OT- Scored some Sierra .41 210gr JHC bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Scored some Sierra .41 210gr JHC bullets

Post by 336A »

Does anyone here have any experience with this bullet and 2400? Also how well do these bullets work on game such little piggy's? Right now I have some loaded on top of 18gr and 18.5gr of 2400 to try in my new Ruger BH.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Scored some Sierra .41 210gr JHC bullets

Post by blackhawk44 »

Used many 240gr JHC's in a .44 and found they are not penetrators but nearly a varmint bullet. Best use was lung shots only on deer. Any other tissue or angle became a problem with penetration. One high hit on a 40 yard doe damaged about 8" of spine but only left tiny shards of the bullet. Lung hits usually separated the jacket and core, but damage was extensive. These results were from handguns, not a carbine.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Just got back from the range with my new Ruger .41 magnum BH and have this to report. The gun is without doubt very accurate but the user does not possess the skill to take advantage of it, I seemed to keep pulling my shots to the left for some reason. The grips leave a heck of a lot to be desired and I will be upgrading to those tacky looking Houges. I don't care about looks as much as I do comfort with the full bore loads.

The gun seemed to really like 18.5gr of 2400 behind either the Hornady or the Sierra 210gr bullets. This is good becuase I don't think I could take more than that load puts out in recoil or muzzle flash. I have never used 2400 before but have always heard how flashy it is, but great googly moogly I didn't think it was going to be FLASHY like a dang bolt of lightining When I touched off my first handload :o I almost thought I had a kaboom. I had to stop and look at the gun just to make double certain I didn't. The gentleman next to me didn't particularly like it either.

I can see a lot of loads using Unique in the future to get better aquainted with this awesome piece of hardware. I'm now thinking about loading these bullets over about 9.0gr of Unique and going from there. Sure do love the versatility of the .41 Mag.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Geez, 336 - I could have written that post! :lol:

The stock grips are, indeed, awful. So, I tried the Hougue
rubber grips for the same reasons you want to. I was still
pushing shots left. So, I tried some smooth Micarta grips
next. No more pushing left.

The problem now is that those grips are a wee bit small for
my hand. They're also kinda sharp-edged on the bottom, so I
cannot grip the gun with my RH pinky under the grip to help keep
the gun from "rolling" up in my hand. So, I'm using a conventional
grip and that seems to work the best.

I'm still, literally, "coming to grips" with that revolver. It will
be some time, methinks. I'll need lotsa practice, that's for certain!
The 220gr Speer SJWC over 17 gr. of 2400 is showing some promise.
I shot that yesterday, and it's obvious that I need to get used
to the concept of a single-action revolver.

I've shot that same load that you're talking about in a S&W, and
18.5 gr. of 2400 was the most accurate for me, too. I didn't notice
any huge ball of fire, though. What's your barrel length?

7.0 gr of WW231 pushing a 215gr. LSWC is a nice light load.
Strong enough for social work, too, and very, very accurate.

-Stretch
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Good morning stretch the barrel length is 4/58" on my BH. You would have thought I was trying to signal Mars or something with those 2400 loads :D What exacerbated my problem with the stocks is I was shooting at a indoor range and it was warm in there (first time shooting there). I'm still getting use to the feel of the single action grip as well. Up to this point I've been shooting my S&W M10 mostly. I was also using the conventional grip with my pinky under the grip. The dang revolver hammered my pinky on the bench under recoil when I benched the dang thing.

For a general do all type of load I'm going to load up some 215gr SWC with enough Unique to get around 1050 fps. I can't think of a whole lot that that type of load won't accomplish for my purposes. I shot some Rem 210gr JSP that I had left from some time ago. I wish I had more and that that ammo weren't so coslty as the Ruger really liked it. It did well with the Speer 210 DCHP factory load as well.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Howdy, I too have a BlackHawk in 41 Mag. You might want to give Accurate Arms #9 powder a try. I do love it in all the 41s I have owned. I put a set of Herrett grips on my BlackHawk and really like them. They are longer than the stock grips and actually are the same size as the set I have on my Super BlackHawk. I have also used the Hogue wood grips with pretty good success.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

4 5/8", eh? I wonder if all of that powder is burnt by
the time it reaches the end of that relatively short
barrel. 2400 is also slow enough to use as a rifle powder,
so that's why I'm wondering. Not to worry though, somebody on
this forum with more knowledge will explain it to us!! :D

Unique or 231 or something like that might work better with the
smaller tube. And I agree, 1050+- fps would do most of what
needs doing unless you're after moose or something.

-Stretch
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

+1
Accurate #9 with .41 mag.
One of my favs for this caliber, FWIW.
otteray
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

336A, your experience with a short barreled revolver is normal. They're generally blast cannons when the loads get a little warm. I had a FA 83 in 454 Casull with a 7.5" tube and foolishly had FA cut it down to ejector rod length. Whatever that ends up being. It was short and a handy piece, but that thing was literally no fun to shoot with high end loads. I got rid of it and replaced it with another 7.5". Won't do that again.

I've had a number of Ruger SBH's in 44 mag and with each and every one of them I had to replace the stock grips with Pachmayr's. The recoil is unmanageable in my hands using standard Ruger grips. And, I'm not really recoil sensitive. I have a Ruger Bisley in 475 Linebaugh and I can shoot major loads through it longer than most would want to without nary a problem other than smacking my fingers with the trigger guard. That's because the loads were hot, hot, hot.
Old Law Dawg