap is near, but so is the flash hole in a flintlock.
raven5
Levergunner

Post by raven5 »

The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

raven5 wrote:Here ya go. Good timing.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=113307
:o Wow -- i'll say ! pretty good price too
----- Doug
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

My best friend has had one for years in 454 Casull with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Extremely well made and accurate firearm. I've watched him hit the bullseye off a bench at 100 yards more than once! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

There are some differences between the BFR and FA83 in 454. Despite being a 'short' cylinder, the BFR's cylinder in 454 is still longer than that of a FA83. The rifling twist is also faster in the BFR and the revolver weighs approx 0.5lb more, making the BFR somewhat more suitable for heavyweight handloads. However the standard grip design of the FA83 is probably more comfortable.

I have FA83 in 454, really like it and its a keeper, but if you opt for a custom shop BFR I think you can order a Bisley style frame and have quite a decent revolver which will still be cheaper than a FA83.

Sadly we arent allowed anything larger than 45 cal here, otherwise I'd probably order a BFR in 475 Linebaugh with a spare cylinder in 480 Ruger. I think the cylinder length of a FA83 in 475 Linebaugh might limit the cast bullet designs you can use. Personally I cant warm to the BFR's with the really large cylinders.