Mag primers for IMR 4350 powder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Mag primers for IMR 4350 powder?

Post by getitdone1 »

I've been using standard WLR primers when loading my .348 Winchester cartridges but thinking I'd better buy some WLRM (Winchester Large Rifle Magnum) primers for my 375 H&H. This one will use up to about 80 gr of this powder and thinking for complete burning magnum primer would be best.

Would magnum primer also be best with .348? How much would it change pressures over standard primer?

Don McCullough
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Is this virtually the same as H4350? I allways believed a mag primer was not required for the H4350 and never did when I use to use it. It allways kicked in pretty easy. Not sure about the amounts you are using though.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

BAck in the days when I thought it took a 300 Weatherby to kill a jack rabbit, I regularily lit off 80/4350 with a standard primer and never had any problem with ignition. Of course that was before there was such a thing as a magnum primer.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

The only way to know is to get out the chrony and go collect data. Generally one is best served with the mildest primer that will get the job done. 4350 is not difficult to ignite. 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WLR primers are for standard and magnum loads. Sez so on the box.
Post any difference you find when you crono yours. :wink:
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:WLR primers are for standard and magnum loads. Sez so on the box.
Post any difference you find when you crono yours. :wink:
Chuck,

I kinda thought I'd seen that somewhere too. However I go over and check my boxes of Winchester WLR primers and find no info like you mention.

Been through all my loading books and see most suggest magnum but some suggest standard primers--even with larger cartridges. Most loading manuals I have specify magnum primers.

I'm going with my standard and sure they'll do fine. Rather not have two types of large rifle primers to keep separated.

Don McCullough
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Chuck, I think you may be thinking of the WLP primers. Win. does produce a large rifle mag. primer. Mic tells me they are hotter than the Fed. 215. 1886.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

i have never had a problem with standard primers and 4350 but I will admit to never having tried magnum primers. I would be more interested in accuracy than speed. Either is surely going fast enough for my purposes.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I allways uderstood it that a mag primer was for type of powder being used and not for large doses in big cases, or a mag primer ain't just for mag cartridges :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

MAGNUM PRIMERS

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I shoot H-4350 in my 348 with CCi-250 primers.This load came from an old manual.I have used IMR-4350 with standard primers and no problems.When using H-4350 in my 7mm.mag. and a standard primer it sounded like a flintlock.The IMR powder worked well.The H4350 in my experience seems to be a little harder to light.In my 348 the H-4350 is a bit more accurate.My friends and I use a load of 59.0grs.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Don and 1886, You guys ar probably right. I will have to go look. My loading room is in my shop so maybe in the morning. :wink: