Questions re Marlin 1894C

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hap35
Levergunner

Questions re Marlin 1894C

Post by Hap35 »

Hello

This is a GREAT forum and this is my first post. I've been reading here for a while in anticipation of getting a lever gun, and really appreciate the expertise and information on display here every day. I have learned a lot and still have a lot to learn, but the posts here helped me to figure out which lever gun I wanted to get. And, earlier today I took delivery of my first lever gun, a used 1980 Marlin 1894C in .357.

For the experts on here, I have a couple of questions. The gun looks new, bore is clean as a whistle, and action is smooth as butter. It appears to have had very little use over the years. Here are my questions:

1. Given the age of the gun (31 years) and condition (looks new), would you have it examined by a gunsmith before firing it?

2. I loaded the gun with Snap Caps safe training rounds, and it cycles fine. However, loading is stiff and it's a bit difficult to load without an occasional "pinch" of the end of my thumb used to push the round into the gun. Any tricks here to make loading easier that anyone can recommend? The gun takes 9 rounds, and they seem to get progressively harder to load - guess that is spring compression in the tube, more rounds/compression means stiffer spring, right?

3. I have a Ruger GP100 that shoots .357 and .38 special and wanted to use the same ammo in both guns. Is there any problem in using hollowpoint rounds in the Marlin? The tip of a hollowpoint is relatively flat, but it's not like the cowboy rounds you see around. Is there any real risk of accidental discharge when loading, or are those stories on the web just urban myths? Any recommended commercially available ammo that anyone here likes for this gun?

Thanks in advance.

Hap
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Questions re Marlin 1894C

Post by AJMD429 »

Hollow points seem to feed and function fine and safely in mine!

The loading is easier if you develop the 'rhythm' of pausing at just the right place where the catrdige head is held by the 'diamond' formed with the 'V' of the loading gate, and the 'U' of the front edge of the loading port. Some judicious stoning to smooth things up a bit there can help, as well.

I can't comment on the 'gunsmith' question, but have always felt comfortable with inspecting my own purchases, unless I had reason to fear the gun had really been abused. Fairly hard to cause a dangerous situation in that gun, I'd think, as it isn't under huge amounts of stress, relative to many others. I'm sure some forum members can tell you what 'signs' to look for that would indicate trouble.

You will LOVE that levergun.

Consider a Williams FP receiver sight for it, though - you'll be able to shoot both faster, and more accurately, than with the factory open sights.

The top-mount FP-336 (on left in pic below) goes on any of them (I prefer it on the two front scope holes), and if your gun has the two little sight-holes on the left side of the receiver (or you care to drill them yourself and tap them, or have a gunsmith do it), you can also use the FP-94/36, (on right in pic below) which is a little more streamlined.

ImageImage

Even the FP-336 is pretty compact and unobtrusive vs. most sights:

Scroll down at this link for pics of many other aperture sight options:
The above link will also show the setup I used to get this three-shot, 50-yard group with my 1894c in pitch-black conditions... 8)

WARNING: 'Leveritis' is highly infectious, and you will soon find yourself wanting a .44 Mag, then a .30-30, a .45-70, etc. - and of course then you'll 'need' variations in barrel length, manufacturer, and stainless-vs.-blued... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Get it. If the ammunition feeds it will be fine. It likely will feed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

My little carbine feeds everthing but those snap caps so don't put to much faith in them. I have a feeling you'll love that little gun. Unless you can really see something that looks wrong I would skip the trip to the gunsmith.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I put a Skinner sight on mine and like it alot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AJMD, You should use an Indiana quarter for your brag shots.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

You can trim the magazine spring for easier loading. Cowboy Action folks do this. In fact I've trimmed mine and its easier to load and the magazine will hold 10 125 gr. .357's rather than 9. Consult one of the Cowboy action sites for more info. You can trim too much off, so proceed carefully.

Roundup
Happy Trails!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and WELCOME to the Forum.

Unless the gun appears to be refinished, has difficulty chambering rounds or extracting rounds, I'd fire it. In a safe direction, I'd cycle the intended rounds thru it.

IMO, if the hollowpoint is of sufficient diameter as to cover the primer, it's unlikely to cause an issue in a tube magazine. I use Sierra's little 125 grain HP in my .30-30s all the time. BUT, you want it to be as close to the size of the primer (if not bigger) as possible.

As far as working on a 1894 Marlin, see Marauder's Rifle & Pistol Hints.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hap35
Levergunner

Post by Hap35 »

Thanks, Griff. I think the hollow points are larger than the primer area so that removes a big concern. The Mauruder's link is very helpful.

Roundup, how much of the spring would you trim? 1/2"? 3/4" The length of a .38 special? Half of that? How much is "too much"?

AJMD, great pictures, nice looking gun. I appreciate the confirmation on safe use of hollow points. I figure it's better to ask in advance than experiment and have an accidental discharge in the tube. I think I'll stick with the stock sights for right now until I get comfortable with the gun, but will check out alternative sights later.

Here are some pics of my new/old 1984C. Not too bad for a 31 year old rifle.

Hap
Hap35
Levergunner

Post by Hap35 »

Does anyone know when Marlin started adding sling swivels? My 1980 1894C does not have them.

Hap
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I didn't know they did add swivels to the 1894s...

FWIW, shoot the thing for a while before fixing something that works as is....
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hap35
Levergunner

Post by Hap35 »

Hobie wrote:I didn't know they did add swivels to the 1894s...

FWIW, shoot the thing for a while before fixing something that works as is....

Definitely. Re the sling swivels, I was just thinking ahead for some backpacking I hope to do this summer. Would be nice to have a sling and take the rifle along.

Re shooting, I'm heading to the OBX in NC later this week where I have a place, and where the OBX Gun Club runs the Dare County Shooting Complex. It is, without a doubt, the best range I've ever seen. It's an outdoor facility. Two separate rifle ranges (50 and 100 yards), handgun ranges (25 and 50 yards), plus a separate skeet range. Noticed that you are also in VA, Hobie. If you make it to the OBX for vacation, check out this range, you won't regret it.

Hap
RichBMW
Levergunner

Post by RichBMW »

I've had my new 1894c for just a couple of weeks. Love to shoot 38 special from it...cheap and nearly no recoil. Here's what the swivels look like on the new model:

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Hap35 -- I think Hobie has the right idea. Shoot the rifle for awhile and then think about anything you might want to add or adjust. A check through MidwasUSA and Brownell's might turn up a new front barrel band with a swivel, or you could post a trade in the classifieds here for someone desiring to get rid of theirs. Here is a picture of my 100+ year old 32-20 with factory sling swivels for you dining and dancing pleasure. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Dis-assemblying Marlins is very easy. To aid in loading, dis-assemble to the point that you can remove the loading gate. It's only 1 screw. Then, by grinding, decrease the width of the flat spring. Dip in water often while grinding to keep it cool. I decreased mine by about 1/3 and it made loading very easy. YMMV.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

hap35:

I obtained the info. off a site about trimming the magazine spring some years back, and for the life of me I can't retrieve it and can't remember what the site was. My 1894C is one of the "Big Five" store chain rifles. I haven't seen them for sale in a long time. It was plain finished, came with sling swivels, and has a plain finished birch (?) stock.

I know that the length I trimmed was way more than the length of a .38/.357 cartridge. I know one 94C owner who removed the end cap from the magazine tube and trimmed the spring even with the magazine tube. I trimmed mine several times before I quit. Probably more failure of nerve than where I wanted to end up. Like I said I can get 10 125 gr. 357 in the tube or 10 158 gr. flat nose .38's. It loads much easier than with the full-length spring and I suffered no failures to feed or jamming of any sort. My 1894C fed everything well, with no hitched or jamming before I modified the spring..even .38 Spec. semi-wadcutters!

I checked out the price and availability of magazine springs be fore I started. At that time the cost was reasonble...no idea what they are now.
Happy Trails!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like the one I have, made in the mid-70's. This is my son's favorite lever-action. He's known as "Y2K" here. We just shot it a few months ago for a science fair project. Just a great gun. Only time I've ever had problems with it was my fault - I tried feeding full wadcutters through it.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!! :D
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Pretty new to posting here myself, but welcome, Hap!! Nice little Marlin.

Someone posted a pic of a sling that slips over the butt and wraps around the barrel/mag tube if you need/want a sling but are not sure you want more holes in your gun yet.

Good luck on the sight selection. :roll:

I had my own mind made up for mine until I clicked that link above. :lol: