Sharps rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Re: Sharps rifles

Post by ScottT »

Griff wrote:
kimwcook wrote:I can't believe my eyes! Scott, you back? I hope everythings been good for you. I don't propose to speak for everyone, but I think I can safely say you've been missed. How's Kate?
+1. Good to "hear" from ya. Again, how's Kate?
I haven't touched Kate in a couple of years now. Mostly shooting that .50-70 Carbine. Thanks.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I love my Pedersoli Quigley 45-110. My son and I shoot together at 600 yards and hit a 2'x2' gong target almost every shot. The gun is beautiful and has no issues at all, never did. It is a thousand dollars cheaper than Shiloh, there must be a differance and I'm too dumb to see it. Your going to love your Sharps no matter who makes it. Black powder is way fun!

Good retirement.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

hightime wrote:. It is a thousand dollars cheaper than Shiloh, there must be a differance and I'm too dumb to see it.

Owen
I don't know where you guys keep coming up with the "thousands" cheaper than a shiloh :?
Take alook here.http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=41
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Scott, you must be a really busy man. almost six months from post to post. :D
Old Law Dawg
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Their site says $3,300 add checkering it's $3,600. At Buffalo Arms the Pedersoli is $1,997 add the sights, it's under $2,500. I didn't say '' thousands'' I said a thousand. I'm sure the Shiloh is worth every penny.

Owen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you're going to compare "Quigley" models, you also need to figure in the Sights and the engraving that comes on the Shiloh....add those same features into a Pedersoli and the price goes skyrocketing.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I recently ordered an 1874 'Business Rifle with options as follows:

$3234.00

1 x 1874 Business Rifle
- Barrel Lengths: 28 inches
- Buckhorn Sights: Full-Buckhorn
- Buttplate: Traditional Steel
- Calibers: 45-70 2-1/10 ST Caliber

- CF: Brass Escutcheons: none
- CF: Custom Bedding Forearm: Select
- CF: Custom Finish: none
- CF: Ebony Pistol Grip: Select
- CF: Ebony Tip: schnabble ebony tip
- CF: Extra Length of Pull: none
- CF: Patchbox: none
- CF: Pewter Tip: none
- CF: Polished Barrel: Select
- CF: Polished Screws: Fireblued screws
- CF: Traditional Checkering: none
- Metal Finishes: Bone & Charcoal
- Wood Grade: Semi Fancy

Many thanks to Ray Newman for his feedback and advice. I have a C. Sharps 1885 in 45-70 and a Wild West Alaska Guide rifle in 457wwMag/45-70.

I went with the 45-70 for the reasons related in previous posts.
Semper Fi
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It's all good. If you shoot any of them, your'e happy. Get one that you like and shoot.

Owen
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ll share my experiences with Sharps of Big Timber MT.
Right after the Quigley rife came out i decided i had to have one so i called them and said i`d like to buy one and they said come on out and buy one. So we jumped in the MH and drove out there only to be told, yep you can buy one but there`s a two year waiting period. :roll:
Last year we drove out to Washington and on the way through Big Timber decided to stop and have a look at the Sharps rifles. Asked if we could tour the gun shop to see how they`er made and was told that they only gave tours to people that are buying a rifle. :roll:
I wish i`d had a million bucks in my pocket i`d told them well i would of bought one if i got the tour.
They can have there hot shot guns i`ll shoot my Pedersoli that was less money shoots just as good and better looking IMO.
This post is not intended to ruffle any feathers just venting my poor experiences.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Pitchy,

I'd be curious to know which of the two Sharps companies you visited? There are two distinctly separate operations there, practically right across the street from each other. Shiloh on the right, or C. Sharps on the left coming out of "downtown"?
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Woodtroll wrote:Pitchy,

I'd be curious to know which of the two Sharps companies you visited? There are two distinctly separate operations there, practically right across the street from each other. Shiloh on the right, or C. Sharps on the left coming out of "downtown"?
I only know of one, it was on the right coming into town from the East, think its C Sharps.
Hey the first time was prob a misunderstanding, the second trip who knows all i know is it cost me quite a bit of money to drive out there and we were disappointed when we couldn`t buy a rifle to bring home.
I`m sure they are great people with a fine product and have many happy customers, i just wasn`t one of them.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

That's too bad, Pitchy,

I hate you missed an opportunity to visit Shiloh, which is diagonally across from C. Sharps. I have had my own bad experiences with C. Sharps Arms, and in fact had an earlier post here about it, but have never heard of anyone visiting Shiloh and getting treated that way. If you ever happen to get out that way again, I hope you get to visit Shiloh! I stopped by on my "trip out West" a few years back, only to find that they were closed on Saturday. :(

Take care,
Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I had my little sharps rifle, chambered in 22 mag, with the Malcom 3x scope to the range today for the first time. I shot about 50 times and got bored dropping bullets into the same hole at 25 yards. I am excited to get after the busy tails this year. I actually gave up all my .22lr rifles and my .22 mag rifle to get this combo and I am very pleased. Fits my hunting style. I will probably get this one out after some ground hogs after my next couple of trips.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot