Opinions on scout scope set up.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Opinions on scout scope set up.

Post by nemhed »

I would like the opinion of those who have the scout scope set up on any of their rifles, and why you went with it. I would also the opinion of those who have tried a scout scope but decided against. I'm already aware that some feel it is blasphemy to put a scope on a levergun. I recently checked out a Marlin 1894 set up with a Burris Scout Scope. I thought it was probably quick on target but seemed to have a limited field of view. Maybe F.O.V. doesn't matter so much with a low powered scope and both eyes kept open. I have a standard 4x scope mounted on my 1894 which I feel is fast on target and has a good F.O.V. and sufficient magnification, but I'm also very used to shooting it that way. I have read the scout scopes aren't as good in low light situations as standard scopes. So tell me what ya'll think: pros-cons, advatages-disadvantages.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I have a couple that I've had on rifles, (leupold 2x's) and with both eyes open, they work great. Low light, absolutely no problem. I don't use them for myself, but have one on a 336 in .356 winchester that I load way down for the grandkids to shoot.

No gripes from me. They work extremely well for me, and retain the convenient carrying capability of the lever rifle as well.
de k8bor

Dave
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an 1895GS set up with AO scout mount and Leupold Scout Scope with the Leupold QRWs. Have the AO Ghost Ring and a HiViz front sight. I could not be happier. The Leupold is quicker than open sights or even the ghost ring. When I was younger, I prolly wouldn't have gone this way, but old eyes are grateful eyes :oops:
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I had one on my Marlin guide gun - but I have since taken it off. It did not really work for me becuase I am cross eye dominate - my left eye, but I shoot right handed so I have to squint or close one eye to shoot (most times).

I can see where they could be fast to get into action and use - but have gone to straight peep sights or the normal scope set-ups.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Leopold Scout on my 1895M / 450, Springfield SOCOM16 and a Ruger 10/22 (Buris) and couldn't be happier with them. To me they seem to be very quick on target and my not-so-good vision it better than open sights for things like counting points on antlers. The part of PA where I do most of my hunting has an antler restriction of 5 points. Just quicker and easier than fumbling around for a pair of binoculars.
The 10/22 is the cat's behind when comes to moving targets like knocking red squerills out of the trees! 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I agree with all of the things the others have said. it is very handy and fast. Doug
a armed man is his own master
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I hear what you guys are saying, but is a scout truly faster than a standard scope set up. I'm wondering if the speed in getting on target is just a function of the low (relative to most scopes) power and the target being in the same focal plane (is this the correct term?) as the reticle (which is not the case with aperature or open sights).
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Most people find it faster, especially if you learn to use it with both eyes open. You are not only able to keep both eyes on the game, but then have a 2X magnified target acquistion.
de k8bor

Dave
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

For me it is much faster than a standard scope.
I had a little 4x on my AR and switched to an EOTECH holosight on a scout mount. My times at the IDPA carbine matches were 1/3 less with the holosight.

I have a Weaver 4x on my 94 30-30. to me it's kinda awkward. Going to put an XS scout mount and another Leopold as soon as I can.

Most of the hunting I do is in pretty dense woods. A 100 yd shot is rare.
To me it's as quick handling as open sights with the bonus of magnification. But that's just me.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I had a Burris Scout scope set up on my Marlin 1894P in a LeverScout mount.

I thought the Burris scope too limiting, having had wide prior scope experience - and so replaced it twice.

First, with a Weaver Classic 2-7x28 pistol scope, which also didn't "work" due to it's eye relief window being too long for my ergonomic at 11"-21".

It has worn a Weaver Classic 2x28 pistol scope, for the last several years, that has an eye relief window that works perfectly for me ergonomically at 9"-17".
The new Weaver(s) cost me about half of a Burris (or Leupold) Scout scope - a plus.

YMMV, regarding the eye relief "fit" to you - definitely.

IMHO, The proper scope, in the scout position, is a lot faster to use than a scope mounted in the standard rear position - and handles about like a good ghost ring peep sight with better clarity, target definition and dim-light capability.

My left-eye-dominant 40 y.o. son also finds it so, but I caught his eye dominance when he was 7 or 8, and trained him to shoot from his left shoulder then - so it seems as normal to him now as it does to me, a right handed, right-eyed shooter.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I had one on my Mosin for one trip to the range. It needed to be bore sighted after installation which I was not able to do. I did really like the sight picture though; it had an NcStar 2.5 on it.

At first I thought it looked pretty neat on the rifle, but after a little while it lost it's appeal. I would like to give another one a try on something different, like a 336 or something.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've only tried a couple setups, but never could warm up to them. I like receiver or tang 'peeps' or a conventional scope in rear position. Now I HAVE used red dot sights in 'scout' position, and I find them very fast and easy to use.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I gave the scout scope a good try, and hunted with it last year, some. Unfortunately I am right eyed and left handed so it's hard to use with both eyes open. But even if my eyes were right it no faster then a low power regular scope. I shoot both right handed and lefthanded, so I have tried the both eyes open method with both types of scopes and both eyes open is better, but you can do just as fast a shooting with a regular scope, if it is of low power and set up right for quick handling.

And that is the problem with lots of scope users, they bolt on a big 3x9 or even bigger scope, pay little attention to eye relief, and don't get the rest of their rifle set up right for fast handling. I am personally never happy with a rifle unless it comes up like a fine shotgun that fits me to a tee. I will cut stocks, mess with recoil pads, change sights and fuss with a gun until it is just right for me, or I get rid of it.

At anyrate, I found the scout scope lacking. I don't think it is for me. I would much rather have a Leupold 1.5x5 or 2.5x7 regular scope, or on some guns a straight 4x or 6x Leupold. The rest wear some form of iron sights, often receiver sights, but not always.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

This isn't a scope, but a holographic sight. It is very fast, probably faster than open sights.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are not for me but some seem to really like them. But then I am not a fan of the both eyes open approach.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Ashley Scout Mount, B & L 2x pistol scope on my 45/70 Guide Gun...
LOVE IT. When I put it on, I was hunting the Okeefennokee swamp region of Souh Georgia and "long" shots were 80-100 yds. MOST of the deer I killed were under 50. That combination worked GREAT..!!
Cheers,
Don