O/T case lube alternatives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

O/T case lube alternatives

Post by m.wun »

Now that I just ran out of case lube(Hornady One Shot spray type) I was wondering if
anyone uses anything non firearms related for lube?I happen to like the spray type because
its easy to apply.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: O/T case lube alternatives

Post by airedaleman »

Years ago, before all the fancy stuff came out, lanolin was the cat's meow for case lube. Wonder if you can still get it in the drug store? (Come to think of it, ARE there any drug stores nowadays?)

Have read that automatic transmission fluid works well. Intend to try it the next time I buy some for Rienzie, my big black
'98 Grand Cherokee who just turned 341,000 miles...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a shop teacher in H.S. that told me he used STP oil additive on an ink pad from the office supply store. I never could figure out what to do with the rest of the can.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Try a tin of "Mink Oil" - it's darn near as good as Imperial die wax...
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Anhydrous Wool Fat. You can get it from the chemist ( Drug Store). Best stuff I've used.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use STP on bottle-neck cases. Just a dab on my finger and thumb then rub it around the neck and shoulder and the case body just ahead of the extractor groove. Too much will dent the case so be sparing with it. Don't forget to lube the inside of necks with Motor Mica or powdered graphite.
I use STP in a couple of old tractors and just save the old bottles and drain them together and into a glass jar that I keep in the loading room. Takes about 24 hours for one to drain out.
Use the spray-on stuff for everything else. I think the last I bought was from Midway and is aerosol. The salesperson even asked me if I minded aerosol and said they were selling it cheap. Only about $2 for a can.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Johnson's Paste Wax -- a tiny little smear works wonders.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I was forming some brass and run out of Imperial, had a tub of Mink Oil leather dressing on the shelf. Worked just as good. Dont buy Imperial any more. Mink oil is a fraction of the price, works just as well, and one tub last forever.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Since yer asking for a spray, some folks get some pure lanolin, from a pharmacy, and dilute it with isopropyl alcohol, 1 part lanolin to 4 parts 99% alcohol (91% can be used, but 72% has too much warer in it). Put it in a spray bottle for use.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

It does'nt have to be a spray but I am lazy.I thought of silicone spray,dry lube,or some
other can of something from the garage.I do have some T/C bore butter but something thinner
may be better.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here