Winchester 73

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester 73

Post by Bob Winchester »

Is this old winchester worth $750? It was made in the twenties. I was thinking of a purchase. It's in 32-20 with some rifeling left. Thanks for the help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 73

Post by COSteve »

YES!!!!!!!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I also would buy for $750 ... certainly in 32-20 which I favor. Unless the other side of the rifle in the picture is missing somehow, I'd say it's a good deal.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

What makes it worth that? Just from the look of it what's it worth? The front sight has been replaced with an orginal sight. What make a good rifle?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nope...not worth $750 USD, original patina, original parts...nope, worth a few bucks more than $750 USD
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Over here I saw a 73 in 32/20 in very poor condition for three times that!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Bob,

I figure it like this:

[*]The rifle DOES NOT look like junk.
[*]It is a genuine, old Winchester Model 1873.
[*]A brand-new, modern reproduction will cost you more.
[*]If the caliber is to your liking, then you have a reason, right there.
[*]Clean the heck out of the bore, and shoot the snot out of it, before you decide on messing with the barrel.
[*]There is NO shame in owning that rifle.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'll share my practical opinion which you are allowed to rebuff.

The 73 was vastly superseded by JM Browning's model 92. Doesn't make sense to me to purchase an obsolete design.
32-20 is a fairly useless cartridge by modern standards. I can't imagine myself hunting small animals with any rifle except my tack driving 22 MAG.

From a non-practical view: anytime a man can turn a profit quickly, the rifle deserves a definite second look.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That fine old '73 in 32wcf may not suit t.r., but I would take it over a rimfire .22 mag anyday and borrow the money to do it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

yep buy it. i have 1 in 32-20 made in 1886 shoot the heck outa it my 22 mag is sweet its costly to shoot, 32-20 is 6 or 7 $ a 100 to reload with a home cast bullet
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jump on that!!! 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Bob Winchester wrote:What makes it worth that? Just from the look of it what's it worth? The front sight has been replaced with an orginal sight. What make a good rifle?

For a guy who goes by the name of "Bob Winchester", we thought you might be able to tell us. :wink: ----------------------Terry
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Bob Winchester wrote:What makes it worth that? Just from the look of it what's it worth? The front sight has been replaced with an orginal sight. What make a good rifle?
For a guy who goes by the name of "Bob Winchester", we thought you might be able to tell us. :wink: ----------------------Terry
Just pass along the name and location of the seller... we'll take care of the rest.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

I've had a lot to drink :D but if I don't get it i sure willl.....
Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Just pass along the name and location of the seller... we'll take care of the rest.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote="Griff Just pass along the name and location of the seller... we'll take care of the rest.[/quote]

+1. I can't believe someone would charge such a ridiculous amount for an antiquated, obsolete pile of junk. Just let me know who has it and where! :twisted:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

More I think about it, this has to be an April Fools post. The rifle is probably worth double that and with 30+ posts here our friend, Mr. Winchester, has got to have an idea about the value of old, original '73s.
Steve
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Here in the Hoosier state things sell for a bit less. I just hate locking that much money up in a rifle I probably won't shoot that much and I worry it will not go up in value much. Many around here just have been unloading alot of the family heirlooms and I think this may be such a case.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Got it for $650. Pick it up on Tuesday if everything goes ok. May only be a short ownership as I don't know how bad I will have PO'd the wife!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm sure I or some other kind soul here would give you your money back for it. I mean just to keep peace with you and the wife!
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

You said "It's in 32-20 with some rifeling left." If you clean it good, it may have more rifling than you think. The grooves may have lead build-up.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Bob Winchester wrote:Got it for $650. Pick it up on Tuesday if everything goes ok. May only be a short ownership as I don't know how bad I will have PO'd the wife!
If the barrel ain't bent and it's not missing the action, you stole it!
Steve
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Even in the raw metal condition I'll get my money back if I don't like it? The stock doesn't look sanded but it's rough and not cracked. And it is in good enough condition to shoot, at least that is what i'm told.
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Got it today, will try to post some images later. My local gun dealer says I got killed caused it has been sanded. He said not more than $350. I paid $650. It's number is 6040XXB. It was made in 1909 I guess. It has a crisp action. I have not tested it. Live and learn I guess.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

If its in shootable condition, you did alright. After you play with it some, then see if you feel like you got skinned! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Bob Winchester,

Don't feel bad about your purchase. You own the rifle, now. It is yours, and you can fix her up the way that you want to. :mrgreen:

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Well I'm $650 in and sold a 1938 Winchester 64 in .32 special to get it. Here is the latest and greatest. Mistake or not I guess she's mine for now. I think I let my "I want" get the best of me and went too deep but for better or worse I guess she is part of the family now. :D Here is the gun pic's I hope you enjoy! Any comments welcome!

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It sure looks worth $650 to Me. the only reason the "DEALER" says You got killed is He's mad that He didn't pay $350 for it so He could put it on the rack or on Gunbroker asking $1500 and selling it as "rare".from Your pictures the wood looks to fit the metal good. I say clean it up and shoot it. I don't think You would have a hard time getting Your money out of it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I look at those pictures and see a great deal of potential. I have to agree with the others, you didn't get took.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rich N
Levergunner

Post by Rich N »

Bob, I'd say you did real good on the '73. In my neck of the woods (northeast) that would probably go for around a grand or more. Nice rifle.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

.45colt wrote:It sure looks worth $650 to Me. the only reason the "DEALER" says You got killed is He's mad that He didn't pay $350 for it so He could put it on the rack or on Gunbroker asking $1500 and selling it as "rare".from Your pictures the wood looks to fit the metal good. I say clean it up and shoot it. I don't think You would have a hard time getting Your money out of it.
Right on, you did good. You got a good one as long as the barrel will shoot decent groups. Clean it up, lube it up, and go shoot it and report back. My guess is that you'll be seeing your '73 in a whole new light.
Steve
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Thanks guys, sometimes it's hard to know with these antiques if you get a nice piece or a bomb!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.45colt wrote:It sure looks worth $650 to Me. the only reason the "DEALER" says You got killed is He's mad that He didn't pay $350 for it so He could put it on the rack or on Gunbroker asking $1500 and selling it as "rare".from Your pictures the wood looks to fit the metal good. I say clean it up and shoot it. I don't think You would have a hard time getting Your money out of it.

45 Colt has it right. Jealousy works in strange ways and I have seen this many times.In fact, I believe I've done it myself a time or two. :D A few years back a buddy of mine (we always compete against each other) pops over the house with this 1886 deluxe in 45-90 with a half rd/oct barrel. It was an easy 5-7K rifle and he told me he paid 2500 for it. Man! I started to burn inside. I started pointing out this 'n that, telling him it was a "put together gun from parts". Funny thing, he calls me a few weeks later and tells me I was right :D It WAS a "put together" gun. Oh well, I was right on that one. Down the road that gun went.

Back to your '73--Remember, they don't make 'em anymore and even the junkers are drying up. From the pics I say you did allright :D The metal is more important than the wood. Even so, these guns were made to be used and about 98% of them show usage from hard to cared for. Yours falls in the middle.

Scrub out the bore real well with a brush and plenty of Hoppes #9 and give her a test run. You can easily get your money back whenever you want to.

Now, Mr. Winchester, go shoot that baby and give us a report...........NOW! (because I just might weasel it from you and I need to know how it shoots :D )--------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WOW, maybe after 10 years on this forum I'm startin to learn somethin. :shock: .Bob if the bore is decent I might even give You the $650 if Your gonna sell it.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Amigo, that 1873 was a bargain at $650 - even if it has a shot out bore! :lol: You done good! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

You did very well, I would have laid that money down no worries for that rifle sir. Enjoy here, let us know how she shoots.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Thanks again!
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

I hate to resurrect an old zombie thread but.... :mrgreen:
Is it taboo at this point to reblue the old gal even though she has been sanded?
If it's not is there a place that can be recommended that will do it in the original blue that will not charge me more than I paid for the rifle?
What would you do with such a rifle?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bob,if it was mine I would not do a thing other than oil it and get it repaired for function. the patina or age on it tells a story. other than a full restoration an inexpensive blue job usually looks cheap and will do nothing for the worth of it .
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Got to agree with .45colt. It looks fine like it is. It's seen a lot in it's day and has the 'wrinkles and warts' to prove it. Be proud of the way it looks; it looks real!
Steve
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

yes sir ree Bob....you did well.....
just clean her up a bit...oil her up a bit....and start shooting!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

My thoughts exactly, .45colt!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

No doubt, you done good. I'd scrub the bore real good and shoot it. I'd leave it alone. As someone said, it's paid it's dues and looks good.
Old Law Dawg