South Texas Safari for Bison and Black Hawaiian Ram - Final

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

South Texas Safari for Bison and Black Hawaiian Ram - Final

Post by crs »

Ever since I bought my 1886 .45-90 a few years ago, I have wanted to shoot a bison with it. It has taken a half dozen species in Texas and New Mexico and has even been to Africa with 86er to blast a few DG critters for bullet tests, but never used on a bison.

Finally, the stars alligned and we were able to get off on a bison hunt with 86er/Joe at his place near Hondo, Texas. My grandson, Troupe went along to shoot on of the many types of rams on the ranch. We arrived at 7 PM Thursday night, unloaded our gear and then walked around checking out the game and trying to decide on an animal for Troupe. We determined that it would be one of the several black Hawaiian rams on the place. Since the temperature was topping 100 degrees every day, we decided to hunt the bison early Friday morning so it could be shot, skinned, quartered and put into the cooler as soon as possible to avoid spoiling the meat and then go after the ram.

Friday morning we were up at 5:15 for coffee and were out just after dawn scanning the fields for one of the bison. At the North end of a half mile long field, there were several of the larger animals, including longhorns, a water buffalo, watusi cattle, and a mature female bison with decent horns. The challenge was to separate the bison from the others without stampeding them all back into 1000 acres of heavy brush where they could be difficult to locate. Fortunately, some of the smaller game began to drift toward the water hole at the far south end of the field and the bison slowly followed, separating itself from the ornery water buffalo which had been attacking stock trailers and such of late. As Joe with his 450 NE double rifle, myself, and Jimmy the camera man, slowly walked toward the south at an angle to bring us closer to the bison, Joe hatched a plan to get us within shooting range for my iron sighted rifle.

When the bison dropped down into the water hole depression to get water, we quickmarched up to the north rim of the depression. Just then, the bison walked up the far side, turned broadside and stopped about 50 yards away, paying no attention to us. It was time to shoot and while raising the rifle, my mind was reviewing the proper sight picture for the hot 450 grain FMJ Kodiak bullets loaded to 2150 fps by Grizzly Cartridge Company. You see these were the DG loads Joe had used in Africa and I had not shot but a few of them a year ago. But it is my rifle, so surely I could hit such a big target with ease. Aiming for the lung area, the first shot drew dust on the side of the bison and it contionued to ignore us. The second shot must have been too high, as there was no dust and the bison ignored us. Shot number three drew dust up on the back (later we learded that it hit just under the spine) and the bison finally turned its head to look at us.

It is common knowledge among bison hunters that after a lung shot, they will often show no reaction and just go on feeding until they fall over and die. I asked Joe if we should just wait for it to fall over or what? He said no, just keep shooting until it drops. The bison must have understand Joe because it began to walk around to our side of the depression. Since we did not know it's intentions (fight or flight), I aimed for the ribs and hit it again. The bison chose flight and began to run north. No more Mr. Nice Guy, I went for a shoulder shot to break it down and when the bullet hit with a loud THWACK, the running bison collapsed. Joe and I were delighted with the shot and glad not to have to follow a wounded bison in the brush and Jummy was elated to have captured the action on video. After a couple of pictures with the trophy I(Troupe joined me for those) Richard lifted the beast up with a tractor front end loader and took it to the cleaning station at the lodge where Jimmy and his dad Terry Frye gutted, skinned, and quartered the bison and hung the quarters in the 40 degree walk in cooler befgore 10:00 am.

I scrambled 18 eggs, mixed in two pounds of spicy breakfast sausage from Troupe's blonde pig and we all ate breakfast and rested for a while.

At noon, Joe came in and said "Troupe, get your rifle and let's go shoot a ram". In no time, there were six folks in a pickup headed for the brush to locate one of the rams. We were in luck and Joe soon spotted two rams bedded down under mesquite trees near the dirt track. He backed up the truck, put Terry to to stand in the trail for the rams to watch, and then quietly drove down wind of the rams. We quietly disembarked and trailed out through the mesquit upwing toward the bedded rams. Joe led, followed by Troupe with his 7mm-08, Jimmy with his camera, two lodge guests that had never hunted, and finally yours truly. After a few twists, turns, and stops to test the wind with dust, Joe stopped all but Troupe and they sneaked forward to take a shot. Troupe's first offhand rifle shot at game struck the ram near the back of its ribs and though mortally wounded it made its way off into the brush. Joe and Jimmy studied the tracks and before long Jimmy found blood and was off trailing the wounded ram for 100 yards or so whre he did see it. What a bonus to have a tracker as camera man! Joe instructed Troupe just where to shoot through the thick brush to disable the ram and Troupe made the shot, anchoring the ram so that he could approach it for the Coup de Gras.

Again a quick photo session and back to the cleaning station to get the animal taken care of before the hair slips and the cape is ruined.

Intrepid white hunter completes posing ram for pictures:

Happy hunter and proud granddad (CRS) with nice BIG sheep.

Terry owns Buck and Duck Taxidermy in Rye, Colorado and he took both heads back with him for mounting.
Mucho meat soon to come from Po Boy's Outback Wild Game Processing where we took the bison.
Last edited by crs on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: South Texas Safari for Bison and Black Hawaiian Ram

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats indeed!!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats to hunter & grandpa! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great shooting on the bison with just the right rifle and plenty of power (I'll leave the reporting of details to CRS). The ram provided several good lessons in conservation, sportsmanship, shot placement and tracking. Troupe did a great job and solidified my respect for the 7mm-08/7mm Mauser cartridges.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Another good job Troupe!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on your Ram!!!!!
Ricky

DWWC
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

very nice - great-looking ram
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Congrats to hunter & grandpa! :mrgreen:
:D
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: South Texas Safari for Bison and Black Hawaiian Ram - Final

Post by crs »

BTT for Final pics.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ahh, finally the details are exposed. I hope some of the 1886 guys picked up on the capabilities of that rifle - a 450 grain at 2150 fps! Great hunts and my pleasure. A side effect is that we had two spectators that had never hunted watch the ram hunt. They are both coming back for a hunt of their own!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

CRS, I take it you were shooting 45-70's?
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Kim,
No, custom loaded ammo in .45-90 cases.
When I first bought the rifle, I tried many brands of ammo in both .45-70 and .45-90 and made several detailed posts on the Leverguns forum about the results. I have handloaded in .45-90 brass Beartooth cast bullets and NF, Nosler, and Kodiak premium bullets for special purposes.
Early on, I did take several head of game with the Factory Winchester .45-70 Nosler Protected point 300 grain bullet at about 1830 fps and the performance was between very good to devastatingly excellent. We also loaded that Nosler PP in .45-90 up to 2600 fps (varmint load) and backed down to 2200 fps for hunting - Joe shot his leopard with one of these - needless to say, a one shot kill.

I still have a few boxes of good factory .45-70 ammo for those occasions when the heavy loads are not needed and I am out of lighter loads in .45-90 cases. As you and I agreed way back, the Winchester 1886 in .45-90 is a great combination that can take you from cowboy action shooting loads right on up to real African DG loads and still use .45-70 ammo when desired. The rifles are also as accurate as I can shoot either off hand or off the bench with the tang peep.
Maybe a future project would be to get Joe to make me a scope mount for my 1886 like he did for his 1886 EL so I can see just how accurate the rifle can be. He has already made a minor change to the front tip of the comb so that the Marbles Tang Peep will fold all the way down without touching the stock. That littlle change noticibly improved the handling when using the Marbles folding rear barrel sight rather than the tang peep. :)
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

86er,
As you say, that is a pretty stout load in a 9.5 pound rifle with a curved steel buttplate. :shock: Good news is the there were no bruises, cuts, sore muscles or any other evidence of heavy recoil damage to my shoulder or arm. No doubt in my mind but that those 1886 rifles were meant to hunting rifles and not bench rest target rifles. I prefer to shoot them while standing on my hind legs. :lol:
I plan to come up with a simple standing rest to practice with stout loads so that I do not need to use the Lead Sled at a bench. Maybe a special fitting on my big Velbon camera tripod? Or maybe go all out and practice from African style tripod shooting sticks? :D