Modified My Henry .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Modified My Henry .22

Post by jsimmons »

Stripped the paint off my Henry H001T receiver cover and barrel band, and mounted a creedmore sight.

Last edited by jsimmons on Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

NICE rifle .It would look good with a crescent buttplate.Heres my two henrys ( on top).I put a lyman no.2 tang sight on my goldenboy
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

thats pretty slick
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Nice, what did you use to take the paint off? My big loop would look good like that.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Is the cover aluminum? did you put a clear coat on it? Looks nice. That sight should get you out there a long ways before you run out of elevation. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i'll bet you can quite literally drive tacks with that setup! excellent! looks great.
cable
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

jazman wrote:Nice, what did you use to take the paint off? My big loop would look good like that.
I used CitrusStrip (because it's biodegradable) and it took a long time, probably because of the way I did it. If you use CitrusStrip, I recommend that you

1) Get a metal container that you can fill with the stripper and that's big enough to lay the parts in resulting in the parts being completely submerged.

2) Scuff the paint up with some steel wool (0 or 00) to break through the glossy part of the paint.

3) Fill the the pan with stripper to about 1.5 inches (assuming you have a pan that you can lay the parts down in).

4) Lay the parts in it, and add stripper to complete submerge the parts.

5) Wait for at least three hours before removing the parts from the stripper soak.

You may have to repeat steps 4 and 5 until the paint is completely removed. I brushed the stripper on (as recommended by the stripper instructions) and it took me most of the day and a lot of 000 steel wool to get the paint off the receiver cover. Don't believe the claim of "30 minutes".

If you don't want to wait 3-4 hours, get stripper that is more aggressive (and probably less environment friendly).

Make sure you clean the parts thoroughly before reassembling your rifle.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Is the cover aluminum? did you put a clear coat on it? Looks nice. That sight should get you out there a long ways before you run out of elevation. :D
It's an alloy called "ZAMAC" (zinc-aluminum-magnesium alloy). I haven't put a clear coat on it yet, buy I might. Brownells has something called "Alumi-Hyde" in clear matte and gloss. If I do clear coat it, I'll be leaning toward gloss simply because it would easier to clean.

The sight is made by Pedersoli (part# USA-433 at $55), and they actually make a nicer one that's an inch shorter and has a better windage adjustment, but costs four times as much.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That does look pretty sweet. Almost makes me want a little Henry.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

If you don't want a sight quite that fancy (or I imagine expensive) I put a Taraus tang sight on mine.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default ... 5273_15302

It's a very high quality tang, and for low bucks.

Just love that Henry, I never thought to strip mine that way. That looks really nice!
de k8bor

Dave
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Did you change the front sight at all?
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

k8bor wrote:If you don't want a sight quite that fancy (or I imagine expensive) I put a Taraus tang sight on mine.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default ... 5273_15302

It's a very high quality tang, and for low bucks.

Just love that Henry, I never thought to strip mine that way. That looks really nice!
I looked at that, but I already have a Marbles, and wanted something that looked less modern. A Creedmore style sight adds that vintage look that I like.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Very cool! 8) Did you change the front sight at all?
Yeah, it's got a Lyman 17A-AMI globe sight on it.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I can't seem to find that one on the Wolfe track site. Can you send me an addy to it? I really like the looks of that one too, and might like to try one of those out also.

I never thought that much about tang sights until a few weeks ago, when I put the one on MY henry, and the accuracy improved so much I'm thinking about putting them on several other rifles too.

Thanks,
de k8bor

Dave
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

k8bor wrote:I can't seem to find that one on the Wolfe track site. Can you send me an addy to it? I really like the looks of that one too, and might like to try one of those out also.

I never thought that much about tang sights until a few weeks ago, when I put the one on MY henry, and the accuracy improved so much I'm thinking about putting them on several other rifles too.

Thanks,
Track of the Wolf part number is RS-CREED-3-WE.

If you have the money to spare, Pedersoli makes the USA-461. This sight has the following characteristics:

1) Has a better windage adjustment with adjustment marks.

2) 1 inch shorter (in the folded down position, the elevation knob won't hit the stock behind the comb).

3) Adjustable flip-up tilt amount to account for different comb angles

4) The vernier on the side is marked better.

They're $200, but they are much better sights than the $55 special I'm using. If you're serious about target shooting, the USA-461 is the one to get. (There's also a 3-inch tall version but I don't recall the part#.)
Aim small, miss small...
---------
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Thanks a lot. I happen to be working on making some accurate blackpowder loads for my Marlin 1895CB (see my winter challenge thread), and really like the looks of these sights. I have some Marbles on order, but have some other rifles I could use them on, too.

I don't have the cowboy Henry, but I'm thinking my H001 will even look good the way you did it. If you ever coat it, please thread the results.
de k8bor

Dave
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Jeffs outfitters also sells tang sights by pedersoli ,pretty reasonable too
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Man, that is real nice! Let's see some 50yd groups!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

BlaineG wrote:Man, that is real nice! Let's see some 50yd groups!
I usually shoot offhand, but I'll see about doing a group test this weekend.
Aim small, miss small...
---------
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

looks very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot