OT: DR Visit / .357 Elbow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: DR Visit / .357 Elbow

Post by J Miller »

Many years ago I did a lot of shooting in early IPSC. I used full blown .45 ACPs from both my Colt Govt Mdl and my S&W 25-2, and full house .357 Mags from my Dan Wesson 15-2 VH, Python, and Mdl 28.
At the time a number of our club members began suffering elbow pain. Technically it's tendonitis, but we all named it ".357 Elbow". Most of us who used the .357 revolvers with full house loads ended up with some degree of this malady. It just took 30 years to hit me.

Today I went to the Dr for a BP test, OK; and asked him what was hurting in my elbow. Diagnosis = tendonitis. When I told the Dr it was .357 Elbow he thought a moment and said, yeah that would do it.

So now I'm officially a victim of my passion for shooting. Oh well, it could be worse I guess.

At least I can say I pursued a sport to the point I got aches and pains from it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: DR Visit / .357 Elbow

Post by LeverBob »

No problemo Jose!!! The cure is simple....they just ram a radioactive isotope up 'yer Kazoo the size of a Wisconson summer sausage hooked to an active Tesla coil & throw the switch. :mrgreen: A 10 point bowel quake ensues with a pooper tsunami that wreaks havoc on yer bowels & immediate surroundings, drawing off any cares about your elbow. :o You might even get some cash floating in from the residual aftershocks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It'l be kinda nice having a nice Torri float out 'yer colies that you can erect at the front of 'yer driveway. :twisted:

LB :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...better "357 elbow" than "357 hearing"...! :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

AJMD429 wrote:...better "357 elbow" than "357 hearing"...! :(
Please write bigger, I can't hear you. :cry:

When I first started shooting the .357, ear protection was largely unheard of (no pun intended.)
The empties from the first two shots became earplugs.
My ears have been ringing since 1965.
The old elbows are holding up well though.

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

LeverBob wrote:No problemo Jose!!! The cure is simple....they just ram a radioactive isotope up 'yer Kazoo the size of a Wisconson summer sausage hooked to an active Tesla coil & throw the switch. :mrgreen: A 10 point bowel quake ensues with a pooper tsunami that wreaks havoc on yer bowels & immediate surroundings, drawing off any cares about your elbow. :o You might even get some cash floating in from the residual aftershocks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It'l be kinda nice having a nice Torri float out 'yer colies that you can erect at the front of 'yer driveway. :twisted:

LB :mrgreen:
ROB, UMM, I DO THINK THAT'S A BIT EXTREME EVEN FOR MY WARPED SENSE OF HUMOR :lol:
DOC, I GOT THAT TOO.... :(
jhrosier wrote:
Please write bigger, I can't hear you. :cry:

When I first started shooting the .357, ear protection was largely unheard of (no pun intended.)
The empties from the first two shots became earplugs.
My ears have been ringing since 1965.
The old elbows are holding up well though.

Jack
JACK, SAME WITH ME. WHEN I STARTED SHOOTING NOBODY SPOKE OF HEARING PROTECTION. NONE OF THE SHOOTING MAGS OR ANY BODY I MET USED HEARING PROTECTION. THIS WAS AS YOU SAID MID TO LATE 1960S. WHAT REALLY FRIED MY HEARING WAS .22 MAGS FROM MY SHORT BARRELED COLT PEACEMAKER CONVERTIBLE.
I GOT TINNITUS 24-7-365 AND "S" AND "F" SOUNDS AS WELL AS OTHERS BLEND TO THE POINT I'M LEARNING TO READ LIPS.

JOE
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:... "S" AND "F" SOUNDS AS WELL AS OTHERS BLEND...

That must suck.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto wrote:

That must suck.
It do. Sometimes conversations get interesting. Another thing about hearing loss is background noise obliterates a lot of the conversation. I stay away from areas with a lot of noise now.

Joe
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

All the above plus Sportster knee, bad back, ringing ears, elbow`s ok though. :roll:
The Golden years. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:
Otto wrote:

That must suck.
It do. Sometimes conversations get interesting. Another thing about hearing loss is background noise obliterates a lot of the conversation. I stay away from areas with a lot of noise now.

Joe
It's funny, I have always had trouble, as far back as I can recall, in understanding conversation when there is even low-level background noise. But my hearing TESTS better than most people half my age.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richard »

You . . . . ahh, . . . we guys are growing old!! :lol: :lol: (Only hurts when I laugh!)
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Joe, I have never talked about it before, but before I was a school psychologist working with special education kids I was a massage therapist who worked in a chiropractic office for 8 years. My massage "Sensei" who is also an 8th degree black belt in Jujitsu is also an acupuncturist. I seriously doubt there is any relation to your elbow tendonitis and the 357 since if I read you right was some years ago. Tendonitis is just an "itis" or swelling of tissues. Your bodies own natural anti-inflamatory system make need some supplementing with the things that support it like the B vitamin complex and vitamin C with 50% bioflavinoids (like rose hips). Avoid caffeine and alcohol as they exhaust the adrenal system (the bodies own anti-inflamatory system). If that doesn't help, try Acupuncture with electrical stimulation (extremely low voltage and amperage and certainly better than the the "radioactive summer sausage"!) or ultrasound which uses a gel to conduct vibration from a little hand-held wand into the tissues. Ultrasound is a marvelous invention that really help with the swelling of tissues, particularly in joints. I had a bad knee injury from martial arts and because of my job could "self-medicate" with ultrasound. Worked wonders whenever I buggered up my knee again. Your elbow is NOT a big deal and is easily treatable.

Just don't go blaming the good ol' 357 Magnum! :lol:

Regards there good Buddy!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

AAAH Joe, just trying to make 'ya laugh pard. Pain is something I made a friend a long time ago. I hope you take Tutt's advice. Being an old martial artist, I can say he's dead right. Somewhere you're doing a motion wrong, or sleeping on it wrong.

The .357 isn't that bad an actor...pretty stout...but not something that would give you tendinitis. Doing some basic weight workouts with some light dumbells would help you out once you lose the pain. (Let it heal first).

Joe...maybe it's time to learn some basic bodyweight workouts. Lose some weight, get your strength back. You're a big stout guy, hope you recover quickly.

Your Buddy,
LB
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

J Miller wrote:
Otto wrote:

That must suck.

Joe
old geezer: sure is windy today.

older geezer: no it's thursday.

old geezer: i'm thirsty too, let's go get a drink.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Getting old ain't for sissies...!!!!!
Bette Davis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You know you are getting old when you realize that "'Roid Rage" no longer has anything to do with body building drugs... and you have it. :? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

I have fired a lot 45acp, 44 mag and 454 casull over the years. My elbows are fine, its my hands that absorbed most of the punishment. If your hands hurt alot, go get an xray and you'll be suprised how much of a beating they have taken over the years. Doctors always ask if I was a professional fighter after looking at the xrays.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I was shooting a lot early on I used the rigid triangle stance with my elbows locked. They took a lot of beating that way. Later I adopted the modified Weaver with my elbow flexed. That helped.

Getting old is for tough guys, we sure ain't no weaklings.

Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

J Miller wrote:Getting old is for tough guys, we sure ain't no weaklings.
Yeah, I'll agree if sure isn't for sissies. I find new aches and pains almost daily anymore.
Old Law Dawg
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Pitchy, Sporster knee sure does date you! Ever try to start a bored & stroked one?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jammed both my elbows almost a year & ½ ago... first the left one hurt to the point that I couldn't do anything... then the extra stress on the right one caused it to flare up... started in using the left again... now it hurts constantly.

The pain reminds me not to work it... and that I'm still here to enjoy all else that's around... Like Kim said, pain is my friend... tells me when to lay off doin' something. Really annoying part... is that I can't do that one-handed grab out the door of the truck and swing down to the ground without usin' them "fat" man crutches... otherwise known as "steps"! So... for the time being, I have to enter and exit the truck just like those "safety" videos say is the "proper" way!

So far, typing doesn't seem unduly stressful on the left... and the tv remote can still get operated with the right hand! Life's good. Hard... but still good. Harder when you're stupid, but I guess that's only fair, as the alternative really sucks! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My hearing is bad now too, any kind of background noise and I have a job to tell what someone is saying :( Sounds like a distant diesel gene running all the time :roll:

Joe, are you sure it's not just mouse strain :lol: :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

I use one of them ball-less mouses with the red light. Cuts way back on the effort . :wink: :lol:

Joe
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Yeah, I got that.

Sorry to hear Joe! Gettin' old is not for sissies. :D

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn