OT--Springfield 50-70 like Buffalo Bills

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Springfield 50-70 like Buffalo Bills

Post by getitdone1 »

Anyone here have a Springfield chambered for 50-70 like Buffalo Bill used to kill many buffalo? Isn't that right? I think so.

Believe he named this gun Lucretia Borga or something close to this.

Might be interested in such a gun.

Don
Hobie

Re: OT--Springfield 50-70 like Buffalo Bills

Post by Hobie »

We had one at the shop a couple of weeks back. Not at all heavy. If you read his autobiography it would seem he was a wizard at operating the action. I think he once said that he killed several buffalo with only a 50' interval between them while running them on horseback. That's some fast shooting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

US $1200.00 - $1800.00??

They have gone up in price! Anyone else besides me remember when nobody wanted those of black powder rifles and the ol' Krags that were considered "unsafe to shoot"??.....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Hobie,

Thanks for that link. Seems like there'd be a market for a quality, 100% correct, replica of this gun. Did any manufacturer ever do this?

That 50-70 is a dandy of a historic cartridge and I'd like to see it make a come-back.

You'd think by advertising "A gun just like Buffalo Bill used to kill buffalo to feed the railroad workers"--or something like that--would find a lot of interested buyers. The big 50 cal. is also a part of the attraction.

Didn't Buffalo Bill kill over 4,000 buffalo with this gun?

Some of you may not know it but there is a Buffalo Bill autobiography that's great reading. I no longer have it.

Don
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Cimmaron was supposed to bring out a .50-70 Trap Door 1873 Carbine several years ago, but I don't think it ever happened.

I have an 1866 Allin conversion Infantry Rifle that was "Sporterized" back in the day. Barrel and stock shortened and front sight moved back. Has a very large "S" carved in the left side of the butt about 3/16" deep. Sure wish it could talk. Could have been at the Wagon Box or Hayfield Fight. It may have been one of the rifles issued to pioneers on the frontier too. I would sure like to know. It is very obvious it was a working rifle, not someones toy. May have a few Buffalo, Indians, ?? to it's credit. Again, sure wish it could talk!

Originally "A gun just like Buffalo Bill used"!

Cody's 1866, "Lucretia Borgia", is displayed at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY. Sometime in the past the butt was broken and all that is left is a long, sharp splinter along the comb.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Some may not realize that the 50-70 was the official U.S. Army cartridge from 1866-1873. The 45-70 replaced it in 1873 and it served for 19 years.

So the 50-70 seen plenty of "Old West action." When you consider the load--50 cal with 70 gr of black powder you can see it was close in power to the 45-70. I read that Custer went down with a 50-70 at the Battle Of The Little Big Horn while, I believe, most of the men in that battle were armed with 45-70's. Also read of a Captain ??? in that battle who also used the 50-70 rifle. They said his ramrod came in handy for helping others at this battle knock-out their stuck 45-70 brass in their carbines. I've read this was a big problem at this battle.

For those here who have not seen this cartridge, try to do so. You'll be impressed, and it'll be a "little trip back in time" for you.

It killed lots of buffalo and seen considerable use in the Old West.

Have it in my small cartridge collection.

Perhaps someone can tell me: Didn't the first 50-70 cartridges have an internal primer? What year did they go to the modern type of primer?

Don
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

I do not know when they went to the centerfire primed case that we are familiar with, I do have
a number of 45-70 .50-70 and .45 caliber revolver cartridges that are made of copper instead of brass and at first glance appear to be rimfires.
They also have an odd looking crimp in the case head, Correct me if I remember wrong but
I have long believed these to be called "Bennet Inside Primed Cartridges"
The copper case and the crimped case head go along way in explaining the problems reported with trapdoors pulling the heads off of fired cartridges.
I remember reading somewhere that the U.S. Army was directed to furnish free to civilians the
.50-70 cartriges some short time after they adopted the smaller .45 caliber round.

creosote