Load and Accessory Questions for New Chiappa 1886 .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redrider03
Levergunner

Load and Accessory Questions for New Chiappa 1886 .45-70

Post by redrider03 »

Hey guys,
I just bought a new Chiappa 1886 .45-70. I bought 405 grain Oregon Trail Laser Cast RNFP's and 350 grain Hornady Spirepoints and Reloader 7 and H4198. What are you guys' favorite loads for these components? Also thinking about getting IMR 3031 and Trailboss, what about those? Guys that have 1886's what accessories did you get for them? I am looking at getting a Kirkpatrick Leather Butt Tamer. I would like to put a tang sight on it. Where could I find replacement sights? I would like to put a buckhorn rear sight and a brass pointed front sight. Thanks for the help. Will post pictures of it when I pick it up on Saturday!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Load and Accessory Questions for New Chiappa 1886 .45-70

Post by 2X22 »

The 405gr and 45grs of 3031 will give you somewhere around 1500fps which should give you good accuracy and no leading.

That is very close to the load I have used to take quite a few elk.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson