Nice Blue?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Nice Blue?

Post by bsaride »

This was a half hour of Sweets (on jag) followed by Kroil.
I have gone thru this barrel (Marlin 1893 t/d 30 wcf) 3-4
times in the past or more. Used Butch's, Kroil and copper
wool with Kroil.

This is my setup with barrel moved to air the front notch,
Sweets was eating around the front sight. Always clean outside
and the side step seems the best for me.

I got the buggered screw out :D of the action.

Anyone going to the SoCal Fam Reunion?
If so, I would like to know if you want me to order patches
(see pg 6 of sticky).

I still have lots to do and will hit it with copper wool and Kroil next.
More than half way thru what I expect is 100 yrs of buildup.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bsaride,

It's a lot of work cleaning years and decades of fouling build up out of a rifle barrel. Been there, done that.

You mentioned using copper wool. Since the bullet fouling is copper, and you're using copper wool you might be getting a false blue from the copper wool. I've had that happen from brass and bronze brushes.

What I do now is use stainless brushes for a couple strokes, then let the chemicals do it. That way the only thing the chemicals are reacting to is the crud in the bore.

One question, what is the gun on sale on the add? Some kind of bolt gun with a scope is all I can tell.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

J Miller wrote:bsaride,

You mentioned using copper wool. Since the bullet fouling is copper, and you're using copper wool you might be getting a false blue from the copper wool. I've had that happen from brass and bronze brushes.

There is alot of lead fouling, that's why I'm using the copper wool.
Alternating from lead copper fouling techniques.

What I do now is use stainless brushes for a couple strokes, then let the chemicals do it. That way the only thing the chemicals are reacting to is the crud in the bore.

I will have to pick up stainless brushes and try them, not sure how old
steel (1908) works with the stainless which is why I didn't go that route.

One question, what is the gun on sale on the add? Some kind of bolt gun with a scope is all I can tell.

It's an old ad for an air rifle

Joe
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"I will have to pick up stainless brushes and try them, not sure how old
steel (1908) works with the stainless which is why I didn't go that route."

Not to start a flame war or anything, but I would definitely NOT, repeat NOT use stainless or steel brushes on any of my firearms. They can ruin a bore in very short order, particularly on stainless guns.

Quality bore brushes in copper/bronze with a brass core (soft to prevent bore damage) can be purchased relatively cheaply by the dozen (last I ordered were under $1.00 each) through benchrest suppliers such as Sinclair International, etc. I "recycle" mine by using the .30's until they no longer fit tightly... they then make great 7mm brushes... after that, if not too badly abused, they make great 6.5mm brushes... you get the picture.

Hope this helps!
John
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

You might try a product called Wipe-out, it is a foam that you leave soak in the barrel. I've had very good luck with it for removing copper before cast bullets.

Hartman
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

bsride,

Stainless brushes will not hurt steel barrels. The thing is you run them in and all the way through from one direction, and then pull them back all the way out in one direction. You don't stop in the middle and change directions.

I've used them on both rifle and handguns for some years now. I do not use them on a regular basis, but only on stubborn cases of leading or copper fouling.
There is no scratches, or marring, or wear in any of my guns that can be attributed to my occasional use of them.

I've been told, although I can't verify it at this time, that Ruger actually recommends the stainless brushes. So I'm not worrying about it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

As long as you keep using that brass jag you are going to turn every patch you use blue with any copper solvent, no matter how clean the barrel is!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I use an Outers Foul Out--Gets out copper and lead. Plus it gets out corrosion which is great when messing with the old rifles with less than perfect rifling. When the "clean" light goes on, I know its clean.

Nice takedown Marlin you have there. There's a lot less Marlin takedowns than Winchesters. How does she shoot?---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Sixgun wrote:Nice takedown Marlin you have there. There's a lot less Marlin takedowns than Winchesters. How does she shoot?---------------Sixgun
Don't know yet, got the last buggered screw out yesterday on the
disassembly and cleaning, I have several locking lugs to try when
I put it back together and check headspace. haven't taken the front
end apart yet either. unsure how critical a tight takedown latch needs
to be, but still need to address that as well. slowly getting it right and
worst case will shoot it at the socal reunion.
KI6WZU
NRA member

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Sixgun nailed it. Outers Foul Out. 1886.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never used stainless steel brushes, but I sure wouldn't try them out the first time on a vintage Marlin takedown, ith the older metallurgy! Give it a try on something with newer steel.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/