Levergun Wildcats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Levergun Wildcats

Post by AJMD429 »

I've always found 'wildcats' interesting, and sometimes the wheel keeps getting re-invented over and over again.

There's the .44 Mag necked to .357 (the ".357-44 Bain & Davis"), which always seemed like a nice way to get a bit more velocity from a .357 bullet (or maybe use heavier ones), but stay within say a Marlin 1894-sized platform.

Then I stumble across this one - a .357 Mag case necked to .308 caliber - the ".30-357 Paxton".

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn= ... &catid=682

Those of us with a modern gun that needs rebarreled, or who just like to mess with stuff, might be able to get an interesting levergun by making such a conversion. Kind of like Winchester's .256 Winchester Magnum, which was sort of a 'short-magnum' version of the .25-35.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Levergun Wildcats

Post by adirondakjack »

It'd be kinda creepy with the pointy bullets in the short cases in a mag tube.... Unlike a .30-30, the noses will line up with the primers when the spring pressure stacks em. I tried it with a couple of .357-45s, using a Dillon clear plastic case feeder tube and a spring to be able to see it....

But I still thought about a .357-45 using my rimmed .45 cases, talk about a screamer......
Certified gun nut
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I remember reading an article about Paco having a Rossi .357 rebarreled to .256Win Mag.
Even shot a bear with it across (a small, I hope; canyon down Tucson way ), in the mountains.
I have searched for that article recently, but come up empty, has anyone else read it?
Marlin 336 in .25 Bullberry would be a nice ticket.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

When you get to thinking about it, there are lots of very interesting possibilities for our leverguns. If I live long enough and don't continue to get my attention diverted, I may yet come up with my "ideal running bunny shooter" which is a 6mm/454 Casull :D . Rossi action, of course; Lyman receiver sight, fiber-optic front...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep, the pointy bullets would have to be in a low-recoil gun and/or rotary magazine gun.
earlmck wrote:If I live long enough and don't continue to get my attention diverted, I may yet come up with my "ideal running bunny shooter" which is a 6mm/454 Casull :D . Rossi action, of course; Lyman receiver sight, fiber-optic front...
The ".243R Short" is a .44 Mag necked to .243, and pushes an 80 grain bullet at 2500 fps. Be pretty fun in a Contender, if nothing else.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I've always thought that a 6.5/.30-30 Ackley Improved would be the bees knees for deer and, with the old 160 grain roundnose bullet, might make a decent short-range elk and black bear cartridge. Duplicate the original 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer ballistics, a cartridge that always seems to have been way more effective than its paper ballistics would suggest.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ah,
A fellow travelor.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I always thought a 35/30 (30/30 necked up to 35) would be great for bringing life back to an old shot out barrel levergun.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Pointy bullets in a lever to me means you just load two, chamber, magazine.

Doc, I think you'd enjoy Paco's book on Leveractions. He discusses quite a few wildcats from small to pretty big.

Cat
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have always been longing to bore a worn out .33 W.C.F. barrel to .416 Barnes. The problem is, though, the lack of appropriate bullets in that diameter. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Remington40x wrote:I've always thought that a 6.5/.30-30 Ackley Improved would be the bees knees for deer and, with the old 160 grain roundnose bullet, might make a decent short-range elk and black bear cartridge. Duplicate the original 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer ballistics, a cartridge that always seems to have been way more effective than its paper ballistics would suggest.
I had thoughts of a similar thing but rather go with the 7-30 Waters case necked down to 6.5mm !
But I was gonna use 120 and 140 grain bullets with the nose's snipped .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'll bet the 444 Marlin has been necked down into something. What has it been turned to? Might be a good idea for Turnbull's new 1886 lever.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

kaschi wrote:I'll bet the 444 Marlin has been necked down into something.
I want to say the .375JDJ is based on the .444.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

After this fall and some things settle down, I will investigate the wildcats with a bit more earnest.

I am thinking on 444 down to 356, 338, or 8mm
356 down to .321 or .323
307 opened up to .321 or .323

Also thinking on a 32 Special "improved"

I also like Clements 348DC, more bullet availability there, I think three or four from Hawk.

I also like the idea of the 416 barnes

How about a 3200Hawk in a BLR?

I am open to the GNR 8mm as well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:I am thinking on 444 down to 338, or 8mm
I know the 444 has been necked down to 338 and called the 338 JDJ #2 and if I'm not mistaken he made a 8mm JDJ off the 444 case as well !

The 338 JDJ #2 would be cool in a Contender barrel to go with my 444 barrel I think !
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Not so much of a wildcat idea... but I"d like to whump up a Savage 99 20 inch carbine in 35 Remington... That would be just so cool...Leave all kinds of handloading options... or just purchase good old Kore Lokts :)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As possibly the sole dissenter... I have enough to learn about the factory chamberings to go galavanting around trying to learn something entirely new! :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I always thought a 35/30 (30/30 necked up to 35) would be great for bringing life back to an old shot out barrel levergun.
This has already been done, but I don't remember its proper name. I don't know if it has any advantages over .35 Remington, except if you already have a levergun with a bad bore, then you could have the barrel rebored.

Necked down .444's- from .30 to .375 these are JDJ cartridges. IIRC JDJ uses the .225 Winchester case for 7mm JDJ and below. The .225Win is basically the same dimensions as the .30-30 case, with a thinner rim, and maybe a bit thicker brass.
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

Would the pressure of some of these rounds that have been suggested be dangerous in most lever guns? Just wondering.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Ironwood wrote:Would the pressure of some of these rounds that have been suggested be dangerous in most lever guns? Just wondering.
The chamber pressure may not be to bad on the "JDJ" cases , however the overall cartridge length of the 338 and 375 JDJ are gonna be an issue in a Marlin 1895/444/336 action .
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

6pt-sika wrote:
Remington40x wrote:I've always thought that a 6.5/.30-30 Ackley Improved would be the bees knees for deer and, with the old 160 grain roundnose bullet, might make a decent short-range elk and black bear cartridge. Duplicate the original 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer ballistics, a cartridge that always seems to have been way more effective than its paper ballistics would suggest.
I had thoughts of a similar thing but rather go with the 7-30 Waters case necked down to 6.5mm !
But I was gonna use 120 and 140 grain bullets with the nose's snipped .
Exactly! I'd love to see Hornady introduce this round in conjunction with Mossberg or Marlin.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright