85 gn Hornady .312

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

85 gn Hornady .312

Post by coyote nose »

So several years ago at a gunshow I bought 2 sealed bags (not in boxes) of bullets labeled "85 GN Hornady 32 Cal." assuming it was the xtp bullet. Looks exactly like the XTP. Finally getting around to using them, trying them in a 32-20 1892. I weighed them and they weigh 90GNs. Hmmm...what do i have? The only 90Gn JHP out there is the Sierra and it has a large exposed lead tip. I will use 90 GN loading data but just wonder what bullet I actually have?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: 85 gn Hornady .312

Post by damienph »

I've never seen Hornady bullets in bags. The Hornady catalog# for the 85gr XTP .312" is 32050. Is that # on the bags?

The only 90gr XTP that I am familiar with is the .309" (cat # 31000). I shoot it in my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Measure the diameter of yours to be sure that is not what you have.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HORNADY MADE AN 85gr JHP BULLET FOR THE 32MAG FOR SOME YEARS BEFORE THE XTP STYLE BULLETS WERE INTRODUCED. THE EARLIER BULLET IS DECIDEDLY SUPERIOR TO THE XTP IN EVERY 32MAG I'VE EVER TESTED.
I MIGHT NOTE THIS ALSO APPLIES TO ALL THE PRE-XTP 10MM BULLETS NOT TO EVEN MENTION THE SOME OF THE 38/357MAG PRE-XTP BULLETS. IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT THE XTP WAS DESIGNED TO MEET THE " FBI PROTOCOLS " WHICH WERE PROVEN TO BE DECIDEDLY WRONG SOME YEARS LATER. I HAVE ALWAYS CONSIDERED THE XTP BULLETS TO BE THE BIGGEST PILE OF BALOGNA FOISTED OFF ON AMERICAN SHOOTERS IN DECADES.
ON THE OTHER HAND THEY DO WEIGH 85grs NOT 90grs.
AND SO IT GOES...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

They measure 0.3125" and weigh 90 Gn. I pulled an 85 Gn XTP from some factory 32 Mag ammo I have and it weighs 85GN and mics 0.3120". Length of the Factory 85 GN bullet is 0.490", length of these mystery bullets is 0.510", so they are 0.020" longer. i took a comparison photo of both and will try to post it tomorrow (have to go into work soon today). Here is what is exactly printed on the bag label:
(100)
32 CAL. HDY. .312dia.
85 gr. HP XTP
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Think I have 500 of those bullets TERRY mentioned (the older ones). Have to dig them out and take a look.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The only thing I can say about Hornady pistol bullets JHP vs HPXTP is that the XTP versions never have been as accurate as the earlier JHPs. Especially in my .45s.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

coyote nose wrote:They measure 0.3125" and weigh 90 Gn. I pulled an 85 Gn XTP from some factory 32 Mag ammo I have and it weighs 85GN and mics 0.3120". Length of the Factory 85 GN bullet is 0.490", length of these mystery bullets is 0.510", so they are 0.020" longer. i took a comparison photo of both and will try to post it tomorrow (have to go into work soon today). Here is what is exactly printed on the bag label:
(100)
32 CAL. HDY. .312dia.
85 gr. HP XTP
Terry solved your "mystery".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

[/quote]Terry solved your "mystery".[/quote]

No he didnt...mine are 90 gn not 85 gn.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

coyote nose wrote:
Terry solved your "mystery".
No he didnt...mine are 90 gn not 85 gn.
Yes he did. He told you those are PRE-XTP Hornadys which actually weighed 90 gr. You do NOT need to make things more complicated than they are. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nope --- he didn't say that or mention the weight. He just said Hornady made a bullet before the XTP. No need to say things he didn't. :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The old ones I have are listed at 85 gr and have a lead nose ahead of the jacket. They are labeled 3205, 32 Cal, 85 gr., 312 HP in a factory red and white box. They measure .312 and are .488 long.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Are they 90 gr - I haven't had a chance to weigh them but I have a thousand and a 32 Mag for my son so this is of some particular interest to me in the specifics.

As a bonus of the search I came across a 500 ct of .4525" Keith bullets from Western Nevada Casting that I didn't know I had. So thanks to all who contributed to the controversy and get me out there to look for those 32s - Coyote and Hobie in the lead. :D :D :D

Hobie - did you delete a post - I thought I was answering one you just made about gleaning something from the conversation.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

MYSTERY NOT SOLVED! I weighed the pre XTP bullets mentioned above and ---- low and behold --- they weigh 85 gr. SO --- they are likely not the 90 gr bullets that coyote nose has unless they were that different in some runs.

coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Thanks Old Savage. I wonder if maybe they actually were old Winchester or Remington made instead and the yahoo that labeled them 85 Gn Hornady not only got the weight wrong but also the manufacturer? The thing is, they shoot GREAT (around 1" at 50 yards bench 3 shot) which is why I'd like to identify them. Have maybe 50 left unless I pull some I loaded into my 32 Mag ammo. If I see anymore at gunshows they are going to be mine!!!