30 30 die question..... reload question....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

30 30 die question..... reload question....

Post by antilley »

Now that i have the .357 / .38 sorta figured out I thought i would move on to 30 30 loads. (pretty excited about 500 rounds to date)

I hope to be able to shoot some type of cast (assuming it is cheaper) ..... do you need some type of belling device to seat a cast bullet? or will the 2 die sets work? I read a thread on here that was discussing using Unique in a cast load at / around 1400 fps (I didn't see a final thought) .... thoughts on using Unique?... or should i look to get a different powder? if anyone has a reasonable cast 30 30 recipe with cast bullets .... please share.

Thanks -

dan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 30 30 die question..... reload question....

Post by J Miller »

Dan,

I'm new to cast bullets in the 30-30 too. I'm not sure they'd be less expensive than jacketed unless you cast your own.

I was told that for the best results in seating the cast bullet to get a Lyman "M" expander die. This die works absolutely wonderful at putting a nice little self just at the case mouth for starting the bullet. It also sized the case neck properly for the larger lead bullets.

I "think", please let someone else confirm this, the Unique load you are thinking of is 10 grs. I have some loaded, but they are burried away and I can't readily get to them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there antilley -- I'm a pretty big fan of Unique in 30-30's, 32-40's, and 38-55's and a bunch of other calibers as well. Ten grains or there abouts seems to work well with bullets ranging from 170 grains to 250 grains in these various calibers. I like to use Laser-Cast (Oregon Trail Bullet Co.) TrueShot gas checked 170 grain bullets over 10 grains of Unique in the 30-30 for a great general purpose target round, near and far. I also think you would be very happy with a set of RCBS Cowboy 30-30 dies when it come to loading cast bullets. My friend Whit Spurzon gets over here now and then for some load testing and has taken some videos of the process you might enjoy. Here is a link to some of them showing some Unique loads. http://www.youtube.com/user/WhitSpurzon ... DtB-4YXTi4 Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A good idea would be to get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Lotsa good info on lead bullets; making, loading, shooting...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

mikld wrote:A good idea would be to get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Lotsa good info on lead bullets; making, loading, shooting...
+1, should be your first purchase!

For Cast plinking loads, Joe is correct, plain based Pb boolits up to about 1400 fps sized about .002" bigger than groove diameter, or .309" in my Winchesters... some might like them at .310", but I don't see the need. The Lyman "M" die for expanding the neck works for that purpose. You don't "need" to run the case all the way into it... just enough to get the base of the bullet started without distorting it.

However, since I'm not a fan of reduced loads in my .30-30s, I make sure I use a gas-checked bullet of sufficient hardness to run them at factory speed. For that, I still size mine at .309" and use a lube more "wax" like in consistency. I haven't had any leading problems even when I use the Lyman Alox lube, but I might be pushing it's capabilities a little.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Another recommendation for the Lyman M die.
5744 is my powder of choice for smokeless rifle cast bullet loads.
Centaur 1
Levergunner

Post by Centaur 1 »

I load a lot of cast bullets in several calibers. I use the Lee universal case expanding die because it works for all calibers. I went as far to buy the cheap Lee c-press for $27 just for case expanding.
Marlin 336SS in .30-30win.
Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm
Millett Angle-Loc Detachable Rings
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 on 5744 works for PB or GC and jacket bullets you can load it down or hot. 22 grs under a 173 gr GC Beartooth bullet its listed as a max load. danny
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got the "M" die to expand necks and flare the mouth, and found it ruined lots of cases for me. If your press or case isn't lined up just right, the die mashes the case mouth. I went and bought the Lee, and it works well on the mouth, because it is loose in the die and seats itself. And by adjusting the depth, you can make more or less flare as you like.

But the Lee doesn't widen the neck all the way down - it doesn't go in that far. So after flaring the mouth, I run the "M" die to expand the neck all the way through. It doesn't hurt the mouth then because there's plenty of flare.

I will be giving up cast bullets in 30-30 once my supply is depleted, I've found the copper-coated lead is more accurate for me. They're just a little easier to deal with all around, and they are .308 size.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The lyman "M" die 30/cal can be used for all 30 cal. I reload for 30-30, 30 Remington, .308 & 30-06. I use the same die for all. You can also use it for jacketed bullets. Just do not adjust as much as for lead. This prevents from scraping copper on a tight case neck.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I never used the M die with my .30 WCF loads but I'm really careful in seating bullets and I chamfer my case mouths. The M die does make it much easier to properly seat a cast bullet as seen in other calibers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

El Chivo wrote:I got the "M" die to expand necks and flare the mouth, and found it ruined lots of cases for me. If your press or case isn't lined up just right, the die mashes the case mouth. I went and bought the Lee, and it works well on the mouth, because it is loose in the die and seats itself. And by adjusting the depth, you can make more or less flare as you like.

But the Lee doesn't widen the neck all the way down - it doesn't go in that far. So after flaring the mouth, I run the "M" die to expand the neck all the way through. It doesn't hurt the mouth then because there's plenty of flare.
I'm a fan of the "M" die over the Lee Universal, but El Chivo is right about them messing up case necks. Here's what you do: take your grinder and reshape the "M" nose from wadcutter to round-spitzer and it'll be much more user friendly.

Why doesn't Lyman make them this way to begin with? Well obviously the guy that designed it never bothered to use it. Engineer's disease. Widespread, irritating, but seldom fatal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I must have done something wrong when I used my "M" die. I didn't munch nary a case. Maybe I should try again .....

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

I use the Lee Universal case expanding die. Works like a charm on cast lead loads.
I actually had to use it tonight on some tight fitting nickle .300 Win mag cases.
Works good with all calibers. Here are the .300 rounds that I used it on tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I use the M die with great success. I also use the Lee factory crimp die, but not sure it's necessary, the crimp area in most seater dies should be fine.
I use Trail Boss powder for lead loads in .30-30, very pleased with that. Loading density is well over 50% for loads around 1,000 fps.
I use Magnus 100 and 150 grain flat points and the 110 grain LRN in my single shot. The 100 grain flat point is super accurate in my Handi rifle, and the 150 grain flat point shoots best in the Winchester.