OT: quick question on reload of this ammo...7.62x54r

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

OT: quick question on reload of this ammo...7.62x54r

Post by antilley »

http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-785-762 ... 2x54r.aspx

anyone tried this ammo? Also, it is re loadable with traditional primers?

Sorry again for the noob question.
chainsaw
Levergunner

Re: OT: quick question on reload of this ammo...7.62x54r

Post by chainsaw »

It says they have boxer primers,so it is reloadable.Buy a bag and try it out.please post results if you try it.
If you don't like loggers,wipe your hiney with a plastic bag.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Boxer primed can be reloaded easier than Berdan primed but I'm a little curious as to the origin of that surplus.

I'm far from an expert on it, but offhand I can't think of what country would have used brass cased, Boxer primed, non-corrosive 7.62x54R in their arsenals.

I know the Yugos made brass cased 7.62x39 but I know for a fact it's corrosive (and shoots lights out IMO), not sure of the primer.

All the Chinese ammo I recall running across was steel cased unless it was made for the civilian market (not exactly surplus, eh?).

All the Warsaw Pact 54R I can think of was steel cased but again, I'm not an ammo expert and it's entirely possible I'm overlooking something. Probably something obvious at that. :lol: There's just something about the total description that leaves me wondering...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Wow, I've never seen boxer-primed ammo that was "surplus" in this caliber. Most is copper-washed steel cases and is usually 147-150gr light ball or 180gr heavy ball. If it's really 170gr then I'd bet it is commercial over-run and not military surplus, which would increase the likelihood of it being boxer-primed. I'd buy small first to check it before getting a truck load.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

They are sold out .... I bet they did go quick.

another qq: I slugged my barrel and it came to .313 .... any suggestions for a bullet?

I shot 20 rounds of the Winchester ammo and it shot well enough to not worry about... But, I cannot find the dimension of their bullet anywhere.

I see a hornady bullet that is sized to .312 ..... just not sure what to order.

Thanks -

dan
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

At .313 I would look at any of the boolits designed for the .303 brit. Those run .311-.312
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

In the early Ninety's I remember seeing surplus boxer primed, U.S., 1980's manufactured .303 British ammo with no head stamp. Why? Obviously it had been intended for the Afghans fighting the Russians.
This probably had a similar purpose clandestine purpose.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Antilley: Here's what I did to get some good hunting ammo for the 7.62X54r..... get an inertia (Hammer type) bullet puller... dissassemble 20 rounds of Mil-surp ammo.. weigh each powder charge.. average the weights and reload with the hunting bullet of your choice. reference a good reloading book to get the right weight bullet.. To resize the un-fired brass, remove the deprimeing pin from your sizeing die, and run them through.. You will end up with good shooting hunting ammo for a very cheap price.. although the primers will still be corrosive.. and have to clean with hot soapy water after fireing.. HTH Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Les Staley wrote:Antilley: Here's what I did to get some good hunting ammo for the 7.62X54r..... get an inertia (Hammer type) bullet puller... dissassemble 20 rounds of Mil-surp ammo.. weigh each powder charge.. average the weights and reload with the hunting bullet of your choice. reference a good reloading book to get the right weight bullet.. To resize the un-fired brass, remove the deprimeing pin from your sizeing die, and run them through.. You will end up with good shooting hunting ammo for a very cheap price.. although the primers will still be corrosive.. and have to clean with hot soapy water after fireing.. HTH Les
Les Staley's idea works really well. I've done similar with surplus 7mm ammo for reduced loads for my Rolling Block, except I used new powder. I used my RCBS Inertia bullet puller, didn't resize the brass, reused the FMJ Bullets and used a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'll bet that it's Privi out of Serbia, but why they'd call it "surplus" I don't know. The whole plastic bag thing is weird too. Factory seconds?? Perhaps.

Other, more nefarious scenarios come to mind...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As soon as I saw this post, I went there and tried to buy some, all gone. Boxer primed, brass cases, yep I'd buy a lot...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...