OT Project bore snake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

OT Project bore snake

Post by 1886 »

Saw this topic mentioned on Fox News. A group who sends bore snakes to our troops fighting in the mideast. Seems they have sent over 18,000 so far. Great cause. Anyone know of this? 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Why are we sending bored snakes to the middle east? Shouldn't the government be doing something to relieve the snakes of their domestic boredom? I mean there must be some social programs that can work. I know, maybe Tubby Kennedy will introduce a Bored Snake Entitlement Program of 2008 bill. That should work. There'd be no more bored snakes then.

OK, seriously why the bore snakes? What's wrong with the cleaning equipment the government issues with the service weapons?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I think it would be a good idea. Bore snakes are quick and easy to use.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

good deal!

Post by Hillbilly »

we have sent baby wipes and body armor too.

sometimes the stuff we dont issue is stuff those kids find effective.

Uncle Sam wont give a good fighting knive to every troop either... I sent my kid a KBAR while he toured Afganistan a couple of years ago.

~Hill
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Silly String is useful to our troops, too.

There has been a continuing story of civilians who want to send Silly String overseas, but the hazmat charges are prohibitive. Silly String is used to detect tripwires on boobytraps. About a month ago, a local TV station (WWL, New Orleans) reported that some large company agreed to send a lady's stash of Silly String inside of its cargo container that is going to the Middle East. Very sad... :cry:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

hi joe, i spent a tour and a half in rvn, 69 & 70.a bore snake would have come in very handy for us at that time. it's fast and easy. i cant coun the times i stuck the end of the bore of my rifle in the mud then had to whip out the cleaning rod, a bore snake in my pocket would have made it a snap. i love those things.
J Miller wrote:Why are we sending bored snakes to the middle east? Shouldn't the government be doing something to relieve the snakes of their domestic boredom? I mean there must be some social programs that can work. I know, maybe Tubby Kennedy will introduce a Bored Snake Entitlement Program of 2008 bill. That should work. There'd be no more bored snakes then.

OK, seriously why the bore snakes? What's wrong with the cleaning equipment the government issues with the service weapons?

Joe
Last edited by gary rice on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g rice
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I saw the same report today and looked them up, a Bore Snake is GREAT and I have my own for both my M4 and M9. I was given an Otis kit in Iraq and it was great too. If you want to help Troopers down range this is as good a way as any. Like most things it is a "want" not a "need" (the issue kits do work) still our Troopers deserve what the "want" not what has been determined they "need" by someone who has never ever even thought about seeing action.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Gary,

Didn't your DI tell you not to do that??? :wink: :wink:

Anyway, I can see your point. I don't have a bore(d) snake and have never used one. But in the circumstances you mentioned I can see how they'd work a lot faster than a cleaning rod.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:Why are we sending bored snakes to the middle east?
I can't think of a BETTER place to send Congress... :twisted:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've sent silly string before, just put it in the box with the poggie bait and the other goodies. nothing was ever said about haz mat.

I also heard a fellow here that was sending boar's hair bristle shaving brushes to the troops. according to them nothing cleans the fine dust out of a rifle like boar's hair bristles. They can be had for about $15 a copy for the cheap ones.

Never heard of sending the bore snakes though.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

lol, i havent heard the term poggie bait in 40 years. i wonder if they still use it?
Rusty wrote:I've sent silly string before, just put it in the box with the poggie bait and the other goodies. nothing was ever said about haz mat.

I also heard a fellow here that was sending boar's hair bristle shaving brushes to the troops. according to them nothing cleans the fine dust out of a rifle like boar's hair bristles. They can be had for about $15 a copy for the cheap ones.

Never heard of sending the bore snakes though.

Rusty <><
g rice
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

gary rice wrote:lol, i havent heard the term poggie bait in 40 years. i wonder if they still use it?
It was still in use as of 2001... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:
+1 :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

awp101 wrote:
+2 :lol:

Joe
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Yes, we still use Poggie Bait! And even hide it in the same places on our tracks!!!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

A while back our church was supporting a Navy Corpsmen in Fallujah with the 'Thundering Third' and a Sgt with the 172nd Stryker Birgade and we sending them thousands of crayons. They were handing these out to the kids. Winning hearts and minds.

One of the other highly appreciated items was insoles....these guys do a lot of walking!

Wm